Diana's Sketchbook

A little bit of an update. Her pose looks very stiff to me so I plan on playing around with it. I really like the sketch so far for the to-be Garfield stuffed animal. The coloring is not done at all as I was going in and refining the line art that I did a bit. If anyone has any advice on how to make this piece look more "complete" or any improvements I can make, I'm all ears Cool

some loose imagination doodles for a warm up + an update on that digital painting. I'm planning to do more studies as I ended up being a bit busier than i thought this past month
Great work so far with the consistent anatomy practice, looks like you are really grinding it out! Just make sure to keep applying the studies to personal work that you enjoy, as I've found that focusing too much on a single fundamental can sometimes kill the joy (I only mention this because it has happened to be in the past, it may not necessarily apply to you of course). Good luck and keep at it! :)
Nice work on the last piece so far!

Ideally, you should have a finished lineart that should work well on its own before you start painting (Not all artists agree with this, but I have found this to be the best way to produce a solid art piece).

It looks like you got good momentum building up in this sketchbook with studies and personal work! Looking forward to seeing all your future works here! Keep posting! :)

Another unfinished thing. Was trying to get back into the groove of drawing faces. It just feels like this is a skill I've lost and now it takes me much longer than it used to... which is likely due to me not drawing as much as I want to

A little stylized portrait practice

Started doing the Proko anatomy/figure drawing courses. Here are a couple recent practice drawings
looks great! no feedback just some encouragement ^^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
JyonnyNovice - Thank you!

And here's an update on the painting. The coloring is so bad, if anyone has any resources/advice on color theory I'd be ever grateful 088

Just some light practice getting used to photoshop, no reference used and was just doodling from my imagination

I started watching Naruto again and figured it'd be fun drawing one of the characters. The anatomy is definitely off and I see where I can improve but I just wanted to finish something

Just a sketch of a mermaid/siren girl. Didn't like where it was going so I just left it as a sketch

Drawing of a girl from imagination

This pencil drawing was based off of a photo. I really wish I'd saved it to post along side this but I honestly couldn't find it :(

Started watching Air Gear again as well, drew one of my favorite characters!

Another character from the show!
For more feminine looking women hand i recommend making smaller and slender hand.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(03-22-2021, 06:20 AM)darktiste Wrote: For more feminine looking women hand i recommend making smaller and slender hand.
It's stylized, I like art of women with more masculine features. I think it makes them more interesting. Thanks for the critique, though! I'll keep it in mind in case I want them to look more feminine :)

A sketch, did this in photoshop trying to test out brushes but so far it's a pretty steep learning curve

Here, I wanted to play around with my own style of drawing faces. I kind of like the direction I was going, the only challenge is translating the rest of anatomy in a similar way.

Here I went for a more full body sketch. I was working on my anatomy and I like drawing bodies a bit more fuller/bulkier. I need to get back into figure drawing and gesture.

Drew a character that belongs to someone in a discord I was in

Colored sketch of a girl I thought of from memory

Was listening to the Deftones while doing a study of a man from the side

Drawing from memory trying to explore what kind of style I want to branch into

Any and all critiques welcome!
So one thing that stands out to me is that the majority of your faces have eyes that are very close together. They're in no way abnormal, but in reality not every person/character is going to have eyes that close set. Not sure if that's a stylistic choice tho ? I've also seen the opposite with some artists.

Your lineart is really clean and nice. Might be good to experiment with more line weight variation. Google "Aaron blaise how to pain light faces " and look at the image of faces that comes up if you want a better idea of what I mean. The less severe face plane changes have very thin lines compared to the outline

(05-07-2021, 10:04 PM)Skeffin Wrote: So one thing that stands out to me is that the majority of your faces have eyes that are very close together. They're in no way abnormal, but in reality not every person/character is going to have eyes that close set. Not sure if that's a stylistic choice tho ? I've also seen the opposite with some artists.

