smrrfette's Odyssey
//BenFlores - indeedums haha, thanks Ben :D
//Egbu - eeeeh, I wish, Egbu! My brain has been especially confuzzled after finishing this last piece, but ty ^ ^
//pnate - too sweet of you pnate! Yeeeaaa, gotta work smart 4 lyf haha D:
//Fedodika - LOL <3 oh you! gotta check out what you've been up to Fedodididididkaka
//Cyprinus - D: I love critz doe. haha but srsly, thanks Cyprinus!

Hai guys, I failed bad on this piece over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over x 100 000. .... 00 ..... 00

But I tell you, it's a DAMN GOOD FEELING. The amount of problems I solved was ridiculous. I'm sure this'll help in the future. Hahaha and to think I used to be afraid of fixing problems in a piece aueuahuheuae.
I mean, it's still not 100% complete (seeing as I set a deadline for tonight), and I'm slow as fcuk (which I'm going to work on from now on, you know - speeding up - if my body allows for it etc).
But yas.
Here's this bitch:

Aaaaand my scanner's still broke, so no sketches yet :/ uhhh.

Fail grayscale to colour (not thinking of internal structure)

Another grayscale to colour bleh

Hum hum hum.
I plan to post more frequently on CD again come next week. Lately I've barely been home - helping friends with errands and whatnot, family etc.
So hopefully I can do that.

P.s. I haven't studied in yoooonkssss O_O can't wait! Gonna paint the shit out of skin and skulls and hands and yo mom and aaaaah ~
:)

'til next time o/
Night daggers!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Killer progress being made since my last visit. It's insane.

Hope the arm is doing alright, it can be a bitch to deal with. I've got similar problems with my shoulder and arm as well. I've found doing stretches can really help. Really, there's some awsome progress here. :DD

//Archereux - wow thanks man ^ ^ yeah the problem is a pain in the neck (literally lol) but I'm getting by now, I think the break has really helped. I need to swing by your sketchy soon :D

//Fedodika - meheheh. I need to think more >:

Thanks for dropping in doods :D

couple of thangs, le go, le go!

unfinished crap - some from a while ago, some recent that I plan on finishing

warmup today

quick colour study and apply D:

EDI's da bomb

Anyway, that's it for now, having Yum Cha with the papa. Hopefully I can get more work done by the end of todayayay!

Laters daggers <3

P.s. SCANNER, Y U STILL BROKE?! Cfed93e2

sketchbook | pg 52

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Kickass study of EDI! And lots of hard work from you, I hope everything is ok with your health now.
So much leveling up since the first post it'd make Tim the enchanter blow some stuff up. Keep posting please!

Hey Smrrfette!
Sorry I haven't dropped by earlier and said anything. Rest assured I have been following you like a troll in the shadows, peeking into your creative universe whenever I've had the chance.
I have to admit, I kinda(totally did) cried when reading about your arm/neck. You've been a big inspiration to me the entirety of your stay here at CD! Kicking my butt into gear and showing me what a determined human can do in a short time. You're awesome!

Bunch of cool sketches, seems like you leveled up in secret while you were gone. That fish guy from the page before is so rad, showing great improvement in soft and hard edges, seems so natural! It has my favorite analogue colors too :P

Don't know if you've checked out any gumroad videos, but definitely go and watch Anthony jones' painting with confidence! Feels like the technique presented there would complement you. It helped me atleast!
Here is a link, scroll down a bit!
https://gumroad.com/robotpencil

Have a greaaat oneee mate!

//Bjulvar - Awh, Bjulvarvavrvarva c': you really are too kind! I don't even know what to say! Oooooh although, I bought dat AJ tute straight away after reading your reply and BAM! I owe you one (and then some) for sure! The way he teaches just clicks with me. Bloody awesome, thanks for suggesting the tute x 100 and of course for dropping by and refueling my momentuuuuum!
//rafa zanchetin - thanks you mr. zanchetin :D! aaah, definitely recovering, albeit slowly ~
hahahaha and will do!
//Fedodika - hahahahaha I can't even deal <3

Thanks for coming by guys :D !

