Kilillan's Sketchbook
Happy New Year everybody!

So, recently I've been getting into painting, but it turned out to be way, way harder than I thought.
I've studied a bunch of videos/books, but I'm still on the struggle-bus. 
So far I've gone through  Crtl + paint's videos + paid tutorials, Sinix's painting videos, books (speed painting by carol marine etc) and about 2 dozen "introduction to painting" videos on youtube

My still life in particular seem to suck, and I'm not sure how to improve. So any feedback would be useful.

Sinix suggest in one of his videos to use the basic brush/limited values/no mixing/smudging, so I've been practicing that

I think that looks pretty good! probably just need some more practice. I don't know the reference you're looking at, but from what I can see there's some issues with the symmetry in places. And I would guess that the highlight would stand out brighter against the surrounding metal/background. That would improve the read of shinyness a bit. So possibly there's more dark in the metal in general.

I second Joseph this looks good. The only feedback I can provide is how I personally approach these sorts of items digitally. I would darken my color range slightly and I would mix up my soft and hard edges. When i need to paint something shiny I admit to taking some shortcuts as you can give the illusion of something shiny without actually spending a ton of time rendering it, but these studies definitely help you identify where those shortcuts are and then you can use them to speed up your process and be more confident.

I just grabbed a quick reference off google and just added some darker areas to your image (hope that’s cool) and also blended a few of your mid tone edges to more of a gradient just to highlight my feedback. Now like I said there is many ways to do this and I think these sort of things are what help people develop a style. So keep practicing and unless you are going for hyper realistic, just have fun with reflections, light, shadow, and texture until you get something you are happy with. 

Just want to say one thing if you use a mid tone to save time as background in your copy and you use a image with a white background don't be surprise if the value don't match up.There a concept called color and value relativity it pretty obcure for most artist as there is very little thought in term of color in introductionary course in general.

If you got a program such as photoshop and know how to read the number that explain the color you can use the color pick and see that the value that line up horizontally in the picture provide are the same but because they are adjacent to an other value that skew your eye perception.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
JosephCow: Thanks for the advice. Yeah there is definitely some issues in the syummetry/drawing, and thanks I will try to push the values more.

CBinnsIllustration:  Wow thanks so much! This is really good advice, and thanks for the paintover! I've been trying to learn painting in a vacuum with no feedback and it's been very frustrating, I really appreciate this. This teapot took me about 90 minutes;  way longer than it probably should have. I'm just going to try to practice pushing my values, bigshapes and edge control.

darktiste: Thanks for the advice. Identifying values (and colors) have been tough for me; It's never been something I really paid attention to up until now
I've been doing a bunch of speedpaints every night after work. 
I'm still definitely struggling when it comes to painting, so I welcome any feedback.

I spent 1 hour on this one, I ran out of time so I didn't paint the teeth.
I regret smudging the edges on this one, I feel like it was better before I did that.

Here is ref + painting

(09-18-2022, 12:35 AM)Kilillan Wrote: recently I've been experimenting with exaggerating the forms instead of drawing what I see
Is the exaggeration for dynamism, expressivity, something else? I don't really feel the exaggeration in these. I also like the lively sketches that you posted at the beginning of your book. Do you still do some but don't post them anymore?
Painting is hard indeed, take it bit by bit, there is a lot to learn and it's very gratifying.

Leo Ki: I'm not sure, I guess I'm just struggling to simplify forms at this stage. I'm still finding painting to be very hard and different than drawing.
Yes I still am drawing, I still draw more than I paint nowadays, I just don't post 99% of them since I don't feel like they're worth posting

Recently I've been swamped with work and my private life. All the painting/drawing I've been doing is during Zoom meetings at work.
These are some quick small (less than 2 inch on my tablet) paintings that took 30-45 minutes. I didn't really have a goal for these, I just found the process to be somewhat soothing

Also a shitty drawing of a room. I tried to go for a fisheye lens but the perspective just looks off

(02-04-2023, 01:44 PM)Kilillan Wrote: Leo Ki: I'm not sure, I guess I'm just struggling to simplify forms at this stage. I'm still finding painting to be very hard and different than drawing.
Yes I still am drawing, I still draw more than I paint nowadays, I just don't post 99% of them since I don't feel like they're worth posting

Recently I've been swamped with work and my private life. All the painting/drawing I've been doing is during Zoom meetings at work.
These are some quick small (less than 2 inch on my tablet) paintings that took 30-45 minutes. I didn't really have a goal for these, I just found the process to be somewhat soothing

Also a shitty drawing of a room. I tried to go for a fisheye lens but the perspective just looks off

Could you elaborate on why 99% of what you do isn't worth posting.What is worth posting exactly?Everything is worth posting because everything is a learning opportunity that just my personal 2 cent. I think it the amount of labor that make you detach from the work to the point of saying they don't deserve a second look.

