Joseph's shiny new sketchbook
oooh I really like the green on the suit, I'm definitely going to do that, thanks!

I took that suggestion with the color and I think it looks cool. Also sketch versus ambient light render. I like this kind of method because it's actually pretty easy to do, and it looks pretty polished

Attached Files Image(s)

Can you explain what that under his nose it like a breathing device or is that a glass moustache?I would probably change the color of that to something else it kinda blend with the face i would say.Specially in smaller scale.Which is a good reminder to always zoom out to evalute your work as it progress.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
It's like a mustache made out of transparent skin like a fish's fin

Maybe you could play around bit more on the fish theme to make it clearer to the viewer. For example you could take out the ears to make it more fish like with a bigger mouth and change the skin to be more scale like.But it alien so... anything possible because it genetic modification.A quick trick to play around with face is the liquify tool it good tool to for last minute tweak.

Also what on is head some kind of Mohawk prosthetic? I kinda feel like it part of is suit because it doesn't read as hair atleast to me personally.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Yeah you’re right I’ll play with it a bit. It’s supposed to be part of the suit, like a pad for the helmet so it doesn’t sit directly on the skull. Real astronauts usually have something like that which goes around the whole head.

great to see you've been tweaking it a bunch, like the concept of a fin-like tash.
Your alien dood is lookin' cool. Glad you liked my suggestion. I like the way you added the color to the toes and the larger goblet works even better IMHO

Your latest looks great, nice color choice and general character design. Love the mustache, gives the figure a ton of personality and because it's semi transparent it also adds to the sci fi feel, so that was a great call!

Made an impressionistic study of the anatomy sculpture in my room. I really liked doing the clay material, the subtle changes in value are kind of satisfying to me.

sketch vs. final:

nice edge control and subtle shadows on the clay figure study
I can definitely tell it's made of clay from the painting.
makes me want to do some still studies  of my own.
Genuinely don't feel I'm good enough to comment but truly loving your development :) I also followed you on Instagram, hope that's OK. Thank you again for your help and I look forward to chatting with you more :) Ps. Would love to see more imagination work from you.. But your life drawing / still art is inspiring.

🦇 33 / F / BPL UK
🖤 Imogen's Sketchbook of '22
🖤 ART Instagram
🖤 (NEW) DeviantART
🖤 Social Media Links

Thanks for the follow! I want to start a new imaginative piece, but I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm having serious art block where I have a bunch of sort of ideas, but no coherent vision at the moment. I know I should just start drawing

I experience the same thing or at least after creating a piece I have a hangover and dry spell afterwards. I have got a document now where it's just full of thumbnails and notes to whack the idea down and eventually when I do fell like painting I have a cache of ideas established. Dunno if that's useful to you or not.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
(06-27-2022, 02:33 PM)JosephCow Wrote: Thanks for the follow! I want to start a new imaginative piece, but I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm having serious art block where I have a bunch of sort of ideas, but no coherent vision at the moment. I know I should just start drawing

Absolutely.  I downloaded 'Sketch a day' which I think is by the people who do InkTober challenge, or someone who shares it..  Anyhoo they post challenges daily.  Some are obscure like todays "Holy" I'd have no clue what to do for that..  but just seeing what others have done for it can be inspiring.  Atm I'm trying to figure out value painting and then colouring over them.  Unsure I like how washed it can get but pretty pleased with my first real attempt.  Maybe try something outside of your comfort zone :) look farward to what you decide x

🦇 33 / F / BPL UK
🖤 Imogen's Sketchbook of '22
🖤 ART Instagram
🖤 (NEW) DeviantART
🖤 Social Media Links

That's a good idea, I should look into something like that to get me going. I know I want to do more outdoor environment work and architecture to get out of my comfort zone so I might have a go at that, too.

Digging that impressionistic sculpture piece. Brings to mind Van Gough's paintings of his room and a hint of his Japanese painting interest because of the curtains and color.

My only complaint is that we need to see more from you. : )

The sculpture study looks great, you've captures some really great color tones and variations there, incredibly convincing!

Man I haven't updated this sketchbook in too long! I have gotten a job doing backgrounds for a VN which I can't post and is taking up all my free time. But I have been doing plenty of traditional work as well so I'm gonna post some of that. 

I have been doing a lot of portrait sketches this year. Mostly 2-3 hour sessions, so the drawing is sometimes a little wack but I have some that capture the big impression of the colors and values decently imo.

Attached Files Image(s)

This is a painting of a sculpture, and a copy of Solomon J Solomon's portrait, both to practice my modeling.

Attached Files Image(s)