critique/paintover
I think it's normal for a person to not see all of his flaws. So I want to get your opinions on my strengths and weaknesses. I am currently studying shading(or colors) and anatomy this is the application part of my study. Currently studying how light hits the torso but I cant figure it out hoping someone can give me some points to help me learn it faster. 

The light is coming from top right. Also want a very dramatic feel so I want to use the darkest shade of my 2b pencil.

Attached Files Image(s)

Don't be shy and message me if you have any questions.
You are missing a spacial coordination you say top right but that doesn't tell us front or back we kind have to assume if you don't tell use of course here we can feel it by estimating the amount of contrast between the plane of your object.

So it probably more like front top right but then we look at the shoulder and we aren't so sure anymore because both of them receive light how is that possible if the light is exactly top right like you say... clearly indicating the light source direction to people who you seek critic from is not a bad idea.Right now your light seem to come from the center front bottom when we look at how dark you made the trapezoid.If i want to be more precise i could also indicate left or right of the person if the light isn't centered but at an angle from the character.

Your problem is you have problem understanding how to understand light because you don't understand how light behave on simple object.It serve me nothing to point you those error light is very directional if you can't guess where light hit or doesn't you need to pick easier subject matter.You gotta learn to observe even before you learn to draw.Learning is a process of step from simple to complex in my opinion.If you go to complex you overwhelm yourself if you go to simple you don't learn a thing it about finding the right amount of challenge when studying.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Cool! I think you could probably get the shadows darker than that. Especially if you make the pencil really sharp, then it should be more effective. The thing is the more value you use in the light, the less bright the lighting is going to feel because then the shadow and light have less contrast to each other. So on that note I would try to be more subtle with the shading used to define each muscle. You're going kinda heavy with the arms.

[attachment=125685 Wrote:prince0-100 pid='134509' dateline='1655878087']
[quote="darktiste" pid="134498" dateline="1655822426"]
You are missing a spacial coordination you say top right but that doesn't tell us front or back we kind have to assume if you don't tell use of course here we can feel it by estimating the amount of contrast between the plane of your object.

So it probably more like front top right but then we look at the shoulder and we aren't so sure anymore because both of them receive light how is that possible if the light is exactly top right like you say... clearly indicating the light source direction to people who you seek critic from is not a bad idea.Right now your light seem to come from the center front bottom when we look at how dark you made the trapezoid.If i want to be more precise i could also indicate left or right of the person if the light isn't centered but at an angle from the character.

Your problem is you have problem understanding how to understand light because you don't understand how light behave on simple object. It serve me nothing to point you those error light is very directional if you can't guess where light hit or doesn't you need to pick easier subject matter.You gotta learn to observe even before you learn to draw.Learning is a process of step from simple to complex in my opinion.If you go to complex you overwhelm yourself if you go to simple you don't learn a thing it about finding the right amount of challenge when studying.

Yeah the light is on the back but not far back and its on the characters side. And it looks like there is also a light coming from the bottom that is because I have a hard time figuring out how does the light hits those. Here is dave rapoza drawing of dd these is the lighting I'd like to replicate or transfer on my character(from imagination).

Ahh I guess I really need to learn first on how to shade primitives right?

Attached Files Image(s)

You don't have to limit yourself to primitive you can also do some organic but you should probably start with primitive and move toward more organic drawing such as those provide in this example.

The picture is the reference i suppose i think you made the mistake of interpret a costume into the value of the skin which is just leak of observation here.It make more sense that a latex surface behave the way it does.The problem is that it impossible to tell that your character is wearing a costume yet because we don't see any separation between the skin and the costume.We can spot a helmet but we have no way to tell if it skin or latex because we don't see any logo like in the reference for example which help us understand that it a costume also here we can see it goes over is face and we can see a portion of skin showing comfirming that those are two separate material which mean they behave differently under a light source.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
(06-23-2022, 12:51 AM)darktiste Wrote: You don't have to limit yourself to primitive you can also do some organic but you should probably start with primitive and move toward more organic drawing such as those provide in this example.

The picture is the reference i suppose i think you made the mistake of interpret a costume into the value of the skin which is just leak of observation here.It make more sense that a latex surface behave the way it does.The problem is that it impossible to tell that your character is wearing a costume yet because we don't see any separation between the skin and the costume.We can spot a helmet but we have no way to tell if it skin or latex because we don't see any logo like in the reference for example which help us understand that it a costume also  here we can see it goes over is face and we can see a portion of skin showing comfirming that those are two separate material which mean they behave differently under a light source.

Yeah I think I captured some of the latex texture. The character is shirtless like spartans. 

Also is the shading on dave rapoza already some sort of style? And I should not imitate it and I need to learn the shading style that comes natural to me?

As anyone you will have to do a good deal of copying.But i suggest starting with one person that motivate you to draw.Because i think it just give you that little extra boost to sit down and get down to business.But as any artist as you progress you should be expanding your source of inspiration but not limit yourself to what other can do but by thinking outside the box and mixing style to create newer one.

My Sketchbook
I was quite happy with the look I think I achieved the dramatic or cinematic effect that I am aiming for but I have a hard time defining the muscle I think it got lost in the dark.
The thing too is that my scanner is removing a lot of the dark value so the darks is actually a bit darker than the photo.