So i would say from the look of it the 99% is due to the it being mindless soothing drawing which i totally agree doesn't represent what you must be capable of and is more personal.

But if it the only thing you manage to squeeze in that case maybe there a room to say it still worth posting.But intention is big if it just to relax than why would you worry about rule... this is art no need to improve if you can break the rule .But if you find yourself drawing thing that require thought and plotting and planning than being half invest won't do.It would probably be better to have smaller session where there intent rather than being detach from the craft all the time just because you don't want to commit to anything due to work cutting in.It very cruel to your artistic side don't you think?You seem to like drawing enough to post in a sketchbook that already a time commitment i think you just leak the time to articulate what your intent are with art for it to matter enought to be shown.So i would say maybe you should try to be more loose in your style that could be the charm of it just very bold stroke and stylize stroke something that look rather flat perhaps to keep it short also.You gotta adapt with what little time you got.You could even specialize in small painting why not... the intent is to do the most with what ever limited resource you might be dealing with.

My Sketchbook
Quote:Could you elaborate on why 99% of what you do isn't worth posting.What is worth posting exactly?Everything is worth posting because everything is a learning opportunity that just my personal 2 cent. I think it the amount of labor that make you detach from the work to the point of saying they don't deserve a second look.

So i would say from the look of it the 99% is due to the it being mindless soothing drawing which i totally agree doesn't represent what you must be capable of and is more personal.

But if it the only thing you manage to squeeze in that case maybe there a room to say it still worth posting.But intention is big if it just to relax than why would you worry about rule... this is art no need to improve if you can break the rule .But if you find yourself drawing thing that require thought and plotting and planning than being half invest won't do.It would probably be better to have smaller session where there intent rather than being detach from the craft all the time just because you don't want to commit to anything due to work cutting in.It very cruel to your artistic side don't you think?You seem to like drawing enough to post in a sketchbook that already a time commitment i think you just leak the time to articulate what your intent are with art for it to matter enought to be shown.So i would say maybe you should try to be more loose in your style that could be the charm of it just very bold stroke and stylize stroke something that look rather flat perhaps to keep it short also.You gotta adapt with what little time you got.You could even specialize in small painting why not... the intent is to do the most with what ever limited resource you might be dealing with.

Well I don't think it's worth posting since they're not very interesting... who wants to see studies of skulls?
If you're curious here's a screenshot of the folder, I have a couple folders with a couple hundred files each.
But like I said... not very interesting 

OK well I might as well post some sketches as well
Most of these I do during Zoom meetings

[attachment=127851]
[attachment=127853]

The problem is always curating your own content.I am all for having a space for art dump.The problem is perceving there nothing to learn from ''trash'' excuse the world.The problem is you can go so far by yourself until you reach your own plateau you gotta have some chaos from time to time to push you in direction that are not of your own will.It not to say you become the slave of whatever come your way.Not everyone looking for a challenge.I am kinda at the reverse opposite of you i don't accept when something is good.It not to say i think it what i do is crap and it shouldn't be shown but compliment are such a weird thing to me anways enough talking about me.The thing with studies is that they are pretty useless to post without the refrence image but once they are join with a reference than it become much more useful for yourself because you get a second look in many fundamental that are leaking maybe it be value perspective anatomy etc... so don't feel like studies don't have a space they absolutely do you can do just apple for example not to say it necessary to stick to a subject... and you would still learn if you set your intention at the begin of each session.If you don't have alot of time to study that ok there always way small period where you can learn to observe what around you.Yeah observing that something very much overlook by most.Looking it hard right looking is easy... focusing that the other step but than it not enough to focus you want to observe something about the object whatever it might be.There a ton of thing to learn if you understand what each object as to teach the problem is we see object but we don't necessarly been thought how to observe and question those thing to us they are object.I don't know if you follow me.What i mean is that drawing is more than just drawing it everything else you do outside of drawing it a way of life if you take the time to observe and it teach you how to visualize and create yourself mental library and knowing the fundamental principle of art you can extract information from dead object as they interact with light.

Ask yourself what can i learn from observing a box.You kinda have to be ok with asking stupid question like what is the color of the box.You might ask yourself what the point of asking question that seem silly well it to compare and comparing is observing pretty much.

