Poll: Who drew the best mythological beast?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Skeffin
28.57%
2 28.57%
RottenPocket
71.43%
5 71.43%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Crimson COW Finals (Week of April 18th)
Creature of the Week
»Mythological Beasts«

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is May 2nd @ UTC: 23:59

-+|| FINALS THREAD ||+-
here be birb

also how dyall colour in your line arts quickly ? paint bucket leaves small white line between edge and fill. wand => expand by 1px sorts that out but when there's loads of closed off spaces due to the feathers etc that would be a drag to do everytime.

Plus the issue of line art gaps , I normally connect them with the fill colour as I lazy and cba to switch layers, but I guess most people go back to the lineart layer and fix it there ?

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice birb, very flowing. I think the white lines clash with the ink wash style a bit, but that's just my feel.

IIRC, the paint bucket issue can be minimized by making a selection outside of the lineart and then inverting it, and then using the paint bucket on that selection, so any white border will be more likely to land inside the lines. Plus, you wanna set the "Tolerance" (or whatever it's called) as high as possible. As far as I can tell, most people go back to the line-art layer to fill any gaps, but whatever works, works.

For something with lots of closed spaces like that drawing though, using selections and the paint bucket is probably impractical. It's probably best to manually fill in the outer edges of every part with the fill color you want, and then use the paint bucket to fill in the inner part (as demonstrated here by the Yu-Gi-Oh guy on the BLUE EYES WHITE DRAGON, who also erases the edges manually like a madman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8xsdL-qfBQ).
Refine selection and using the smooth and shift edge settings is what I use a lot for product photography so no white gaps or pixelated edges. On the rare occasion I do use colour in my drawing I won't use the lasso tool, I'll block in the area then erase the negative spaces. Starting with the whole shape, then with each other colour area, select other colour blocks and just delete any overlaps. No gaps no odd edges and if I change the line transparency there's no 'halo' of colour areas not meeting. 

---

The Kludde, to my understanding is a flemish hellhound, embodiment of satan, wreathed in blue flames, which I should have left after the wings because I tapped out...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
I like the blue flames and embers though. Up the saturation a bit and it could be a melodic death metal cover.
cheers for the lineart colouring tips you guys

Also I want to pet doggo satan so bad

I've always enjoyed more the OG east-asian depiction of the phoenix because of its colour. I like the way you selected the colour on the tail feathers, how every second feather alternates a colour paring. I do see that you were using the shape style of Chinese ink painting but just wish there was a bit of texture and washes of colour rather than solid blocks in order to complete the theme.

Satan doggo is unimpressed at my half-arsed attempt. I admit although I squeezed it in last minute I did drag my feet . Some valid reasons (thwacked tailbone, long sitting time, not good) but also not leaving my safe zone of monochromatic meh/not stretching values between blackest black and whitest white, actually desaturating the flames after I couldn't develop the wolf enough to compliment it. Will save for working on again another day.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

I like the dog although I’d remove the flame effect, I find it distracting. I appreciate the line work and the wings especially.
I had a hard time deciding, I love the phoenix becuase the art style reminds me so much of the game Okami, wich is the best game you can play on a Wii (really have to replay that) :)
But I also really admire RottenPockets linework skills. I agree with Zizka that the blue flames seem a bit to much, at least over the head.

Aww I thought I did the best on the flames licking his head and the top part was what went to shit... next time maybe I will make a metal cover for giggles.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree