JonHop's Sketchbook
zombie sketch from imagination

Attached Files Image(s)

Today and yesterday's figure sketching.

Attached Files Image(s)

WIP wanted to create something disney-esque have to try finish it for the 2D drawing jam over at CGhub.

perspective.

Attached Files Image(s)

original super quick sketch for the werewolf

the line work and the fill

Attached Files Image(s)

Did a study of the view from my window.

Attached Files Image(s)

Figure sketching

Attached Files Image(s)

Had to take a break for a few days as my elbow has been hurting.

Some imagination sketches done today to get back into the swing.

Attached Files Image(s)

been working on the drawing jam over at cghub

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Jon, nice studies and sketches!

On this last piece, the one for CGhub jam - try to use a warmer color for the shadow. It's looking rather muddy the way it is now. Push it a bit more to orange and I think it will help it shine a bit more :) Don't be afraid to use hard edges brushes to make those contours pop!

(08-13-2012, 02:40 AM)Ursula Dorada Wrote: Hey Jon, nice studies and sketches!

On this last piece, the one for CGhub jam - try to use a warmer color for the shadow. It's looking rather muddy the way it is now. Push it a bit more to orange and I think it will help it shine a bit more :) Don't be afraid to use hard edges brushes to make those contours pop!

Thanks Ursala, about to carry on the work with it, so I'll implement your suggestion now :). I appreciate you taking the time to comment and crit :D.

My original composition for the king of beasts jam (which I might re-do and finish as an illustration at some point)

and where Im at so far with the one I went with.

My drawing jam entry...

Attached Files Image(s)

Quick watercolour value only study I did while in england a little while ago.

Will start updating sketchbook more again now as been resting my elbow for a sustained period.

Start on the Enviro challenge going on here tomorrow :).

Attached Files Image(s)

Cool man, can't wait to see you back in full action. Looks like you're off to a good start already. the drawing jam entry looks nice so far, just needs some spicing up, like some plants, bushes, leaves flyin in the wind or something to breathe some life into it. Anyway I know you're tryin your best and I know you'll be improvin in no time.
(08-27-2012, 11:04 AM)Dennis Kutsenko Wrote: Cool man, can't wait to see you back in full action. Looks like you're off to a good start already. the drawing jam entry looks nice so far, just needs some spicing up, like some plants, bushes, leaves flyin in the wind or something to breathe some life into it. Anyway I know you're tryin your best and I know you'll be improvin in no time.

Thanks Dennis :), yeah I agree about the drawing jam piece, just seems empty and a bit dull as is, but the deadline already passed on it and I entered it like that. I prob won't go back to it, maybe at some point I will but it's on to the next one for now.

Enviro challenge (for the daggers community challenge) progress so far...

Attached Files Image(s)

Progress so far with the challenge

Attached Files Image(s)

Doodling in PS

quick paint of figure drawing study

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey man, your traditional is looking really good. Newest enviro challenge post looks good to, but with some your other work I'm seeing sort of faded edges.

I thought I'd try working on your teddy bear riding the bug (it was a doodle, but I noticed some of the issues in some of your other stuff.), basically all I did was harden the edges, using brush strokes from the background colors. Also there wasn't really a set lighting direction I could see, aside from the warmer and cool colors. So I used the top right side as where the lighting was coming from, and added shadows and highlights corresponding to the light source. Finally I just blended the colors a bit.

I think you just need to make harder edges, and blend more. I usually start painting using a brush with high opacity, and then lower it for blending. (I made the bears leg too soft/blurred though.)

Mind you I'm in a heavy learning stage as you can see in my sketchbook, and I need to study lighting still, So I may be wrong on things. But I definitely think Blending and harder edges will help a lot.

I probably shouldn't be doing a paintover lol, But I Hope I helped in some way :) (Although I don't think you can even really call it a paintover - basically just rendering out what you did a bit more and cleaning up.)

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

Hey Jonesda, thanks for the paint over man, I appreciate that, I think you did a great job explaining yourself with it. I def see what you're saying and I agree with you 100 percent on the fact I need to take waaaay more care with my edges etc. Doing paint overs of other peoples work is a great way for us to learn and better see mistakes in our own work also, so don't worry about doing them usually in the process it helps the artist you're doing it for and helps you also to grow and learn, so like I said I appreciate that you took the time and effort to do it, thank you =D.

(Also with the enviro challenge I hadn't flipped the image the whole time and when I did I saw loads of perspective issues to re-do arghhhh lol)