Ambi's Sketchbook
Thanks nymph0.

I've been sick so this is the only thing I've done recently:
[Image: 33gE7PT.png]
I was going to paint it, but after a few days of looking at it I've decided I don't like it enough for that.
Made some changes to that last one, still unsure about it:
[Image: 7ow4Hmp.png]

Picarto stream shenanigans:
[Image: Tbt78qD.png]
[Image: WQq9YvD.png]
[Image: w1XL74X.png]
Definitely like the second version more (female character with the sword), it goes much better with the character's personality. However, I notice that some of the lines get a little shaky (for example, the flowing part of the sleeve). I know it's hard to get real smooth curved lines digitally, but fixing that would help.

(10-24-2016, 09:03 AM)Nick Waldinger Wrote: Definitely like the second version more (female character with the sword), it goes much better with the character's personality. However, I notice that some of the lines get a little shaky (for example, the flowing part of the sleeve). I know it's hard to get real smooth curved lines digitally, but fixing that would help.

Thanks, and yeah it was never meant to stand on it's own as line art since I was going to paint over it. That's why I didn't add any purposeful line weight variation either
Studying on hangout:
[Image: zrLBVzG.png]

Some sanity portraits
[Image: pwKlZdi.png]
The one in front is the only thing that survived yesterday's stream, the one in the back is from today.

.:Edit:.
More hands, this time without reference:
[Image: msoNrj2.png]
Pretty hard for me to control the finger proportions while trying to make everything fit in perspective.

And a figure for funzies:
[Image: Jr1yWBq.png]
The one sort of good thing I got out of finding shapes in scribbles:
[Image: NXp82pR.png]

Some environment practice stuff:
[Image: Bwj8BqU.png]
LOOL the mouse by the base of the toilet, so cute :D keep up the great work!
Thanks Jey'.

Bit of the animu:
[Image: f9xZbgA.png]

And my first painted, fully clothed figure:
[Image: TiUeIa9.png]
http://graphics-pp.deviantart.com/art/Of...-647841069
This took me way too long imo, almost as long as the last full illustration I did. I think I need to work on my painting process, especially for the way I pick colors.

.:Edit:.
I liked my original face sketch better so I'm posting it:
[Image: lwFDHku.png]
I really gotta figure out how to integrate my sketch into the painting better :\.
New painting experiment:
[Image: portrait_of_a_girl_7_by_graphics_pp-darm2v6.png]
I still have trouble getting my edges to look natural, but oh well :P.
It's been awhile since I've painted without a line sketch, thought I'd give it another go:
[Image: HtWX3UI.png]
Turned her into an elf at the last second so I can pretend I actually have ideas for paintings :P.
I don't know how long I took on this, but I'm pretty sure it's the longest I've spent on a painting so far:
[Image: Odeaf7l.png]
The character is Nana from the webcomic Four Quarters.
Hey Ambi, 

Your anatomy is really strong and your line work is so nice! Also really like the fact that on the second page, you considered the foreshortening of the character when we're looking up at her. Obviously a very good understanding of the fundamentals! 

In a couple of posts you said you found it hard to come up with ideas sometimes. I've had the same problem but found a couple of things have helped me: 

-The Idea Generator that can be found on the Resources Page comes up with really random concepts which are fun to paint and push you out of your comfort zone
-Reading fiction because as you're creating your own interpretations  of characters, these can be developed into your own narratives
-For inktober, I followed a list of environments from deviatart i.e. mystic volcano, rainforest kingdom which forced me out of my comfort zone

Hope this helps, keep going! :)

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions mannion. I didn't know there was something literally called the idea generator lol, though I think I have seen something similar for tabletop RPGs.

Some recent stuff:
[Image: TrWNkAf.png]
An art buddy's OC.

[Image: Aptt4dB.png]
Random cat grill.

[Image: w5WS8rQ.png]
And some gesture drawing from ref.
New stuffs:
[Image: ggzeOFB.png]
[Image: lMkjPgk.png]
[Image: 5YVfcyA.png]
[Image: MYN0izL.png]
[Image: OQz3XIR.png]
[Image: PzMoBRU.png]
Really liking the skin tone studies. I'd recommend using photo reference for paintings like the one where she's sipping a mocha(?) on the couch. Not only for the drawing stage but also to help with locating where certain shadows and occlusions are.

Keep going!
Thanks for the reply Hozure.

I was working on legs a lot today, but there was nothing really worth keeping, so here's some other stuff instead :).
[Image: cBwsV9K.png]
Typical Ambi face stuff, and a few straight painting pieces partially from Chinese tutorials I can't read lol.

[Image: EpLnXd6.png]
45min still life of my mug I did a few days ago. Didn't really learn anything.
Been doing some value practice after reading a tutorial from Camila Veilmond:
[Image: BHXMWU9.png]
[Image: 0WD2Atg.png]
I've been forcing myself to start straight in tone since it's something I wanna get good at. I've actually been doing a lot of leg practice too, but I'm still super uncomfortable with them, so I deleted everything.
I think I'm getting a little more comfortable with the legs. I especially wanted to work on their attachment to the torso, and balancing them both in various poses:
[Image: DRTu910.png]
[Image: wgMNtDn.png]

I was getting bored of ultra clean gesture lines, so I decided to just scribble:
[Image: OS5X3aY.png]
[Image: Qrz2s7V.png]
I was trying to figure out Daeho Cha's style with this, he's so good at getting cartoon-ish girls to feel like real people. I don't think I did a good job with that, but maybe I'm expecting too much from just line work:
[Image: BdWQDPZ.png]

Portrait I did of an art buddy while she was on hangout:
[Image: 0V3Xn7w.png]

Typical random Ambi face, but tried more of a profile view:
[Image: z5KAbgE.png]

Moar anatomy BS:
[Image: mMRnXtz.png]
[Image: MSbwcf9.png]
[Image: ldAQFPs.png]
[Image: AK118eu.png]

Some things I did yesterday, I guess those Daeho studies kinda rubbed off because this is more cartoony than what I normally do:
[Image: FaClqND.png]
[Image: W80KFe8.png]
Awesome sketches! I really like the small ones in 53#! See you around :)