MiniPantsu's Concept Art Journey
Continuing the environmental piece

Attached Files Image(s)

More Tamer brainstorming thumbnails

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's the direction I decided on.. Started with the basic thumb and a basic component composition

Attached Files Image(s)

Tamer and Gula thinking sketches

Attached Files Image(s)

Keep up this excellent work man. Really encouraging to see someone so young keep motivated like this. I have just turned 19 a week ago now and after being very motivated 2 and a bit years ago but letting it slide I'll tell you this: Check yourself every now and then whether you are letting other things going on in life encroach in on your art and long term aspirations. Happiness is important but a slide here for something/something else can lead to a chain reaction away from what you really want. As long as you do partly for the sake of enjoying the process of creating you should be good though
Or disregard me rambling, honestly, it's only anecdotal. You've got good potential and I share your confusion on pursuing higher education.
The cost and services surrounding education in your country. In my country a lot of people work fairly little in uni due to govt funding and their weekly workload is only 40hours max per week so they have a lot of free time. Essentially a scholarship to live for 3 years.

Keep up the hard work.
(04-22-2016, 03:08 PM)Jacarran Wrote: Keep up this excellent work man. Really encouraging to see someone so young keep motivated like this. I have just turned 19 a week ago now and after being very motivated 2 and a bit years ago but letting it slide I'll tell you this:  Check yourself every now and then whether you are letting other things going on in life encroach in on your art and long term aspirations.  Happiness is important but a slide here for something/something else can lead to a chain reaction away from what you really want. As long as you do partly for the sake of enjoying the process of creating you should be good though
Or disregard me rambling, honestly, it's only anecdotal. You've got good potential and I share your  confusion on  pursuing higher education.
The cost and services surrounding education in your country. In my country  a lot of people work fairly little in uni due to govt funding and their weekly workload is only 40hours max per week so they have a lot of free time. Essentially a scholarship to live for  3 years.

Keep up the hard work.

Thank you so much for the encouraging words! 

Thankfully my curse and a blessing is that I'm someone who is very comfortable with being on my own (have no problem with socializing tho.. it's just painfully boring to me) ..and therefore it allows me to keep my head clear enough for my long and short-term goals and aspirations. I also carry a small notepad in my pocket everywhere I go so that my spontaneous ideas don't get lost. (and yes.. I recommend wearing clothing with large pockets for that exact reason) 

Anyways what I mean to say is that I pretty much check myself every day and don't let myself get off track (always thinking of the next step) ..so I won't let that happen anytime soon.

Regarding education.. it's still quite a blurred line for me.. but we will see if something works out in the future. If not then no worries. I'll still make it work somehow!

And as a last note I'll say this:
Happiness is not what you get in life, but what you become! So stop worrying about the insignificant things in your life so much.. and never let your passion run away from you.

..so grab your pen and get to work right now! I will too :)
Clarifying the Tamer design in my head.. also some future ideas

Attached Files Image(s)

Pushing the Tamer further again.. trying out some different clothing comps etc.

Attached Files Image(s)

Cleaned it up and made certain parts more specific.. next time I'll focus on the beast and probably color as well

Attached Files Image(s)

Redid the Tamer design again (lol)
Also added a layer mask! ..so I will finally delve into color next time.

Plus I redrew the environmental composition to have more perspective and storytelling in it.

Attached Files Image(s)

More progress on Tamer and her hound..
I will finish them tomorrow. :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Finished!

The environmental concept will be my next focus.. I will apply perspective to it and move the storytelling aspect further.

Attached Files Image(s)

Some sword design sketches while being away for the weekend..

Attached Files Image(s)

Some SketchDaily poses.. will try to do these more often as they are quite fun to do

Attached Files Image(s)

Enlarged the thumb and roughed in the composition

Attached Files Image(s)

Changed the scene again (still trying to figure out the right approach) ..the colors are at least starting to work again so that's a start :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Some more work on the environment piece..
also got an urge to paint Midna (from Legend of Zelda) my favorite childhood character

Attached Files Image(s)

Great sketchbook MiniPantsu - lots of hard work here. I love the different techniques you use - silhouettes, enlarging thumbnails to complete the compositions - awesome.

Not sure if you know about this study technique - it might help you but ignore if not (your anatomy looks pretty good from what I can see so it might not advance you any) - anatomy tracing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP--30V8ZA4

Anyway keep up the awesomeness dude!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(05-04-2016, 08:50 AM)Artloader Wrote: Great sketchbook MiniPantsu - lots of hard work here.  I love the different techniques you use - silhouettes, enlarging thumbnails to complete the compositions - awesome.  

Not sure if you know about this study technique - it might help you but ignore if not (your anatomy looks pretty good from what I can see so it might not advance you any) - anatomy tracing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP--30V8ZA4

Anyway keep up the awesomeness dude!
Thank you Artloader! 

I try to use anything that gets me to the result I'm after.. also exploring all the different approaches will most likely lead to a faster workflow later on so that's another plus. However I have to make sure to keep a clear set of steps.. because it's also quite easy for me to get lost in exploration and lose focus of the original idea. It's all about balance I suppose..

I appreciate your help with the anatomy.. I will definitely try it out! :)
Added a bit clearer narrative to the enviro piece.. something I have to learn to do right away in the sketching phase.. otherwise it just leads to more wasted time.

Also added colors to Midna (layer masked under the sketch)

Attached Files Image(s)