ABANDONED HIDEOUT
I made two characters, one for request and one for myself, I tried to have patience and finish the most of them. I really had a bad time with proportions, redoing it all along, but I like the light of the last. I'm trying to studying Sargent and Rembrandt in traditional/graphite, but I had no photos of them now.

I don't know why I couldn't post this as attachments but
http://ca--s.deviantart.com/art/High-Pri...-527120040 link of the first

And the second's in attchment.

Caisne, it's inspiring to see how you made your portrait. I almost bite my fingers out trying to solve problems inside my characters face (proportions, colours and stuff).

Attached Files Image(s)

@cas_m welcome man, thx for posting. ill see if I can help with a quick pain over fro you tonight. Got to go for a job now.

Thx for the kind feeback, Jeso.

Another Sargent study from this morning stream.

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: 9Ub0RHm.png]

Also, some WIP stuff

[Image: WevgKza.png]

did a quick paint over for the firs you did. Cause it seeme d like you had a harder time with it. Try to keep an eye on your proportions, and think about how form goes. For example the rope with a deco flower on her waist. ins straight when it should make oval around the cilindrical shape of the body. Also check your values putting black saturation leyers on top of all layers when working with color. Right now your image look overall the same value wise, and it makes it flat. it good to have stuff pop in and out of shadow.eye gets bored from not seeing contrast

Attached Files Image(s)

Night oils

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks a lot Caisne! I saved your comment and the paint over, I'll try redoing her in another pose with your tips, and improve the b&w values for the next one.

This is some of my graphite studies:

Attached Files Image(s)

^ Youre welcome man, and nice graphite.

Another Sargent study from the morning stream.

Attached Files Image(s)

Learned a TON from this will do more of these crits are welcome so i can add them to my future pieces.

One more Sargent study

Attached Files Image(s)

Did a 30 Mins speedpaint at night

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, I've been working a painting (http://euroginart.deviantart.com/art/Pai...1431205164) , but am getting stuck. Its my first colored piece so I was experimenting I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the painting and wanted someone's input, its not supposed to be realistic but there is definitely something wrong.

Here is what I think is wrong:
Since I added values after I put colors down I messed up the values.
I did not have a specific light source so the objects look funny and lastly I think I didn't have my values placed correctly(value composition of page) so there was no focus.

Just wanted to see if you guys thought the same thing, it is very ruff so Im not looking at specifics(of rendering). I want to do the next painting in value then colorize it but I've heard that's bad, any advice for valueing than colorizing?
@Eurogin Hey man you pretty much nailed the issue yourself. To not mess up the values always check if it works by putting the 100% black Saturation layer on top of everything.turning it on and off will desaturate your stuff to black and white and you will notice your fuckups hopefully. Lightening is very important when making an environment piece. I suggest applying light at the sketch phase as it affects the final result tremendously. Theres also major perspective and compositional issues with your piece, right now it looks like uncomfortable place to be at.

If you see the issues - fix it. Don't leave fuckups on your piece intentionally. not pushing yourself as far as you can = not learning. sometimes if a piece doesn't work its easier to just start over the trying to invent a bicycle.

Do your best man, try to push it as far as possible. and me, or someone else will help you with a paint over then.

Hello Hideout, ive been a long time member of this forum and a even longer time lucker, i realised i need to stop having conversations with my cat and start joining in and stop shutting myself off. So hello :) love what im seeing in this group and Caisne you are a truly great dude. thankyou

Here's two things i did today while catching up on podcasts

[Image: portrait%20scribbles1_zpsiklkzpxe.png]

[Image: Nest%20Characters_zpsbhmv2v4s.png]

I hope this is ok?, i was sure if you just posted your stuff or if i need to do something else before i post.

(05-10-2015, 06:21 PM)Caisne Wrote: @Eurogin Hey man you pretty much nailed the issue yourself. To not mess up the values always check if it works by putting the 100% black Saturation layer on top of everything.turning it on and off will desaturate your stuff to black and white and you will notice your fuckups hopefully. Lightening is very important when making an environment piece. I suggest applying light at the sketch phase as it affects the final result tremendously. Theres also major perspective and compositional issues with your piece, right now it looks like uncomfortable place to be at.

If you see the issues - fix it. Don't leave fuckups on your piece intentionally. not pushing yourself as far as you can = not learning. sometimes if a piece doesn't work its easier to just start over the trying to invent a bicycle.

Do your best man, try to push it as far as possible. and me, or someone else will help you with a paint over then.

Hey thanks, you're right I think I was noodling at the end because of the screw ups(lighting) and prob. should of restarted. I notice the perspective mess ups now but I can't see the major composition problems because I've been working on this piece for too long it looks normal in my mind but not to others.
Do you mind just mentioning a few of the compositional elements that were incorrect? I know the focus of the lighting is off(ratio of lighting to dark) but I don't want to go onto the next piece without knowing what else is wrong with this one. Thanks
@rainbowsorknives hey man thx for joining, make yourself comfortable! You did it right, Keep Posting your stuff, help people if you see a problem with their work. We love seeing personal stuff, and its awesome that you posted some of your sketches, love the design of a second one. Put more effort, show finished work and somebody will help you out with the crits and good advice. keep it up

@Eurogin Right now i just feel that eye wanders around, and got nothing to be hooked by. You need to emphasize your point of interest by leading an eye with abstract shapes to it, or showing it off with contrast. Also thing about where in the frame your point of interest is located. check out this rule of thirds, itll help you out http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds/

Studies from this morning

Attached Files Image(s)

Speedpaint for ash maiden theme

Attached Files Image(s)

Bones from this morning study stream

Attached Files Image(s)

Speedpaint on nowhere safe to land theme

Attached Files Image(s)

Did a colour pass at this guy and a flip, feel like i need to do a set
[Image: Gorilla%20ritualist_zps7lt0acwv.png]