Ando Commando's Sketch book
hey all!

gonna get this started with a painting i did about seven months ago.

[Image: 546_large.jpg]

And also a recent sharpie sketch i did of katsumoto from the last samurai.
[Image: 500_large.jpg]

[Image: anatomystudy1.png]
hey dude, i think you should put you tablet in the corner of your room and draw a lot from life and imagination ! You lack of structure in your drawings, and photoshop won't help you to improve right now !! Just spend all your time drawing, and in a few months, get back to painting, and even your painting skills will improve from your drawing skills, believe me ! Anyway, will follow your improvment, so keep it up ^^
(03-14-2013, 07:24 PM)kikindaface Wrote: hey dude, i think you should put you tablet in the corner of your room and draw a lot from life and imagination ! You lack of structure in your drawings, and photoshop won't help you to improve right now !! Just spend all your time drawing, and in a few months, get back to painting, and even your painting skills will improve from your drawing skills, believe me ! Anyway, will follow your improvment, so keep it up ^^

are there any good exercises that i could do?

very quick lion sketch i did last night to cool down
[Image: lionsketch.jpg]

a guy worked on for a bit yesterday
[Image: fighterdude2.jpg]

got this idea from sickbrush's live stream today.
i have had a problem trying to "complete" teh one thing i was working on adn focusing too much on detail instead of working on the overall image first then moving to detail. all i did was to try and not spend too much time on one head and try to let the shape kinda define itself. this was really fun to just "let loose" and not worry that something might not turn out the way you want it.

[Image: creatureSK.jpg]

Sup man, thanks for the comment! Nice looking shape sketches in your last post, that's an exercise I'd like to try.
I agree with kikindaface, I think if you took some time to draw from life and observation it would really help your work from imagination (btw, props on not being afraid to foreshorten the poses you make up from your head)
One really great exercise would be to set up a still life with simple objects and draw it for 30-60 minutes, then leave the setup and draw it again from your memory as closely as you can. Doing studies of shots from movies you like is really popular too, and I've learned a lot from doing thumbnail-sized studies of the composition of pieces I like.

Best of luck to ya, keep posting!
(03-28-2013, 06:52 AM)Samszym Wrote: Sup man, thanks for the comment! Nice looking shape sketches in your last post, that's an exercise I'd like to try.
I agree with kikindaface, I think if you took some time to draw from life and observation it would really help your work from imagination (btw, props on not being afraid to foreshorten the poses you make up from your head)
One really great exercise would be to set up a still life with simple objects and draw it for 30-60 minutes, then leave the setup and draw it again from your memory as closely as you can. Doing studies of shots from movies you like is really popular too, and I've learned a lot from doing thumbnail-sized studies of the composition of pieces I like.

Best of luck to ya, keep posting!

hey thanks man appreciate the feedback :) thanks for the exercise ideas as well! i need to try a find more time in the day, everyone seems to need me! haha. i will do some of those and post them up here when i get them done. in the meantime, here is aself prtrait i am working on :P
WIP
[Image: ScreenShot2013-03-28at124609AM.png]

[Image: 863_large.jpg]
Finished my self portrait! I could touch it up forever but for now im just going to leave it.

this took me maybe around 10-11 hours...

Nice sp! If you do another I suggest you work a little more to get a better photo; this one looks like it might be a bit blurry and the overcast light doesn't explain the forms of your face too well, I think harder light like direct sunlight would have been better. Oh, and maybe try to get a 3/4 view to show some dimension, front views of faces are haaaard.
Nice work on the sp itself, I can see a lot of work went into it.
(03-30-2013, 09:55 AM)Samszym Wrote: Nice sp! If you do another I suggest you work a little more to get a better photo; this one looks like it might be a bit blurry and the overcast light doesn't explain the forms of your face too well, I think harder light like direct sunlight would have been better. Oh, and maybe try to get a 3/4 view to show some dimension, front views of faces are haaaard.
Nice work on the sp itself, I can see a lot of work went into it.

thanks for the crit :) yeah its blur can be explained due to it being an instagram photo :P lol
i will keep your suggestions in mind for my next portrait piece. thanks again!

Hi :)
This is a really good start. I've read comments about drawing from life- yes ,you should do that,but you don't have to necessarily forget about your tablet. You can for example make sketches on paper,and than try to make them in digital,and see what you are lacking,and what should be fixed. Also , try to do more photo studies so you can understand values and color more.
And remember to have fun :)
Keep up with good work.

CD dA FM  MaL
(03-30-2013, 08:30 PM)Toxicpanda Wrote: Hi :)
This is a really good start. I've read comments about drawing from life- yes ,you should do that,but you don't have to necessarily forget about your tablet. You can for example make sketches on paper,and than try to make them in digital,and see what you are lacking,and what should be fixed. Also , try to do more photo studies so you can understand values and color more.
And remember to have fun :)
Keep up with good work.

thanks! Actually, doing this sp has got me pretty excited to do more photo studies. cant wait to post more!

quick robb study/sketch...
ugh, gotta keep working :P
[Image: robb.jpg]

Really cool stuff! I would recommend to do more value studies like you did the last one, it will help you define the depth and shape much better. Try to spend a little more time on each one! Keep on the good work!
-Dom

Some quick anatomy studies.

Been inactive for awhile but im doing a morning get together with my friends where i can have someone hold me accountable and get shit done haha
going to uploading daily sketches
[Image: 20130717_094858.jpg]

morning sketchs

[Image: 20130718_100440.jpg]
[Image: 20130718_100503.jpg]

[Image: 20130719_103651.jpg]

[Image: 20130721_134646.jpg]
cowboys vs space sharks. a little thing im working on

I'd like to see this shark and cowboy stuff rendered! Cool work man!