Your lineart is really clean and nice. Might be good to experiment with more line weight variation. Google "Aaron blaise how to pain light faces " and look at the image of faces that comes up if you want a better idea of what I mean. The less severe face plane changes have very thin lines compared to the outline

I try to keep my art pretty stylized, I'm not too interested in a completely realistic style. Now that you mention it I do see what you mean! My biggest struggle has to be getting the size of the head + face proportional to the rest of the body. I've been working on figure drawing and it seems I should be looking more at references when it comes to the face. Thanks for the critique I'll definitely check that out!

Some figure drawing, been studying from Hampton and I really like the fluidity of the figures in his books. I really do need to regularly practicing figures, I don't think I'm exaggerating the poses enough either.

Have not posted in a while. I also haven't drawn anything since around last time I posted. It's getting a bit difficult to draw since I spent too much time on "getting better" and not enough time having fun. Here's a sketch for a Draw This in Your Style challenge. I don't know if I love it but I'm trying to draw anything at this point.
Fundamental are a matter of realism stylization is a branch of realism.Not the other way around just so you know if learning become hard it should not be a secret as to why.You cannot stylize what you do not accurately understand how to break the rule.

If you have any seriousness about achieving your artistic goal i think it important to pay respect to the fundamental very early on.

What is a style doing for you exactly in term of reaching your artistic goal can i ask?

Certainly my point isn't to kill the fun just to remind you that fun and fundamental are fundamental to your artist growth you can do this: focus on pure realism you take something you want to draw but you attach to it a idea of what you are try to improve the important part is to draw many small drawing with problem solving in mind than if you really need to draw it your own way you can make a second version of the previous drawing in your style this way you get twice the mileage .So right now absolutely go draw anything it important to explore.

Also don't worry to much if you spend to much time getting better because once you return to the fun part you will just feel so much more ''powerful'' and equip.Just remember to apply what you learn in what ever leasson you take not just sit back and soak up and forget to draw because it overwhelm you.So if anything try to take a small step at a time sure if you just started it might seem like there is so much to learn but you can't let yourself focus in what is still to learn because you have to stay in the present even those you should make a exeption when you want to try to do anticipated learning i would call it.

It ok you are still learning to balance the fun-damental

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(09-10-2022, 11:59 AM)darktiste Wrote: Fundamental are a matter of realism stylization is a branch of realism.Not the other way around just so you know if learning become hard it should not be a secret as to why.You cannot stylize what you do not accurately understand how to break the rule.

If you have any seriousness about achieving your artistic goal i think it important to pay respect to the fundamental very early on.

What is a style doing for you exactly in term of reaching your artistic goal can i ask?

Certainly my point isn't to kill the fun just to remind you that fun and fundamental are fundamental to your artist growth you can do this: focus on pure realism you take something you want to draw but you attach to it a idea of what you are try to improve the important part is to draw many small drawing with problem solving in mind than if you really need to draw it your own way you can make a second version of the previous drawing in your style this way you get twice the mileage  .So right now absolutely go draw anything it important to explore.

Also don't worry to much if you spend to much time getting better because once you return to the fun part you will just feel so much more ''powerful'' and equip.Just remember to apply what you learn in what ever leasson you take not just sit back and soak up and forget to draw because it overwhelm you.So if anything try to take a small step at a time sure if you just started it might seem like there is so much to learn but you can't let yourself focus in what is still to learn because you have to stay in the present even those you should make a exeption when you want to try to do anticipated learning i would call it.

It ok you are still learning to balance the fun-damental

Yeah I'm just having a hard time finding a good balance. I would spend every drawing session doing studies and drawing from life but even when my art was improving, I wasn't having any fun.

I really like your idea of creating one drawing that is purely based on realism/study and then making a second piece in my own style! My goal in terms of my style is to be able to draw the human body accurately and consistently and have each character have unique features while still looking like my own unique style. I don't like everything looking hyper realistic because I want other people to recognize my art based on my own unique artistic "fingerprint" if that makes sense.

Thank you for your comment! It was really insightful, and I'll make sure to follow your advice. :)