Darktiste Sketchbook
This end up my primitive weapon set.I will be moving to primitive costume design next.For those who wonder what the material on the top of the spear it whale bone and it poreous so it does absorb alot of light and it not reflective.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Had problem tracking my deadline on this one and tried a new software to see my preference one between photoshop and sketchbook pro i would prefer to use for symmetry also since i had less experience in sketchbook pro i was alot slower than on photoshop.

Since i am not even sure people will understand what this is i will tell you it a fur cap.It was not easy finding idea of what a primitive character would wear on is head i tried something else less cliché then a skull it a cool idea but i wanted something more practical.So i though why not make a fur head gear so that there head stay warm will they would go hunt mammoth.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Tried to do a primitive costume fail horribly due to my inability to render fold and control edge in photoshop and i lost the document at the last minute due to me not understand how photoshop pop up window work .YEAH SUPER PRODUCTIVE!!!.I also Realize how annoying resizing brush can be.Sometime you just got those bad day that you want to forget.I wish everyday were productive and i could be proud of every drawing i produce but the reality is not a fairytail.The lesson i want to share is don't beat yourself to much over the error you make there alway space for improvement and don't do like me and get impatient when sh1t hit the fan.Also sometime you don't learn from your error or can't see them when people try to show them to you so repeating them is need until you can level up.Let use a video game metaphore to end sometime you gotta fight more mob andd change your gear and tactic to kill the boss.

My Sketchbook
Darktiste, i will say to you the advice i wanted to be said to me a few years ago and i would be right now a bit more advanced on my artistic path;
- Don´t fear your weaknesses, don´t fear failing, embrace it, the failings of today will be your experience of tomorrow artisticwise. Be persistent, do 100 bad drawings/ studies but put yourself on the battlefield, 1000 bad drawigs if it is what it takes to remove bad work from your system.
- I wish i hadn´t been  fearful in my transition from traditional to the digital painting realm, i wish i didn´t make excuses on why i would not need practice in digital painting/fundamentals.
I can´t change the past but i can change the future.

If it encorages you, i´ll show you one of my first digital paintings and how bad it sucks.

Hard work dude Cheers!

(03-16-2019, 10:28 PM)RickRichards Wrote: Darktiste, i will say to you the advice i wanted to be said to me a few years ago and i would be right now a bit more advanced on my artistic path;
- Don´t fear your weaknesses, don´t fear failing, embrace it, the failings of today will be your experience of tomorrow artisticwise. Be persistent, do 100 bad drawings/ studies but put yourself on the battlefield, 1000 bad drawigs if it is what it takes to remove bad work from your system.
- I wish i hadn´t been  fearful in my transition from traditional to the digital painting realm, i wish i didn´t make excuses on why i would not need practice in digital painting/fundamentals.

If it encorages you, i´ll show you one of my first digital paintings and how bad it sucks.

Hard work dude Cheers!
The problem with creating drawing that are bad is that it chip away your confidence and to create good drawing you need to be confident or you get easly derailed when sh1t it the fan.It not easy to push through a bad drawing but you eventually learn that you can fix your drawing sometime.The problem is when you work destructively and you don't create safety net in a digital medium if you fail at certain stage of a drawing.It important to create those safety net and that what i am trying to fix.

Digital paint is much more forgiving in term of error making but traditional drawing is what create confidence in your own skill because it remove the digital assistance.

My Sketchbook
To day was a great day.The computer i am working on almost manage to make me lose my concentration(slow as fuck sometime reason being my computer storage is almost full and the memory is insufficant to keep up).I learned once again the value of saving often sadly i once again had to lose some of my work.Don't be like me save often.

My Sketchbook
Hey Darktiste, was passing by and I see you re still crippled with some self confidence issue. I want to add my grain of salt to what everyone has already said, in hope that some of it may be of use to you.

What works for me to work on a regular basis is simply cutting off all distractions and not caring about the audience response. I don't play video game anymore. I don't party often. I just work every days and take a few hours a day to watch movie or hang out with friend, but my life is 80% about drawing right now , and that's the only way for me to discipline myself to work constantly. Cutting everything uneccessary.
As for people response, you know, people forget about you five minute after seing your work. Sometime its fives second. No more. You re a breeze in their life, a fleeting passenger , and that the same for everyone. Don't be concerned about what people think of you. They don't care about you. They don't care about anyone but their relatives and themselves. You re the only one who can do something for yourself, and making excuse and cursing your bad luck won't help you. You ll just get stuck at your place forever. And you're not the only one, everyone is like that at a moment of their life.
I think you think too hard about all of this. I may not be the best person to say that, because I'm an artist in training too, but at some point you just gotta stop thinking about things. And do it. It's as simple as that.
Everyone here understand you to a degree, because as artist we are all familiar with repeated failure and the comparison to more seasoned veteran. You have to move on, you re obviously disatisfied and people patting you on the head won't help you grow as an accomplished artist. Only hard work everyday will.

As a technical note, some artist like craig mullins and Bastien lecouffe deharm have five time the same brush in their photoshop list, at different size, which allows them to quickly switch between determined sizes by assigning a hotkey to switch between brush (back and forth).
For the save issue, you should try working on one layer for some painting. I sometime do that (its more convenient for things like smudge tool) and it's help build confidence. It's ok to have failed stuff. Just accept that you have to grow and to learn and be humble about it. That doesn't make your opinion less valuable, as everyone's opinion is valuable, even the one of people that don't do art as they are the main audience in the end.
(03-23-2019, 11:13 AM)Baldgate Wrote: Hey Darktiste, was passing by and I see you re still crippled with some self confidence issue. I want to add my grain of salt to what everyone has already said, in hope that some of it may be of use to you.

What works for me to work on a regular basis is simply cutting off all distractions and not caring about the audience response. I don't play video game anymore. I don't party often. I just work every days and take a few hours a day to watch movie or hang out with friend, but my life is 80% about drawing right now , and that's the only way for me to discipline myself to work constantly. Cutting everything uneccessary.
As for people response, you know, people forget about you five minute after seing your work. Sometime its fives second. No more. You re a breeze in their life, a fleeting passenger , and that the same for everyone. Don't be concerned about what people think of you. They don't care about you. They don't care about anyone but their relatives and themselves. You re the only one who can do something for yourself, and making excuse and cursing your bad luck won't help you. You ll just get stuck at your place forever. And you're not the only one, everyone is like that at a moment of their life.
I think you think too hard about all of this. I may not be the best person to say that, because I'm an artist in training too, but at some point you just gotta stop thinking about things. And do it. It's as simple as that.
Everyone here understand you to a degree, because as artist we are all familiar with repeated failure and the comparison to more seasoned veteran. You have to move on, you re obviously disatisfied and people patting you on the head won't help you grow as an accomplished artist. Only hard work everyday will.

I don't think i am particularly trying to stay at the same place in fact putting down my thought in my sketchbook is away to say ok i see i got x y z problem now let me tell you why and what i will try to do to fix those problem.I think it just a part of my authenticity to show there as to be a struggle to grow.It not an exercise of comparaison of self bashing it an attempt to record disastifaction to move on to higher place.If this record can be useful to just 1 other person i think it worth being in my sketchbook.

I know it bug the sh1t out of people who would like to push under the rug anything they see as negative.
I personally find that we need to see both side of the artistic journey the struggle and the victory.

What is transpiring from the community is shut up and work .It kinda annoying but understandable people don't come here to see me talk about problem they come here to get inspired and to help.I just feel like i got a responsability to show people that excuse won't work in here.That we can actually be open about were problem and that people can come together and find solution.

Without this discussion i don't think you can simply solve thing with hard work because you simply burn out running into the same problem over and over again you need to be able to find people willing to help you ease the problem solving.

My Sketchbook
I understand your standing point, What I'm trying to say is that I have been there and I don't mean to ''shut you up'' because i'm bugged off "by your negativity", I just meant that posting often, getting past your fear of being judged and practice will probably get you where you want. I'm sorry if its came across as rude, It's really my feelings about the whole study thing. I have read a lot of artist interview who are now in the industry and a good part of them had actually the same experience, describing the uncertainty period before the breakthrough as difficult . The general answers of the industry is like that because its come from experience, its happened to many people before us and they all went past it with huge workload, some of them claiming an average of 12 hours of work every days for a few years.

I certainly agree that mentor and helping people will improve your odds .
(03-24-2019, 04:49 AM)Baldgate Wrote: I understand your standing point, What I'm trying to say is that I have been there and I don't mean to ''shut you up'' because i'm bugged off "by your negativity",  I just meant that posting often, getting past your fear of being judged and practice will probably get you where you want. I'm sorry if its came across as rude, It's really my feelings about the whole study thing. I have read a lot of artist interview who are now in the industry and a good part of them had actually the same experience, describing the uncertainty period before the breakthrough as difficult . The general answers of the industry is like that because its come from experience, its happened to many people before us and they all went past it with huge workload, some of them claiming an average of 12 hours of work every days for a few years.

I certainly agree that mentor and helping people will improve your odds .

Thank for sharing and caring.

My Sketchbook
I think it more a concern to be overwhelm with criticism and not knowing how to sometime digest it in a constructive way.Critism is like taking side quest it help you get prepare before you take on bigger boss.But you can take so many side quest that you can lose your direction if you are not concious of your goal.It important to be able to integrate those quest into the main quest in my opinion.Not just following the critism and see where it lead you.What is hard is to determine if a critism is constructive or not but more then what i find important is to be able to humble yourself down.

Sorry for all the game reference it help me express myself due to my limited english vocabulary.

My Sketchbook
Same here, I often felt overwhelmed too by the sheer number of thing you have to learn. Perspective , anatomy, architecture, style etc... you can easily be lost . Each company ask a different thing too, so I guess having a very clear goal will help. I think fundamentals are the equipment of your quest though : Even when you don't have the exp, gear buffs will get you through hardships.
If anyone reading this sketchbook should retain anything from what i say seriously is save often i don't care if i repeat myself it the second time in a few day i lost like 1 hour of work this time could have been way worst .Please don't be like be you will feel extremely stupid not only because you might have to restart over but also because you will lose the ''amazing'' work you never be able to totally replicate back where it was it might be for good or for bad.But just imagine now your on tight deadline and the work is pilling up.You definitevely don't want this to happen.It could cost you a job seriously.

After some research to see if there was any left trace of the file i did a quick search and find out that apparently adobe illustrator cs6 as not the same back up capacity that photoshop cs6 has but it as improve since.

My Sketchbook
(03-17-2019, 09:08 AM)darktiste Wrote:
(03-16-2019, 10:28 PM)RickRichards Wrote: Darktiste, i will say to you the advice i wanted to be said to me a few years ago and i would be right now a bit more advanced on my artistic path;

Hard work dude Cheers!
The problem with creating drawing that are bad is that it chip away your confidence and to create good drawing you need to be confident or you get easly derailed when sh1t it the fan.It not easy to push through a bad drawing but you eventually learn that you can fix your drawing sometime.The problem is when you work destructively and you don't create safety net in a digital medium if you fail at certain stage of a drawing.It important to create those safety net and that what i am trying to fix.

Digital paint is much more forgiving in term of error making but traditional drawing is what create confidence in your own skill because it remove the digital assistance.

I was just reading through your post and I just wanted to say something that I just recently figured out, not saying you haven't already but for me it just hit me. 
Dont get me wrong I'm bot trying to act like I'm a ything special over here I just want to say this to you for some reason.
Dude I'm getting a bit long in the tooth, I may not have ever been super serious about it but I've been drawing since I was like 3 or 4. Just things I would remember from a cartoon or a movie or whatever. At some point someone told me I had to draw a certain way if I was ever going to be a real artist so I would always try to approach a drawing like the way that artist did. I would fail miserably most of the time but I would think "itll come, I'll get there one day" but here I am 32 years old and I just cant draw like Jim Lee. It just dawned on me the other day after thinking about something someone said on here that I had been spending all this time trying to artistically be someone else and that is why I was failing. I just let go of how I thought I was supposed to go about creating art and just started doing it in a way that feels natural to me and my results are way better. I dont know if this applies to you or not but I say to hell with any rule books or your favorite artists process. Like Bruce Lee said "be like water" and just let it happen in your own voice and maybe you will have less bad experiences.
SufferDriver-I got not much to say style often take time to show it face it still a challenge to be able to copy someone else style but i definitevely want mine one day.

I am back finally rendering some sh1t up.

Here a trio of sword.

I am gonna try to play with different metal like bronze and gold in future drawing and other materiel like wood and fabric.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Here a trio of daggers for my weapon design serie.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Struggling more than i expected but i think it a good sign that i am not playing safe this time.I let you judge if i manage to create different type of metal or if it a fail.. i think will avoid picking up such as saturated red next time.

The theme were blunt weapon and staff.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
I know you like your texture, but at the moment it's feeling as if there's more detail in the background than the weapons themselves. Just something to think about :)
(04-24-2019, 04:06 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: I know you like your texture, but at the moment it's feeling as if there's more detail in the background than the weapons themselves. Just something to think about :)

Yea i feel you it hard to balance the noise of the subject with the noise of the background sometime thank for your honesty.

My Sketchbook
No worries! Since it's concept art, the noise of the subject should always dominate over the background. If you were to pass these concepts to a 3d modeller, detailed backgrounds would be of no use to them.