I hope you understand if you don't have the time to draw you got a lot more time to observe and to soak in information and that can become a strenght if your drawing aren't catching up to your observatial skill atleast you are far a head in your observational skill so you will have a much easier time picking up on thing you draw wrong which will allow you to focus on the issue you already identify because you have observe either your own work and have seen the hole in it or you observed life and have memorize information that you can pull out and reference from.One thing we some often do is discard the work to the trash pill but we don't try to learn to identify any weakness we just wait for it to hit us instead of learning how to identify what cause something to feel off.When we can't seem to understand why something feel off is because were eye as falling behind in term of understanding what are the pillar at play that support we artwork.At first we do anything because we are like new born we don't have direction or awareness of concept we need to explore but as we go throught were journey we have to sometime look back at what we use those stepping stone to unlock new door of understanding and perception.

Sorry if the term fundamental might seem obsure to me it seem pointless and long to enumerate since i don't know how much you know about those fundamental i would not want this to be longer than necessary.

Remember that we are artist here we are not the average guy we appreciate effort aswell as exchanging about art we don't necessarly care only about if it pretty or trendy.It ok i understand that oversharing isn't necessary everyone cup of tea.What can i say i am guilt and of curious nature.As the saying goes one men trash is an other men treasure you don't know what interaction it will bring but i hope it will be positive and even negative because both are necessary to grow.

My Sketchbook
Nice updates here, really enjoying your line work. I think the recent room illustration works well enough, as dynamic as can be for a subject matter that isn't the most exciting, so great job with that one. Keep it up!

I, for one, like the screenshots of your irasuto folders as well as your recent sketches. Maybe you could consider posting smaller collages of them if you don't consider them worthy of a full size?

Your work meetings must be unimaginably boring if you find the time to sketch during that time :)

The room's perspective looks right for the most part, although not fisheye.

Your recent sketches look good, espeically the shitty room :P You're too hard on yourself. I'd say the fisheye distortion could definitely be more pronounced, though.

darktiste: Yeah I understand what you're saying. I kind of had a mindset of "posting pictures to get critiques" as opposed to "posting my sketches". But since this is my "sketchbook", I think I really should be posting my sketches

cgmythology: Thanks!

Leo Ki: Yeah thanks, I'll try to post more sketches that I've drawn, it seems that people are interested in them, even if they look like garbage

JosephCow: Yeah thanks...  I live with my girlfriend who is a professional designer and a very accomplished painter/drawer... way better than me. She rarely gives me any praise for anything I do, and it kind of hurts my art self-esteem. On the other hand, living with someone like that gives me the motivation to create art that will someday impress her. 

Let me post some sketches for the background art class I'm taking. I took a hiatus due to my incredibly busy work schedule but I plan on going back and finishing it. I will post when I'm done

(02-06-2023, 04:17 PM)Kilillan Wrote: She rarely gives me any praise for anything I do

Art is an outward adventure while family is an inward adventure, or something like that; also, no one is a prophet in their own country :)

Keep going, you're making your own path. Have you noticed that the main difference between painting and drawing is that painting is about surfaces whereas drawing is about whatever is (or we think is) between the surfaces?

Hey there, I had a look through your entire sketchbook here. I feel like I see some of myself in you and I think you're too hard on yourself and are better than you give yourself credit for. It seems like you've eased up on yourself over time which is good! Really like a lot of stuff here, particularly the room drawings and environment thumbnails/drawings!

Azeol: 
Thanks!

Sorry everybody, I've been so busy with work I've barely had time to do anything. I've still been drawing though.

Recently I've been drawing to really understand Scott Robertsons "how to draw", I've been going through that book page by page. Also been going through some youtube tutorials about drawing vehicles. It's a bit of a struggle, but I think I'm finally starting to understand it.
My cars/vehicles suck, but they are extremely difficult to draw.

Also recently I've been going to a weekly live illustration meet-up in Tokyo. It's the first time meeting other artists in person, it's been a great experience so far.

And these tree trunks are basically what most of my drawings look like when I don't know what I want to draw or if I'm tired. I just draw random organic things, but I find it soothing

I love your random organic things! They have the feel of MTG art. And the vehicles are neat too, your line weight is pleasant, specially in the later vehicles.

It's great you found a good drawing group. I wish there was something like that around here, last time I checked a group most participants seemed more interested in roleplaying the "bohemian artist stereotype" and drink and be too full of themselves than do art. Lol