Darktiste Sketchbook
Here 5 pair glove.One of those design gonna be rendered later on.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Tried a new more contour heavy style.

Here the rendered version of the armor i post in earlier post.
Still trying to find the right size i will be posting the next final version i find this size to be to big for my liking.
Spent 2 hour on this feeling like i was all over the place but part of the struggle was probably due to a leak of confidence in my form rendering under a light scenario even a light scenario from above and the back was proving to be challenging.
The big thing i hate about drawing was how poorly structure i was the merging layers my layer .Merging can be a great tool but i can also be a trap later on.Been using a combination of both sketchbook pro and photoshop for this one so i had to try new thing that might have add up to the clock and somewhat struggle.

Definively have to figure out how to improve the metallic texture in this style looking back at it.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Spent an other 40min trying to improve and tweak some of the stuff i mentioned.I let you be the judge if it was worth the time.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Here the rendered version of the helmet i post in earlier post this time with a dim light coming from the front bottom at an angle.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
I think i am done playing with contour line for the moment i think next i want to try a more painterly feel.Might try to play with line weight more in the future.I certainly want to improve my fabric and folding.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
I don't generally do that but here a sneak peek into my work.What your seeing is what i refer to an in between step.Right now the boot section is being colored will the upper section is still in what i refer to is color fill state.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Here the final version this time i have gone really minimal on the texture.I don't think i have come near what i was aiming toward concerning the painterly feel but i am trying to be more mindful to inject the intention but atm i guess my natural style will have to be fought.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Hey darktiste

I think when designing things you need to think about functionality more. For example, the shoes have no soles. While there's plenty of cases historically of this, you've also got a band of thick leather that seems to strap around the foot, which wouldn't be comfortable or provide any use.

I would suggest studying shoes and armour to help improve your designs. Also take a look at this https://www.artstation.com/artwork/z4Vk6 I think it's got the painterly style you are aiming towards, but it also has shoes that are functional and make sense.
(08-08-2019, 01:19 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: Hey darktiste

I think when designing things you need to think about functionality more. For example, the shoes have no soles. While there's plenty of cases historically of this, you've also got a band of thick leather that seems to strap around the foot, which wouldn't be comfortable or provide any use.

I would suggest studying shoes and armour to help improve your designs. Also take a look at this https://www.artstation.com/artwork/z4Vk6 I think it's got the painterly style you are aiming towards, but it also has shoes that are functional and make sense.

Thank for the feed back now that i look at it i forgetted to add a few thing that would have made this have more sense.For the style i think my problem right now is to figuring out how to fit my reference in my working space and since i am using one screen right now i am limited when it come to being able to have a reference always open
atm i think i am greatly handicapped because i could use one more monitor but my desktop space is limited so it make a 2 in 1 issue.So it just a big mess of an issue because it make me work mostly without reference... atm i did not come up with a solution i want to invest in yet even if i realize more and more how it hurting me on the long term.

My Sketchbook
If you use Photoshop you can have two images/documents on the screen at once. Like this:

[Image: tumblr_pvwomc59cD1xxah6io1_1280.jpg]

It's under Window - Arrange - 2-up vertical. There's lots of different layout options too. I only work in PS, but I'm sure other drawing programs would have a similar feature!
Thank it should be a nice work around for the moment.Only problem is the brush bar will be on the way since i like to see my brush this way when i have more complex brush set opened instead of this regular stardard brush set it like it this way so it avoid the waste of time scrolling to find them... but it a sacrifice i willing to make if it can help me get a reference to help my work be stronger.After all if i really need to see something i can collapse the bar for a few second and pop it back.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
An other sneak peek into my work.This time i am working on a pair of glove.Feel free to leave a critic but this one should be soon done so be fast.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
A critique? I mean, what's going on? It seems like you're content with what you're doing, like you don't try to do something more than exactly what you do. I'd compare this to asking for a critique of a smiley face, what are you supposed to say? It's a smiley face, you can't ask for more realistically represented face because the point of the smiley face is to be the most basic representation possible.

With just about everyone else, it's very clear what they want to do. They're aspiring to make something at a very high level and they fall short and it makes it very easy to offer critiques advice. This on the other hand, doesn't seem to aspire to be anything more. It doesn't take any risks outside of your comfort zone, doesn't go for anything that requires careful drawing, doesn't try to show naturalistic light or form. Like, can you point to a work of art and say "that is what I was trying to do"?. That would help everyone out because right now, it just seems like you're trying to make drawings that look like your own drawings and there's no "critique" appropriate for that.

Have you thought about just learning how to draw? Like, can you look at something and just accurately represent the form and impression? That's where you can find valuable things to discuss and critique. I don't want top psychoanalyse you but is this a kind of "I don't try so therefor I can't fail" type of thing? All your "studies" seem so abstracted that people seem confused at what's going on.

Discord - JetJaguar#8954
Thank for the critic i am just lost for word as to what i could add to that i know this sketchbook is kinda incoherent i guess maybe i will be able to give it more direction in a near future.That why i am trying to give more sneak peek into the thing i am doing before i post more finish stuff..

My Sketchbook
Here the glove final version for my cloth design series.Feel like i have been using way to many layers on this one still trying to figuring out how to make my layers cake effective will still maintaining a safety net and enough room for experimentation.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
Do you really need to put every element on it's own layer? It's looking a bit like a paper doll. And then it seems like there's a ton of texture overlayed but not much actual modeling.

(08-22-2019, 01:47 AM)JosephCow Wrote: Do you really need to put every element on it's own layer? It's looking a bit like a paper doll.  And then it seems like there's a ton of texture overlayed but not much actual modeling.

What do you recommend?

My Sketchbook
Model the form using light and shade. No pillow shading (putting shading around the edge of every shape). Don't rely on texture overlay to carry your painting.

I guess I second Tristan's question. Forgetting about weapons and armor for a moment, are you able to draw and shade just regular old stuff? Cups, tubes, balls, vases, body parts etc. etc.

That may not appeal to you much, but to be frank, you NEED to get on that if you want to be any kind of concept artist, designer, or illustrator.

Your previous design of some boots showed some success for sure, they do look 3D. But I still think it would be a good idea to hit those fundamentals.

I guess my weakness would be cylinder right now since you seem to suggest i can have somewhat success in 3d showing form.I feel like i had trouble finding the right size of the brush to make that glove look somewhat cylindrical the shading like you say is hugging the edge more than it should and doesn't show enough transition i will remind myself to avoid that.

My Sketchbook
One thing that can help if you're not doing it already is to build a separate document with references that you're going to use in your image and place it to the side while you're working. It can help a bit especially if you're unfamiliar with the subject matter or the different material effects that will be present.

I would not recommend adding any photo textures or texture brushes until you've established the lighting and materials with just a simple round/square brush first. Also, I would stay away from pure blacks or grays as it does suck out all of the color in the image and gives it a bit of a muddy look.

Quick example of a reference document: