Hadorei's sketchbook
Hi everyone! :)  I'm new here. To begin I'm just posting some figure drawings from live models (and one sculpture) over the past few months...I'm looking to start drawing and practicing more on my own from photos and books. I hope this will give me some motivation as I haven't been working in my sketchbook much for a long time!  I feel like I don't really get beyond where I am with figure drawing and it frustrates me a bit, I welcome constructive criticism. I don't know how to do digital painting really, so all my work for now will be drawing and painting by hand. I don't know if my images are too large for the sketchbook, the quality of the photos isn't great! 

Areas I want to work on in my sketchbook this year:
-Anatomy, figures, portraits
-Foreshortening!
-Perspective & buildings (I'm totally a noob with this)
-Animals
-Landscapes
-Rendering values & depth more effectively
-Plants/foliage
-I especially want to work on more studies with paint as I tend to shy away

Thanks for checking this out, I'll post more recent figure drawings soon so I can have some record of where I'm beginning here. I welcome constructive feedback and especially suggestions for where to begin with achieving my goals this year. :)

Hey welcome to Crimson Daggers Hadorei :).

You've got some really nice studies there - I like how you've taken your time over them and given them care and attention. I also like your rendering skills, I see core shadows and reflected light in your renders (stuff I only recently learned about myself that really makes a difference to realism).

For anatomy studies, I recommend Proko's YouTube channel - high quality free content:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClM2LuQ...23462tQzBg

And I personally also studied from Michael Hampton's book Figure Drawing Design and Invention - I recommend it.

You have a lot of goals there - I suggest just picking a few of those to focus on first rather than trying to learn everything at once.

As for painting, I just started trying acrylics myself and am having great fun. Although I found it really difficult to get the right colours and values when I mix paint so I am starting off just doing monochromatic studies so at least I can get the values right to begin with before moving onto colour as well.

Good luck - let's do this!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Hadorei! Welcome to the Crimson Daggers.

I've seen your list of things to do. It seems you got work cut out in the days ahead. Maybe it is best to quantify your goals further so the whole thing won't seem as daunting. For starters, I recommend orienting smart goals into your plan of action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7wJoRo5MdE

Btw, Amit's a CD member (http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/user-691.html). One of the most helpful and knowledgeable people you can meet here.

That said, good luck! Here's to seeing this SB updated regularly.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(02-25-2017, 09:17 AM)Artloader Wrote: Hey welcome to Crimson Daggers Hadorei :).

You've got some really nice studies there - I like how you've taken your time over them and given them care and attention.  I also like your rendering skills, I see core shadows and reflected light in your renders (stuff I only recently learned about myself that really makes a difference to realism).

For anatomy studies, I recommend Proko's YouTube channel - high quality free content:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClM2LuQ...23462tQzBg

And I personally also studied from Michael Hampton's book Figure Drawing Design and Invention - I recommend it.

You have a lot of goals there - I suggest just picking a few of those to focus on first rather than trying to learn everything at once.

As for painting, I just started trying acrylics myself and am having great fun.  Although I found it really difficult to get the right colours and values when I mix paint so I am starting off just doing monochromatic studies so at least I can get the values right to begin with before moving onto colour as well.

Good luck - let's do this!

Thanks! :)  Yeah I have a huge playlist of figure resources on YouTube...I just have to go through and do them all and have good references. >_<  So when you say study from, do you mean you're copying the drawings in there? I have a lot of figure drawing books but I'm never sure if drawing everything in there will really help me or not? Maybe a stupid question...hahaha

You're right, I always overload myself and then do nothing. 
I paint mostly with oils but acrylics are faster...should I post finished paintings in here too or in some other thread?
Going museum drawing with a friend tomorrow so will post the results. :)

Some studies, I think from Anatomy Lessons from the Great Masters

(02-25-2017, 02:17 PM)John Wrote: Hadorei! Welcome to the Crimson Daggers.

I've seen your list of things to do. It seems you got work cut out in the days ahead. Maybe it is best to quantify your goals further so the whole thing won't seem as daunting. For starters, I recommend orienting smart goals into your plan of action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7wJoRo5MdE

Btw, Amit's a CD member (http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/user-691.html). One of the most helpful and knowledgeable people you can meet here.

That said, good luck! Here's to seeing this SB updated regularly.

Thanks John :)  I think my list is more of a general to-do, you're right that maybe I should focus more. I guess anatomy/figure/portrait is the most obvious one to me, but really would like to do some landscapes and foliage type studies as well. I'll check out the video you linked, thanks!!

Hi Hadorei!

Those last two studies are great. I think it'd be particularly good to do more figure work like that last mermaid drawing which is a bit more loose and has thicker line work, it has a natural grounded solidity that you mentioned to me wanting to bring more of into your work.

There's something nice about how you've brought in imaginal elements and integrated those into the drawing and I think exploring that more in some sketches could be fruitful and free things up a bit.

It would also be an opportunity to bring in some of the other study subjects you mentioned (plants/animals/values) in a loose and easy going way.

You can definitely post paintings, both wip and finished, into your sb; please do!

"If you want liberation in this life, there is no area that you do not watch. Watch the breathing, watch the posture, watch the flow of energy, watch the texture of the mind, watch the response to objects." - Namgyal Rinpoche
Results of today's museum drawing. This sculpture was much more challenging than I thought at first, mostly because it was extremely smooth and rounded, yet also a masculine face. Any angles were so subtle it was hard to see what exactly was going on to make it look masculine. For awhile my drawing made poor Hermes look like he was about 12 years old, I think I managed to get it to maybe 17!? I tried to analyze where I was going wrong but didn't quite get there. I think I made it worse with too much shading on the light side...next time I would stand farther away instead of looking up at it slightly. 

(02-26-2017, 08:23 PM)aks9 Wrote: Hi Hadorei!

Those last two studies are great. I think it'd be particularly good to do more figure work like that last mermaid drawing which is a bit more loose and has thicker line work, it has a natural grounded solidity that you mentioned to me wanting to bring more of into your work.

There's something nice about how you've brought in imaginal elements and integrated those into the drawing and I think exploring that more in some sketches could be fruitful and free things up a bit.

It would also be an opportunity to bring in some of the other study subjects you mentioned (plants/animals/values) in a loose and easy going way.

You can definitely post paintings, both wip and finished, into your sb; please do!

I like the suggestion of adding more creative elements into looser figure studies, thanks!! :)   Sun