Sheng's sketchbook

Hello! 
heres a collection of my recent works. 2020-21

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey welcome to the forums! I think your work is looking pretty nice right as of now^ and I really like you're pushing your colors. Also do you have any goals in mind?
(01-08-2021, 03:37 AM)Zaulta Wrote: Hey welcome to the forums! I think your work is looking pretty nice right as of now^ and I really like you're pushing your colors. Also do you have any goals in mind?
Thanks for the welcome!
and yes I do have a few goals in mind.
im thinking of getting in a decent art college but I dont know if these are quite enough :(
Thought I would be the only teenager here lol and currently I'm college bound : ^). I think it's good, you're using color With colleges I think they're mainly looking for potential on expression with technical skill. Just keep posting here and I'm sure the community will try to help you out. Also, did a small paint over for you, tried to keep the same idea of what you painted first.

Noticed that you really like Ross Tran and Kuvshinov in another post, so I think the paint over is similar to what you are trying to go for. I think with Ross and Kuvshinov's style is that they simplify forms and shapes in the 'right' places and that's why they're really appealing. What they've very likely have done is learned realism and then applied what they learned into their own more cartoonish way of painting.

I suggest trying to paint this for form  practice and trying to get that 3D feel that both of the artist you really like tend to have

I recommend looking at this site for some painting practice. I've heard some good things about it and was planning on starting soon.
https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library
I think your work is looking quite good so far, but it lacks fundamentals and knowledge of anatomy. Maybe it would be wise to go back to the basics for a bit and try to understand the human figure better.

Study from some loomis and hogarth books and try to understand more how the human body works, then apply the knowledge to your work!

(01-08-2021, 08:12 PM)Zaulta Wrote: Thought I would be the only teenager here lol and currently I'm college bound : ^). I think it's good, you're using color With colleges I think they're mainly looking for potential on expression with technical skill. Just keep posting here and I'm sure the community will try to help you out. Also, did a small paint over for you, tried to keep the same idea of what you painted first.

Noticed that you really like Ross Tran and Kuvshinov in another post, so I think the paint over is similar to what you are trying to go for. I think with Ross and Kuvshinov's style is that they simplify forms and shapes in the 'right' places and that's why they're really appealing. What they've very likely have done is learned realism and then applied what they learned into their own more cartoonish way of painting.

I suggest trying to paint this for form  practice and trying to get that 3D feel that both of the artist you really like tend to have
Yes, thanks for the advice! 
I found this very intuitive and cool that you explained all this.
If i got this right I should focus on realism, better shadows and give my art more of a 3d feel right?
And Im glad to know theres others my age here :D
(01-09-2021, 03:12 AM)Demon Lizardman Wrote: I recommend looking at this site for some painting practice. I've heard some good things about it and was planning on starting soon.
https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library
Wow I never knew this existed :0
Thanks alot!
(01-09-2021, 05:06 PM)Zorrentos Wrote: I think your work is looking quite good so far, but it lacks fundamentals and knowledge of anatomy. Maybe it would be wise to go back to the basics for a bit and try to understand the human figure better.

Study from some loomis and hogarth books and try to understand more how the human body works, then apply the knowledge to your work!
Thank you for the wise words!
Im working hard on anatomy right now but my subject studies are all over the place and i'm not so sure which 
to start with.
If it were up to you, what would be good to start with?
Gotta learn your priority first.How do you learn them?Well where are you going?What do you need to learn to get there?How do you get there?

Try to answers those question first if you don't know the answers well you gotta learn more about what you like to draw and to do that i advice to draw.

As someone suggested me to collect image a bunch of image of artist you like that a good starting point to understand what inspire you this will help you get creative afterward.I suggest saving those image inside a folder it inexpensive and quick and easy to acess and you can even zoom on them.

Good luck.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Nice start to your sketchbook StudioZ! I would definitely recommend looking at some beginner tutorials on drawing the human figure, such as basic proportions and so on (proko on youtube is one good place to start, I think he covers the loomis figure), but there are a lot of great tutorials out there. Having solid drawing skills and drawing figures from photographs a lot paying attention to the proportions and 3d structure will be very vital when you get into full on paintings.

Its great to see starting so early in your pursuits. Work hard but remember to have fun. Good luck on your journey! :)
Yeah anytime! With the realism and 3Dness bit, I would suggest that you try to learn it and also come back to the way you actually want to draw after some practice if you want to get steps closer making stuff similar to Ross Tran or Kuvshinov. Also sorry about all the comments I made, must've seemed unclear xd.
(01-12-2021, 07:11 AM)darktiste Wrote: Gotta learn your priority first.How do you learn them?Well where are you going?What do you need to learn to get there?How do you get there?

Try to answers those question first if you don't know the answers well you gotta learn more about what you like to draw and to do that i advice to draw.

As someone suggested me to collect image a bunch of image of artist you like that a good starting point to understand what inspire you this will help you get your creative afterward.I suggest saving those image inside a folder it inexpensive and quick and easy to acess and you can even zoom on them.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice!
I do find myself confused from time to time so this was very helpful  Thumbs_up
(01-12-2021, 10:00 AM)tchangchang Wrote: Nice start to your sketchbook StudioZ! I would definitely recommend looking at some beginner tutorials on drawing the human figure, such as basic proportions and so on (proko on youtube is one good place to start, I think he covers the loomis figure), but there are a lot of great tutorials out there. Having solid drawing skills and drawing figures from photographs a lot paying attention to the proportions and 3d structure will be very vital when you get into full on paintings.

Its great to see starting so early in your pursuits. Work hard but remember to have fun. Good luck on your journey! :)
Thanks! I will take that into account
And I do watch Proko, hes a really cool ytber :D
(01-12-2021, 05:30 PM)Zaulta Wrote: Yeah anytime! With the realism and 3Dness bit, I would suggest that you try to learn it and also come back to the way you actually want to draw after some practice if you want to get steps closer making stuff similar to Ross Tran or Kuvshinov. Also sorry about all the comments I made, must've seemed unclear xd.
No its very well explained
Im following on some of your advice right now and im doing the Figuary challenge Ill leave the link here if youre interested!

Vidéos dans « FIGUARY » sur Vimeo 

Here are some sketches ive made,
trying to get better with the advice the folks here gave me.

Theres some nude figure drawings so beware Bomb
The general advise is to learn to be confident with your line making as begginer we tend to draw alot of trial and error line.If you want to be confident with your line there simply execise for that.I would say try to stay away from a pencil for a while and work with a pen this will allow you overtime to get more confidence in your line making.It not as easy as it seem to understand how to properly use your full arm to draw different type of mark.

So try to do atleast learn to warm up before going to draw this will help you get the tension out of your body and help you become more precise after a while.

Good luck

Note read the second image before the first one.They are in the wrong order.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Hell yeah nice practice, try to keep doing a lot of them so you get a better idea on how the body is structured and moves Along with the advice that daktiste posted, I would suggest that you slow down and try to get the figure you are trying to draw accurately just for now, so you can try to take in what the proportions and form are really like. Also try to identify the head, rib cage, and pelvis. It's what I always do when I'm trying to make a figure. :)
(01-20-2021, 10:42 AM)darktiste Wrote: The general advise is to learn to be confident with your line making as begginer we tend to draw alot of trial and error line.If you want to be confident with your line there simply execise for that.I would say try to stay away from a pencil for a while and work with a pen this will allow you overtime to get more confidence in your line making.It not as easy as it seem to understand how to properly use your full arm to draw different type of mark.

So try to do atleast learn to warm up before going to draw this will help you get the tension out of your body and help you become more precise after a while.

Good luck

Note read the second image before the first one.They are in the wrong order.

Thanks for the advice! 
although it seems like I cannot find this dan chamberlain person on the internet
could you give me a link to his page?
I don't recommend him necessarly it just this kind of knowledge is rare to find in this kind of format.Is website is not even functional so that the best compilation of what i found.There better resource if you know where to find it.If you want resource just take a look at the resource section in the forum there plenty of free resource out there to start from http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3.html .

My Sketchbook