Daft Sketches
Hey guys! 

Zorrentos: Thank you! Yeah I'm trying to just draw and have fun when I'm not aiming at finished illustrations. So to not lose steam. Haven't been drawing actively in many years, so just trying to keep at it. 

cgmythology: Thanks! :) 

Rottenpocket: Hey! Thanks for the feedback much appreciated! I went out and bought an eraser pen actually and I have to say it makes a biiiig difference. Can't believe I never used one before. 
I like ballpoint too, but mostly as practice because you can't erase so you have to be careful with your lines and so on. I do prefer pencil sketches over ballpoint though, just think it looks prettier. :) 

Ben Nissen: Hey! Thanks for your comment and feedback! Much appreciated. I think Bridgeman's cool, great method, I just don't like his style much, but I need to learn to structure like that. 
Yeah shadows are tricky, I'm so lazy I always second guess them by not deciding light source heh

Here are some sketches from last couple of months. I haven't had too much time to draw because of life but I've at least kept it going. 
More to come hopefully. Starting to miss digital painting a little bit, might give it a stab soon. 
Sry about the phone pics, I don't have a scanner any more. :/

[Image: februaridump20.jpg]

Hi guys, 

Decided to experiment with ink a little more anyway. :) 
I wish I had the same intuitive sense for drawing people and things in general as I seem to have with tentacles. hah
[Image: februaryink.jpg]

There no such thing as intuition and if it exist it not as been significantly demonstrated yet.

So listen to this what is necessary to draw anything is to understand how to simplify anything to it most basic geometric equivalent.This mean you need but a few skill such as drawing straight line ,curve and ellipse and an understanding of perspective and being able to choose the closest geometric form to be use to start extrapolating from.The artist as already been stabbing at the problem of simplification for a long time now .Take a look at this sketchbook for http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8912.html that the kind of dedication to simplification that will make this thing a walk in the park for you.You can find different method of simplification if you know what to look for and take the time to look for it.It not going to fall from the sky let me tell you that.

You already show that you understand this so just don't get frustrated those are not easy subject matter the human body morph as it change pose the muscle specially.You want to understand what part will stretch and what part will bludge.The rest is mileage and logic.

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.
May I proffer a solution - people with tentacles.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
Hi guys! 

Been away for a while it seems. Haven't stopped drawing though. I've kept on studying and learning a little bit, thought I'd try to get back to this thread. 

Oh and I changed my name in case of confusion. Anyways.. 

Darktiste: Thanks for your reply and my somewhat delayed response. ;) I agree with your thoughts. 

Rottenpocket: Fun combo! : )

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice shading on those pencils!

Really loving your pencil rendering, still need to figure out the right technique for that!
Glad to see you posting again! Awesome updates here, really dig your pencil work especially, very professional looking and confident strokes. Good stuff!

Hey what's up guys!

Not a huge update here, couple of sketches. Trying to use mostly a three value set up with every sketch. Start off with gesture and play around with ideas, then direct the light with the shadows. Only one value of midtones separating the lightest light from the darkest dark basically. It's a nice way to start out. 

Sorry about the poor quality, I haven't quite seemed to figure out CDs uploading system yet.

One_two: Thank you!

Dominicque: Thanks! I'm glad you dig it! The more I study and understand how light works, the more refined my rendering seems to become. I think a lot of that sweet soft pencil wibe lay in the midtones heh

cgmythology: Thanks man, that's very kind of you to say! 

Happy drawing!

edit: okay apparantly there seems to be something wrong with the last upload, working on it

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice updates! Some of the anatomy could be improved, but the values which is the focus of your latest sketches are on point, so very well done in that regard! Keep it up!

Hey there, i like your tentacle ink sketches. Are you going for a particular aesthetic/approach with your pencil work? I see you like to use linear hatching quite a bit, but in many of these, the hatching while directional, is quite scribbly. Scribbles can work, but I don't think scribbles help to define planes when using linear hatching. Perhaps you could try and slow down a little bit when filling in a value with linear strokes? Obviously sketches don't have to be perfect, but I do think being more intentional with the direction, unity and quality of your hatched lines will have a better unifying effect.
There are many examples of beautiful hatching, but I thought you might get something out of Mussienko's stuff. Very planar, bold and directional.
An oldie but goodie is Anders Zorn's etchings. He often breaks the rules of hatching across contours of the form, and follows the forms, but the intentionality behind it is amazing. He uses much more dynamic lines, but amazing value and edge control through them.

Hiqh quality scans at Art Institute of Chicago .

Hey guys! 

Noone: Amazing, thank you. I've never given my rendering any serious thought in that regard unfortunately, just thinking it'll settle sort of naturally. But I'm realizing how important planes are as a concept and maybe I should be more intentional and directional, good point. I like linear hatching but I absolutely do have a soft spot for the scribbly style. I think my ideal probably lies somewhere in the style of how Justin Sweet does it. I love Zorn btw, totally get your point, will study.

cgmythology: Hey, thank you! Yeah you're totally right about that. I'm getting into it right away, think I'll start with the bones and work my way out this time, never did that. 

So here are a few cranial studies (and a lose sketch), I drew them from this webpage - https://www.innerbody.com/htm/body.html - where you can rotate the body in 3D-space, really useful. 
Goal is to work on my anatomy while doing other projects aswell. 

Happy drawing!

Attached Files Image(s)