Here's some things,

Woo! I love failing-! Especially with using hard round and flat round brushes :) oh and brush pens!

Some warmup sketches in PS (Irysa from Defiance <3 <3). Familiarising myself with the hard round for sketching. The goal of course is to take control of every tool in PS and not let it control me! #nofear

Studiesss

Brush pen scribbles... I love failing at using this because it's so fuuuun ;D

refless

refless

I've also been setting a timer on my studies and sketches thanks to AJ's tutes. I always thought about doing it, but never realised how easy it could be just using an online stopwatch app!
So here's a bunch of fails!

30mins

Flat brush colour study set to 30mins

Thinking of taking this idea further, even though the challenge ended like friggin' years ago:

Well, you know, after the Windmaker Bloodsport I need to work on

This was a sketch a did after watching AJ's tute:

^ less than 2hrs
*fist pump*

My current goal is to get faster at painting, hence the time limits I've started to set myself since the last finished piece I completed took a LUDICROUS amount of time. I promised myself that won't ever happen again. My other goals are to complete more finished pieces, imaginative sketches and challenges.

And lastly, face any fear with teh lulz.

Night daggers, 'til next time o/

sketchbook | pg 52

Great sketchbook. First time I've seen your work (I think), can't believe I missed it before.

So many cool things going on, really cool stylish work. :)

The wildman is cool, keep goiiing!

I see that IFX anatomy book studies sneaking in. That shit is the bomb!
Your skin colours are pretty damn good too.
If you get the chance, go to a life drawing class. Or watch your brother in the shower. What ever gets you able to see a male back so that you can observe some of those landmarks that you have studied in the IFX stuff. I found that I lost memory of what I learnt super quick if I didn't go and see if I could see it on a real live human. Pictures didnt really do it for me because of how many lumps and bumps there are, I needed to see the back moving in order to understand which of the landmarks a certain form was, because I was really surprised how some of them just disappear and some are never there at all.

Looking forward to the next meet :D
P.S. That brush pen is damn hard to use. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME! D:

P.P.S. I was joking about watching your brother in the shower. You sicko.

//Jaik - oohh yus, IFX ftw! I need to study a lot more from it though :[ and agreed, I should stop stinging out on life drawing classes... I feel what little anatomy knowledge I once had slipping through my fingers ;_; . definitely looking forward to ze next one (whenever that is :D)

P.s. Mwahahaha, you will learn to lav et. and caress et. like a babeh.

P.p.s. hahahaha you bastard, Jaik! I choked on my water when I read this bit XD

//Mannyhaatz - thanks, Man! up, up and awaaaay (and then down... and up and..~~)

//Craig Paton - awh, cheers Craig! Means a lot 0: and lol I wish I had some stylish shiz up in here D: not yet - I feel, anyways.

You guys are the best, daggers FTW!

A couple of things I haven't swept under the rug over this month. And some luls.
always luls.

colour speed paint 15min

value to colour orc chick sketch bleep.

mega fails sketch

how2value2colour? sketch. omfg. I need to study

found this guy from ages ago. lul no comment. :D

thumbs for CHoW version 1

thumbs 2

thumbs 3 > trashed idea

studies for CHoW v2 approx. 20-30mins ea.

lines for CHoW v2

values for CHoW v2 > trashed

Final CHoW version (post refinement)

Overall, I'm feeling eeeeeeehh... about my 1st CHoW. I'm over the moon that I completed it even after I kept starting over and losing my momentum. I just... know I could have done more. And thus, I'm excited for CHoW #2 :D
I want to get better! It's been aaaages since I've felt this kind of fire from within. This time, I've just gotta make sure not to kill myself doing so :D

aaaand portrait studies before bed tonight:

Need to apply these asap!

Have some pencil stuff somewhere too... man, I feel like drawiing anything and everything tomorrow...
But, ugh. I need to find that balance between study, personal and all that junk as well (w/o killing myself)
Much to do... o__o

sketchbook | pg 52

I think I can agree that since I last came here, you've improved ten-fold.
That character for ChoW is really a big jump forward!

I would say though, to watch your edges.
The soft brush technique is good for helping to get a good start, but it tends to be too slippery.
Your eye doesn't necessarily stay put on the piece.
Try maybe using a texture pass as your base and then paint on top of that.
Here's a cool video about it on FZD that might help:

Hope all is well, and have a good one :)

LE SKETCHYBOOK ~ BLOGGY
There is usually more on my blog...

GIVE A CRIT, GET A CRIT!
Delicious updates - great to see you rawking again. I hope your neck is doing fine, mine is hurting because I`m headbanging to your chow.
SMRRRFOTTTEEE HAHAHAHAH HWEEHWEEHWEEEhEHEHEHEH!!!! hEEEHouASUASKASIO LOL hAHAHAHAHA I LUVV U HAHAHAHA!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT KICKIN BOTTIAYT SOON WHEN I GET BACK YEAA~!~!!!!!

Well hi thar smrfette :0 nice to see you're still kicking ass.
I agree with Mat, there's all these soft edges everywhere! It might be cool to try tiling and painting with solid, flat shapes with no gradation or softness to shake up your style

Great to see you back with some painterly edges no less, loving the sketch you did after watching AJs tut. Keep pushing :).

//JonHop - thank you Jon :) haha yeah full of bliss when I painted that, need to hold onto that feeling when I paint in the future!

//Samszym - hey you! oh yes I agree, I've been so sloppy with my edge control, ugh D: I gtta think and studyyyy, thank you for the feedback Sam, much appreciated - and for stopping by ofc :D

//Fedodika - LOOOOOOOOOOOOL oh you, friggin' Fedodika you! :D can't wait for you to get regulaaaar again dood! I need my ass kicked in skin tones and shit <3

//constructicon - omg, contructicon that's too sweet of ya! hahaha thank you kindly though! - always on the hunt to improve my set up, but getting there. :)

//matkaminski - oh my, thank you mat! and thank you very muchly for the crits!! It's greatly appreciated and I will definitely work on my edge control ^ ^ . ohh, I remember watching that FZD vid back in 2013, I'll be reviewing it in the near-future for sure
cheers again!

Man you guys are too kind! Thank you all for dropping by + the feedback! Let's keep working smart! 088

Not a lot, been reading articles and
stuff.

I'm really trying to learn how to paint from value to colour. I'm more of a drawer than a painter anyway and besides... can't have a great painting without spot on values right?
So a couple of studies...

Still life fail. Been so long I forgot how quickly the sun pisses off, especially so early in the morning. I need to do more (read: valuable) observation studies-!

Uuuuugh. Gotta practiseeeeee!!!

Sketch after dinner. I don't even.

What am I and who am I? u_u

'til next time

o/

sketchbook | pg 52

Paint FRUIT and COFFEE MUGS!!! those big shapes force you to nail those gradients!! Good studies on that face, i like the texture :). Keep bangin that stuff out fast it makes ya focus!! ;p

Ohhhhhh shiit

So much stuff.. Alright, where to begin. I do like where you are going with all this. I think you could probably benefit from some more form stuff (we all can, lets face it) get some 3D renders and just try to really nail the form of each simple object. This will mostly help with your value sketches and also bringing them to colour, since in my opinion taking something to colour either involves overpainting it all again, or having super forms like Anthony Jones...

For your thumbs, I would recommend bouncing around with some higher contrast values - get some black up in that biznitch just to keep them reading on the page. And as always silhouette is super important (also super hard to spell if you dont know how, thank you spell checker.)

Keep up the good work :D Shall I be seeing you on Sunday?