Crimson CHOW #26 - Whimsical Forest Dweller

This week's theme and brief by previous winner, Pubic Enemy

Crimson Character of the Week #26
>>Whimsical Forest Dweller<<

"You guys know what I'm talking about. Rusalkas, dryads, fairies, sprites, nymphs, satyrs (permanent erection optional), or any other sort of forest dweller you can think of. It just has to be bipedal. You can go dark with it or channel your inner hippie."

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Guidelines:
  • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work. (See next rule for exception)
  • 3D is permitted and renders MAY be used as whole or in part of a painting, as long as YOU created the work. Pre-made and/or purchased, online, assets are forbidden.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is Monday, April 19th @ UTC: 23:59

-+|| WIP THREAD ||+-
Hippie it is then

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
I dig it, man.
Thanks Mayn

Probably going to take a break from this one until last minute. 

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

You're welcome mayn. Nice feet.

I'm doing a typical cutesy high-saturation fairy, mainly because I've never drawn one before.

I know this isn't exactly groundbreaking design. Half man-half goat. I just wanted to draw a faun because it seemed fun.

Attached Files Image(s)

Drawing and having fun with it is the most important part. I'm not the groundbreaking design type myself, LOL. I know the top text (which I copy-pasted) says "design something interesting and unique" but that's more of a suggestion than anything. "Interesting" can be accomplished in other ways.

Faun is looking good and very 19th-century. The posture looks very natural, which is tough to pull off with goat legs.
heh thanks. Im trying to bust out more of the old timey painting skills. Based the background on a sketch i did from life. Definitely need to figure out more of how the legs work, but good to hear you think the posture is okay.

RottenPocket: Love it! Your drawings always look so delicate.
Pubic Enemy: Nice, she really is kind of cute, but her teeth look a bit scary.
JosephCow: Cool Faun!

The arm kind of looks a little broken yet, but then again he wears a mushroom on his head, so who knows about his physicals:
[Image: hS8kV9Bm.jpg]
[Image: CH3auECl.jpg]

That's a precious lil' mushroom person. I like the blurred grasses in the background; they really feel tree-sized.
Update on my picture. The first sketch was pretty rough, I have things a little more worked out now except the background.

Attached Files Image(s)

everyones stuff is looking great

although I do agree with Jana about the fairys teeth being a bit scary, not sure if that was the intention ? She looks like she's luring that bird in with her fairy flute so she can swallow it whole. Great shadow/light seperation on the face tho.

had a blast banging out some concepts, based on twee english countryside things.  I think I'm going to go with anything on the top row, probably the seed/leaf fairies. I like the mushroom and acorn dude but they're venturing more into creature rather than character design territory

Attached Files Image(s)

I honestly thought her teeth looked normal, though a bit untouched by modern dentistry. I think I'll keep them that way, though. It adds some ambiguity, LOL.

Skeffin, those concepts are all charming. Downright bursting at the seams with whimsy. There's always gonna be some overlap between characters and creatures, so I wouldn't sweat it as long as the character is distinctively humanoid, which those all are.
(04-12-2021, 08:06 AM)Skeffin Wrote: everyones stuff is looking great

although I do agree with Jana about the fairys teeth being a bit scary, not sure if that was the intention ? She looks like she's luring that bird in with her fairy flute so she can swallow it whole. Great shadow/light seperation on the face tho.

had a blast banging out some concepts, based on twee english countryside things.  I think I'm going to go with anything on the top row, probably the seed/leaf fairies. I like the mushroom and acorn dude but they're venturing more into creature rather than character design territory

I think these are excellent. Ivy looks very dramatic but Chestnut is my favourite. Design wise though, Mushroom does look great and would be fun to develop.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

(04-12-2021, 11:25 AM)Pubic Enemy Wrote: I honestly thought her teeth looked normal, though a bit untouched by modern dentistry. I think I'll keep them that way, though. It adds some ambiguity, LOL.

Skeffin, those concepts are all charming. Downright bursting at the seams with whimsy. There's always gonna be some overlap between characters and creatures, so I wouldn't sweat it as long as the character is distinctively humanoid, which those all are.
Yeah I liked the ambiguity, given all the tales about fae folk who'll steal ya kid or curse you etc 
I think its a combination of the teeth with a few other things that give off that vibe- she's smirking a little as the left side (ours) of her mouth looks higher than the right, her eyebrows and eyes are slanted downwards and haven't been raised upwards, the bottom eyelids aren't crinkling up as they do when you give a genuine smile, stuff like that.

Also thanks, glad you and rotten both like the concepts. I ended up going with the mushroom boy. but acorn squire will definitely get his time to shine later on.

Attached Files Image(s)

part of me still wants to go back and do a leaf fairy :/

Attached Files Image(s)