Easy to learn 3d software for anatomy reference?
Hey guys. I've noticed a lot of artists using 3d software as a means to get exact pose/anatomy references. This seems extremely handy since it can take me hours to find a decent reference online if it happens to be a particularly unorthodox pose or tricky angle/foreshortening.  Could anyone recommend me a beginner-friendly (and not too expensive) 3d software, especially one that specializes in human figures?

~
Blender is not too expensive (it's free) but I wouldn't say it was beginner friendly - however there is a wealth of tutorials available to help people get up and running.  

I've seen that there are a few people on this forum that use it.

You can download it and view the free tutorials here:

https://www.blender.org/

Hope that helps and good luck in your quest Aere :).

PS// If you end up giving Blender a go - I am no expert but have been using it for a few years on and off so would be happy to have a go at answering any queries you might have - drop me a PM or something :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

(07-23-2016, 07:57 AM)Artloader Wrote: Blender is not too expensive (it's free) but I wouldn't say it was beginner friendly - however there is a wealth of tutorials available to help people get up and running.  

I've seen that there are a few people on this forum that use it.

You can download it and view the free tutorials here:

https://www.blender.org/

Hope that helps and good luck in your quest Aere :).

PS// If you end up giving Blender a go - I am no expert but have been using it for a few years on and off so would be happy to have a go at answering any queries you might have - drop me a PM or something :).

Hey thanks so much. I can't complain if it's free and don't mind getting my hands a little dirty to learn the ropes :D

~
If you need it for human figures then you should use DAZ 3D. It comes with human models and poses. You can also move limbs to your liking as it is designed for getting the right poses. However that is not a best way to get a reference for study as it's not a real life pose and you can get some weird, unrealistic stuff.

As for blender it's great but mainly for environmental modeling. You can however import poses from DAZ and incorporate them into the scene.

have you guys checked makehuman? in the case you guys want to block out your scene completely inside blender without using Daz for humans, there is a free plugin for blender that lets you personalize a human character (man or woman; child or elderly, thin or fat, etc...) put it into blender, pose it or animate it, and so on.

http://www.makehuman.org/

Looks pretty cool Eduardo - I'd heard of MakeHuman before but never really looked into it - might give it a whirl with Blender at some point - thanks for the link :).

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Oh cool thing Eduardo. I might try that out.

And I'm looking forward to your mentoring program.