layla michelle's sketchbook
howdy yall and hello to everyone not in the west. 

i must admit i'm a bit scared to post my art around here, but it's not like it's gonna kill me. ^^

i'm going to be entering art school for a BFA Illustration in a few months. i thought it would be kinda silly to share and compare my art throughout the year? 

i'll do my best to share my art, but sometimes my nerves get the best of me. thank you for being patient with me, i'll try my mighty hardest to improve. right now i'm as lost as an easter's egg with where i want to take my art, but i think i will get there. 

[Image: V1c5TLR.png]

here's a drawing i made the other day of two funky looking chao. i'm trying my hardest to draw a lot, but right now i'm as poor as a church mouse so i don't have too much time LOL. but thank yall. byebye for now ^^
Welcome

What strike my attention first is the way you do the outline it not flowing gracefully and it inconsistent.If you want to change the thickness of the outine you should use a brush that thin out at the end.About color i feel like the color are confusing they don't help define the volume of the form in my opinion.

I tried to show you what i meant.Minus the part about color.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(05-17-2019, 01:33 PM)darktiste Wrote: Welcome

What strike my attention first is the way you do the outline it not flowing gracefully and it inconsistent.If you want to change the thickness of the outine you should use a brush that thin out at the end.About color i feel like the color are confusing they don't help define the volume of the form in my opinion.

I tried to show you what i meant.Minus the part about color.

howdy!

thanks for taking the time to help me. i like the outline you've showed me, it looks crisp. the reason the lines are inconsistent is because i paint over a sketch and use the sketch as the lines... LOL. i like the look of them, but i will try to make a cleaner outline next time i think, because the outline you've made looks quite nice.

as for the colors... yeah, they are confusing, aren't they? i've never really been good with values and bright colors (even though i enjoy using them), so i will try my best to get better with them to put some form into it.

thank you very much!
so friggin' cute. please post more.

thank you desquolor! <3

------

[Image: AWpFqWP.png]

i havent been drawing much cuz ive been really busy but i wanted to draw tough bippy - so i did a little thing for him! i'll try to get back on track soon u_u
I'm getting the feeling that adding that outline that Darkiste suggested flattens the image quite a bit; maybe just a cleaning up of your lines would suffice

Super cute stuff; I'm a fan
(06-01-2019, 03:13 PM)EveningAlgae Wrote: I'm getting the feeling that adding that outline that Darkiste suggested flattens the image quite a bit; maybe just a cleaning up of your lines would suffice

i see! the next time i draw i will try to clean up my lines more, and we will see how it looks! hopefully good, lol. 

thank you! i really appreciate it. :} <3
(06-01-2019, 03:13 PM)EveningAlgae Wrote: I'm getting the feeling that adding that outline that Darkiste suggested flattens the image quite a bit; maybe just a cleaning up of your lines would suffice

Yes it actually do but it a stylistic choose.My theory as why it does this is because object don't have thick outline.What create outline(separation) in reality is when 2 element overlap each other.You can also do outline line thin out to imply more form but i generally recommend starting practicing just with a clean outline before going with a more advance linework.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Hey Laymich,

Very nice and cute creature !

The general advice you'll probably get here is to learn the fundamentals of realistic drawings. Of course you don't necessarily need to, there are some 2D style without volume out there.

I think you need first to know what kind of art you want to make. Is it pokemon? manga? comics? realistic painting? then we could give you feedback.

For anything that'd be realistic, or even semi realistic, a good thing would be to learn the basics of rendering : how to render a sphere, a cylinder, a box in pencil, then associate the form of your creature with these basics form (for example the spherical yellow globe on the purple creature look like a sphere) and shade it accordingly.
(06-08-2019, 10:49 PM)Baldgate Wrote: Hey Laymich,

Very nice and cute creature !

The general advice you'll probably get here is to learn the fundamentals of realistic drawings. Of course you don't necessarily need to, there are some 2D style without volume out there.

I think you need first to know what kind of art you want to make. Is it pokemon? manga? comics? realistic painting? then we could give you feedback.

For anything that'd be realistic, or even semi realistic, a good thing would be to learn the basics of rendering : how to render a sphere, a cylinder, a box in pencil, then associate the form of your creature with these basics form (for example the spherical yellow globe on the purple creature look like a sphere) and shade it accordingly.

howdy! really, really sorry for the late reply, i've been really busy with moving and stuff. 

i'd like to tell you what kind of art i'd like to do - but, currently, i'm not really sure! the most i can say is that i'm thinking of changing my major from illustration to cartooning. >_<

also, i took a look at the sphere you mentioned - and you're totally right! it looks like i got really lazy with the rendering, it really looks nothing like a sphere HAHA. i'll keep that in mind and practice more with shapes and shading them! thank you very much!

-----

[Image: ol3zTLp.jpg]

[Image: YTenK8J.jpg]

here are some doodles of ben 10!! i know it's not much TT_TT but i'm trying to find a style of cartoon-y art that i really enjoy!
[Image: VeFH3Fs.png]
I really like your work and others repliers too. The work is incredible. Actually I really have great interest in art sketching etc. I'd like to show my site where you can find interesting stories, lifestyle, quotes and much more. We Provide platform that give description about lifestyle with interesting categories and Sharing Your Loving at yourslifepartner.com
Love this post/ article. well if anyone is looking for fashion, I think it may help, then visit this. https://utlogan.com/