Become Pretty Good At Drawing And Rendering The Human Figure
Monthly Review - September 2016

What Worked Well
  1. Working on a full illustration same as last month - I learned and re-learned many things.  Definitely worth while.
  2. Taking part in the Informal September Crucible - I got some really useful feedback that I can take away and digest.
  3. Watched a number of Gum Road tutorial videos (from Anthony Jones, Walent and Juma Jurabaev) that were really educational and inspirational.  The good thing about these Gum Road tutorials is that you can completely study at your own pace and within your own budget.

What Didn't Work Well
  1. Going to bed too late again.  This month I will try to mitigate this by telling myself it'll work out better in the long run if I look after my health and get enough sleep.
  2. Watching too many Gum Road tutorials all at once.  This was a case of information overload.  There were so many great techniques to experiment with but trying them all at once de-railed me somewhat and I was producing stuff that wasn't as good as I expected and this had a bad effect on my morale.  Gotta take it a bit slower and only study one tutorial at a time!

Tasks Completed This Month (September 2016)

Do 1 completed character illustration each month [5 hours estimated] [6 hours so far 28Sep2016].
Carry an A6 sketchbook and do some sketches for fun whenever I get the chance [4 hours estimated] [2 hours so far 28Sep2016].
Do at least 1 full body human figure sketch from imagination every day for the whole month [5 hours estimated] [2 hours so far 28Sep2016].
Study the Anatomy section in the Hampton book [6 hours estimated] [3 hours so far 28Sep2016].
Do at least 1 master painting study a month [2 hours estimated] [Not started].
Practicing sketching on my mobile phone [not estimated] [3 hours actual].

Metrics For This Month (September 2016)
Estimated Hours = 22 hours
Actual Hours = 16 hours
Actual Monthly Work Velocity = 16 hours/month.

Priorities For Next Month
  1. Continue learning to sketch figures with Values.
  2. Study the drawing heads section of the Hampton book.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Messages In This Thread
RE: Become Pretty Good At Drawing And Rendering The Human Figure - by Artloader - 10-02-2016, 07:29 AM