hellllooo
Hi my name is Schwing

I found this forum via a blogpost. Looks like most of you are pros working in the industry which is really awesome. And it's really awesome because I'm a 17 year old kid from the UK who's a pretty mediocre artist who wants to make dope as fuck comic books! I'm determined to improve and get a running start with all this. Expect a lot of questions from me because I have a lot of stuff to clarify! The art world seems to not conform to the linearity I have seen from most conventional careers I've been exposed to.
I haven't always wanted to be a comic book artist. Ever since I was about 15 I've had it in my head that I'd be an engineer. I got the GCSEs. I came out with A* in maths physics and A in design technology. I got a scholarship fund. I chose full STEM for my A level background.
One day it just hit me. I had some sort of transcendental epiphany or some shit. I kid you not! I was feeling despondent about my future. Thinking about what I really want out of it. I can rationalise for life but the fact of the matter is I'm just a kid who hasn't experienced the world yet. And I want to experience it in the best way I possibly can.
I'm going to follow my heart and see where it leads me. Pursuing this dream gives me a feeling I've never felt before - concrete resolve. It's something there no matter what and I can draw strength from it any time.

"I want to be the best"

Just saying that make me feel like I can do anything! I'm tired of feeling restricted. I'm tired of holding back.

[Image: uOBOztR.jpg]
Hi Schwing,

Quote:Expect a lot of questions from me because I have a lot of stuff to clarify!

Before you do, it can't hurt to Google your inquiries first. Or use the search features here before you ask. Chat it up in the Shoutbox. More often than not someone's bound to answer.

Quote:Pursuing this dream gives me a feeling I've never felt before - concrete resolve.

Here's to hoping you challenge that and go beyond just feelings. Feelings are fleeting. Resolve takes more than that. If I may ask, how consistent are you with being on the drawing board?

Hey man, welcome to the Crimson Daggers. And your name reminds me of this:

[Image: wYNkOdF.gif]

Make an SB! Learn. Pass the knowledge around!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
(06-29-2017, 11:32 PM)John Wrote: Hi Schwing,

Quote:Expect a lot of questions from me because I have a lot of stuff to clarify!

Before you do, it can't hurt to Google your inquiries first. Or use the search features here before you ask. Chat it up in the Shoutbox. More often than not someone's bound to answer.

Quote:Pursuing this dream gives me a feeling I've never felt before - concrete resolve.

Here's to hoping you challenge that and go beyond just feelings. Feelings are fleeting. Resolve takes more than that. If I may ask, how consistent are you with being on the drawing board?

Hey man, welcome to the Crimson Daggers. And your name reminds me of this:

[Image: wYNkOdF.gif]

Make an SB! Learn. Pass the knowledge around!

The question is where to start asking questions, HAH! This line of work seems pretty hairy and I want a clear picture of it before I get out of highschool.
Feelings are fleeting for sure! But is something you feel too right? I've felt pretty beaten down a couple of times but then the resolve kicks in.
I aim to draw every single day. I've been told not to go 'all or nothing'. I'm with that. Usually I sit down on a night and chug some shit out. I've been drawing 3 years just about on and off. I was always darting from hobby to hobby -  more so for the short term emotional gratification. And, as you said, I aim to challenge that mentality. I can't live under the coercion that the school system provides me with to get me to succeed in life. I have to dedicate myself. And if I'm going to dedicate myself to anything, it's going to be this!
Oh yea! I get that a lot. I actually got it from here:

Hey welcome to Crimson Daggers Schwing :).

I'm into comics too - you say you'd like to be a comic book artist but does it stop there or do you want to create the whole comic - story writing as well?

For me my art journey has evolved beyond just comics I love creating art for it's own sake now - do you think that would be the case for you? If so have you considered a formal art education?

Anyway - good luck with this - I'd encourage you to start a sketchbook and work hard - put that resolve to the test!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Quote:This line of work seems pretty hairy

How so?

Quote:Feelings are fleeting for sure! But is something you feel too right?

If by 'resolve' you mean that feeling you get when drawing that you seem to be in your element, sure I do. But that hardly counts as resolve. 'Resolve' is a word reserved to describe a thing you need do rather than the thing you want to do. Have you ever said to yourself that you'd rather play video games instead than just draw? Or go out with friends, or watch Youtube, or anything else besides making art?

When things get tough, when things don't line up the way you wanted it, that's probably a good time to assess if you do have resolve.

(I talk as if I'm the one to talk... I'd rather look at everyone's art and chatting it up on the forum than doing my own, as we can both witness how long I'm typing my messages out!)

All I'm saying, you are young. Darting hobby to hobby is probably a good thing to do at your age and there's nothing wrong with it. You don't want to be stuck with doing something out of stubbornness, which in turn, regretting the stuff you wish you'd do while you still have your youth. Then again, who am I to say what you should do!

Go do whatever! But most importantly, start posting your work!

... or not!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
Quote:Hey welcome to Crimson Daggers Schwing :).

Hi!

Quote:I'm into comics too - you say you'd like to be a comic book artist but does it stop there or do you want to create the whole comic - story writing as well?

Everything. I wouldn't mind collaborating with other people though. But my main goal is to create my own comic. I've been drafting out ideas in a little notebook. Going for a cyberpunk/ lovecraftian theme! Should be fun! I'm not diving in straight away. I have never really seriously got down and tried to produce a story. So, my skills in storytelling are a bit iffy.

Quote:For me my art journey has evolved beyond just comics I love creating art for it's own sake now - do you think that would be the case for you? If so have you considered a formal art education?

Anyway - good luck with this - I'd encourage you to start a sketchbook and work hard - put that resolve to the test!

I guess I like producing art in general too. Illustration is also something I want to do as well. I would really like to make cover art for music albums. Cover art always inspires me! As for art education, I am cramming the entire 2 year high school course into one year (after my summer holidays which I just started). Seriously, it's like my subjects are tectonic plates and a big fuck off earthquake's gone and happened. I've shuffled them all around so that I can timetable art classes. That mean 16 periods of art a week which is twice than if I'd be doing it in 2 years. It's gonna be tough. But hey, I'm putting my resolve to the test right? Hehe. As for art school I'm quite sceptical. It's one of the main things I want to ask you guys about. I'll make a separate post about it in due time!

Thanks man! Sketchbook is underway! Showing my drawings to other people is actually a pretty big fear of mine. Definitely need to crack that one.

Quote:
Quote: Wrote:This line of work seems pretty hairy

How so?

It's just that it doesn't conform to the typical job structure and it's mostly freelancing with little pay. Your average job is one where you get a degree, get chartered, get in at a firm or a company or whatever, work your way up to management. That's at least the image currently fostered in my 17 year old mind right now. Freelancing also seems iffy. Lot's of paperwork involved between you and the client and you have all this copyright business too. Also, I need a day job to get myself off the ground and I need to be able to zealously market myself and build a following or it'll flop. I've heard illustration and comic books is like being a one man business: you are the accountant, the artist, the marketing director, the distributor, the publisher etc. 

Quote:If by 'resolve' you mean that feeling you get when drawing that you seem to be in your element, sure I do. But that hardly counts as resolve. 'Resolve' is a word reserved to describe a thing you need do rather than the thing you want to do. Have you ever said to yourself that you'd rather play video games instead than just draw? Or go out with friends, or watch Youtube, or anything else besides making art?

When things get tough, when things don't line up the way you wanted it, that's probably a good time to assess if you do have resolve.

We seem to have different meanings attached to the word. For me resolve is something set in stone by a firm decision you have made yourself. When you feel beaten down it acts as a buffer and you get a surge of willpower to go back.
I have felt like doing other things instead of doing art when I've felt really despondent. I've had dumb teenage existential crises aplenty. But, I've managed to pull myself out of those and from them they've helped me figure out what I am doing really means to me. I'm sure there are more to come though!

Quote:All I'm saying, you are young. Darting hobby to hobby is probably a good thing to do at your age and there's nothing wrong with it. You don't want to be stuck with doing something out of stubbornness, which in turn, regretting the stuff you wish you'd do while you still have your youth. Then again, who am I to say what you should do!

Well since when were kids supposed to listen to adults anyway? HAH! I've been told all sorts of things. My parents aren't on board with me on my dream. Neither is anyone at school really. But the best way to learn is to do it. I can't live by other people's opinions. I'm sick of it. Either way, when I look back at my youth when I am 30-something I might regret that I didn't spend my youth following my passion. I'm going to follow my heart. I'm not choosing my path out of fear of regret. Stubbornness isn't necessarily a bad thing. Merely a trait that precipitates both strength and weakness.
I truly want to excel in something. I feel an alignment with art - it's hard to explain. I think I've found my passion. I'm just going to go for it. A method is a method. I don't see art as a solution. It's just another path to life and an interesting one where my heart lies at that.

Quote:Go do whatever! But most importantly, start posting your work!

'Go do whatever' - words to live by!
Yup. I have a fear of sharing my art. I need to crack it. So I'll start posting right away.

Quote:I found this forum via a blogpost. Looks like most of you are pros working in the industry which is really awesome. And it's really awesome because I'm a 17 year old kid from the UK who's a pretty mediocre artist who wants to make dope as fuck comic books! I'm determined to improve and get a running start with all this.

Eyyy, same age buddy what's up xD! Same here but with concept art. 

Quote:The art world seems to not conform to the linearity I have seen from most conventional careers I've been exposed to.

I'm curious, what do you mean by this?
Wait I just read your reply nvm. I guess so, I'm not too certain about comic books, but for concept art you can work in house as well and be full time. 

Quote:I haven't always wanted to be a comic book artist. Ever since I was about 15 I've had it in my head that I'd be an engineer. I got the GCSEs. I came out with A* in maths physics and A in design technology. I got a scholarship fund. I chose full STEM for my A level background.

One day it just hit me. I had some sort of transcendental epiphany or some shit. I kid you not! I was feeling despondent about my future. Thinking about what I really want out of it. I can rationalise for life but the fact of the matter is I'm just a kid who hasn't experienced the world yet. And I want to experience it in the best way I possibly can.

I'm going to follow my heart and see where it leads me. Pursuing this dream gives me a feeling I've never felt before - concrete resolve. It's something there no matter what and I can draw strength from it any time.

I can relate pretty well. I grew up in a family and with a group of friends who really valued academic success with pretty much everyone around me working/aiming for STEM field jobs. I'm mostly A's but I'm definitely not getting any scholarships LMAO with my last semester grades. 
I 100% support you if this is really what you want to do. I kinda feel you on people not really agreeing with your choice D:. I find though, if you show others how serious you are about something they usually are ok with it. I'm not sure but it sounds like only recently you've decided on this path. I think you should spend some time deciding the details to your plan in terms of education. 

Good luck man!

Quote:Eyyy, same age buddy what's up xD! Same here but with concept art. 

Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

You're freaky good for someone our age! Then again I'm freaky bad. We make a good match.

Quote:I can relate pretty well. I grew up in a family and with a group of friends who really valued academic success with pretty much everyone around me working/aiming for STEM field jobs. I'm mostly A's but I'm definitely not getting any scholarships LMAO with my last semester grades. 

I 100% support you if this is really what you want to do. I kinda feel you on people not really agreeing with your choice D:. I find though, if you show others how serious you are about something they usually are ok with it. I'm not sure but it sounds like only recently you've decided on this path. I think you should spend some time deciding the details to your plan in terms of education. 

Thank you. Support from internet people is great but I don't have shit from anyone around me. I just have to get my head down and work hard. Then people will change their minds eventually. I just have to get out of this house and this school before it gets to me!