Pattison's Sketchbook
Hello all, I aim to use this thread to post most of the work that I do (as often as I can). Honest feedback would be much appreciated.

Here's some recent sketchbook pages from the past few days, chugging my way through George Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy:

Attached Files Image(s)

W.I.P shot of a study of Sargent's portrait of Monet, not too sure how to get the canvas texture in there.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi again Pattison, looks like you are off to a nice start! Anatomy study and master paintings are good exercises, I need to do more of those myself. :-) BTW, when you scan pages, flip 'em to the right orientation before uploading. PS or any other painting or image-editing software will be able to do this. It makes the drawings easier to see.

I like all the little notes I see in your SB! That's a very good habit for learning.

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!
(06-26-2016, 08:01 PM)Mechanizoid Wrote: Hi again Pattison, looks like you are off to a nice start! Anatomy study and master paintings are good exercises, I need to do more of those myself. :-) BTW, when you scan pages, flip 'em to the right orientation before uploading. PS or any other painting or image-editing software will be able to do this. It makes the drawings easier to see.

I like all the little notes I see in your SB! That's a very good habit for learning.

Thanks again Mechanizoid, I'll remember to rotate next time.
Still figuring out how I start a painting in photoshop, next study I want to bring some texture in and focus on blending.

Attached Files Image(s)

Great start. I like your notes on anatomy and the almost diagrammatic way of approaching the muscle study for placement and identification. What will also be beneficial are doing more 3D representations of the same in perspective. Studies of the Asaro head are gonna be good, so keep doing those. Don't worry too much about texture up front...it's not the important part to the fundamentals game, structure, proportion, perspective, value, color those are the fundamentals, but never let that stop you from exploring if you want!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Welcome to the secret guild known as Crimson Daggers!

Excellent start to your sketchbook dude - diving straight in with anatomy studies - my favourite topic :). One thing that helps me with anatomy if you can be bothered is finding out where each muscle originates and inserts onto the skeleton. It helps when you then go to invent poses from imagination.

Keep up the hard work dude - looking good already :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(06-28-2016, 10:40 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: Great start. I like your notes on anatomy and the almost diagrammatic way of approaching the muscle study for placement and identification. What will also be beneficial are doing more 3D representations of the same in perspective.  Studies of the Asaro head are gonna be good, so keep doing those. Don't worry too much about texture up front...it's not the important part to the fundamentals game, structure, proportion, perspective, value, color those are the fundamentals, but never let that stop you from exploring if you want!

Thanks Amit, I really appreciate the pointers. Now that you mention it the idea of drawing anatomy with perspective will be a great exercise. It'll be handy to have that knowledge for making finished pieces and compositions.

(06-29-2016, 12:34 AM)Artloader Wrote: Welcome to the secret guild known as Crimson Daggers!  

Excellent start to your sketchbook dude - diving straight in with anatomy studies - my favourite topic :).  One thing that helps me with anatomy if you can be bothered is finding out where each muscle originates and inserts onto the skeleton.  It helps when you then go to invent poses from imagination.

Keep up the hard work dude - looking good already :).

Thank you Artloader! I think Proko's anatomy course takes about origins and insertions, so brushing up on them would be a massive help.
(06-25-2016, 06:10 PM)Pattison Wrote: Hello all, I aim to use this thread to post most of the work that I do (as often as I can). Honest feedback would be much appreciated.

Here's some recent sketchbook pages from the past few days, chugging my way through George Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy:

Great studies mate! I have found bridgeman so difficult to interpret as his drawings are so scratchy and messy. Yours look great.
(06-26-2016, 12:53 PM)Pattison Wrote: W.I.P shot of a study of Sargent's portrait of Monet, not too sure how to get the canvas texture in there.

You can find canvas textures online that you can intergrate into your work or use Corel Painter.
(07-01-2016, 11:09 PM)BrandonStudio Wrote:
(06-25-2016, 06:10 PM)Pattison Wrote: Hello all, I aim to use this thread to post most of the work that I do (as often as I can). Honest feedback would be much appreciated.

Great studies mate! I have found bridgeman so difficult to interpret as his drawings are so scratchy and messy. Yours look great.

Thank you! I see what you mean, at times it gets quite confusing.

(07-01-2016, 11:11 PM)BrandonStudio Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 12:53 PM)Pattison Wrote: W.I.P shot of a study of Sargent's portrait of Monet, not too sure how to get the canvas texture in there.

You can find canvas textures online that you can intergrate into your work or use Corel Painter.

Thanks for the info, might jump into using them later once I have a better grasp of painting.
Another head study, the rulers and guides in photoshop are super handy for making sure things line up. I also have quite a back log of sketches from the past few days so I'll go through and post some up soon.

Attached Files Image(s)

One of my recent sketchbook pages, the Frazetta tracing is for inking practice.

Attached Files Image(s)

A recent ink drawing for my Transmedia Narrative class. I feel that the left leg is very stiff and wooden compared to the rest of his body. Next time I will look up reference and figure out how I can give it more flow. The ribcage looks off too, might go for simpler shading in that area next time? I think I might try and cut back the detail in order to really nail the flow of the whole figure.

Attached Files Image(s)

A three hour study from today, I aim paint to one a day.

Attached Files Image(s)

Today's study, perhaps I bit off too much? I guess its too early to judge.

Attached Files Image(s)

Neat. Asaro head!

Your lastest Asaro head piece looks a bit misshapen.. Have you tried Dorien Iten's accuracy training? It's over here just in case you haven't heard of it: http://www.dorian-iten.com/accuracy/

And there's an article he made about value sketching: http://www.dorian-iten.com/value-study/

Not a bad idea to supplement you learning forms with those babies. The day those materials were introduced to me, it changed the way I draw things.. Let me know how it goes!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(12-20-2016, 11:41 PM)John Wrote: Neat. Asaro head!

Your lastest Asaro head piece looks a bit misshapen.. Have you tried Dorien Iten's accuracy training? It's over here just in case you haven't heard of it: http://www.dorian-iten.com/accuracy/

And there's an article he made about value sketching: http://www.dorian-iten.com/value-study/

Not a bad idea to supplement you learning forms with those babies. The day those materials were introduced to me, it changed the way I draw things.. Let me know how it goes!

Thanks John! 

I see what you mean by it being misshapen, the bases tend to trip me up.

I haven't tried Dorien Iten's accuracy training, but I'll check it out. I think I saw something similar on James Gurney's blog about a book called Drawing like a Mathematician (or something similar)?

The value sketching article was handy in today's study. But it'll be more effective for a longer piece e.g an original illustration or a ten hour study.
Today's study, I got most of the image down in the first half (of three hours) and then did a bit of correcting in the middle. I focused on the face towards the end but I mushed it. I will paint a portrait next, so I don't get too absorbed in the working on everything.

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:I think I saw something similar on James Gurney's blog about a book called Drawing like a Mathematician (or something similar)?

Haven't heard about that. What's it say?

Quote:The value sketching article was handy in today's study. But it'll be more effective for a longer piece e.g an original illustration or a ten hour study.

Glad it helped. It's a great timesaver!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead