Dave's sketchbook *ass kicking and love making*
So here we go my sketchbook of turds. Ive recently discoverd that what Ive been studying for years has relatively no weight seeing as i was studying for the sake of studying and saying im doing something lol. But im heading in the right direction now (hopefully) trying to apply what im learning and studying the shit thats actually relevant to what I want to do (concept art, illustration..) just like mostly all aspiring artist nowadays. Mabe someday after my well deserved ass kicking my turds will be more polished and golden!!

Anyways heres some stuff ive been studying for the past month to start this thing off with and more recently some for golden boy that ill post later. Tooons of improvement needed but taking it one step at a time :)

(WARNING: I really want to study the fundamentals and get some sort of graps on it before i start with the cool stuff. this sketcbook for the most part will contain no candy for your eye itll feel more like broken shards of glass (at least thats how it feels when I look at it). Enter at your own risk.

Please feel free to join in on the ass kicking and love making

some anatomy studies, some memory stuff, some sketches trying to apply what i learn and a stupid character for a cghub contest.

*He who says he can and he who says he cant are usually both correct*
blog
sketchbook
deviantart
Can definitely see you applying the studies in that last piece, and it really paid off. Nice work. Looking forward to seeing more man. Keep it up.

thanks man really been focusing on application who knows mabe if i do it long enough itll be automatic to apply what im studying still need a lot of work though but hey if what your studying looks too good your not studying the right things right cheers!

blog
sketchbook
deviantart
Wow man that last character is awesome!

Take care.
Thanks I notice the breast are way off may go back in and fix it need more anatomy practice

blog
sketchbook
deviantart
Nice stuff, Pirate lady and the dude with the bloody wraps around his face are pretty cool. Look's like your doing good so far, keep it up with your studies!

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

Jonesoda: thanks dude i definitely will you as well my friend I went browsing through your sketcbook and i can def see the improvement never quit bro!

Hey guys its good to see so many studies and people pushing themselves in here keep going everyone. It really cool I think to know a group of people that take what they do as seriously as the daggers. I realized everyone doesnt think this way kuz i made the mistake of trying to explain why all i do is study to a couple of my buddies and its kinda frustrating when they dont get the fact that you have a goal and you wont let anyone or thing stop you from taking it. kuz life is all about drinking, partying, and bitches right..

Still working on anatomy
a couple anatomy studies, gestures, some application, some still life.....a few tears, some zelda fan art of tingle and david jr. for the forge on cghub, and some random stupid character scribbles wasnt really focused on the character as much as I was trying to apply what Ive learned from torso studies (stupid i know). I started this side challenge for myself this month to try to do 100 torso 100 arms and legs and 100 hands and feet..Ill post those soon not much to see really but Im trying to pound it in my brain amap so ya

blog
sketchbook
deviantart
Its all going well here, I really like the amount of studies, good job. That pirate chick is off the wall.

iCi: thanks dude

more anatomy, armor study and applied with armor dude

blog
sketchbook
deviantart
Great start man, you seem to be hittin them studies hard! Your imagination characters already seem prity solid, but keep heading the way you are and i predict awesomeness. Keep up the studies dude! Can't really crit because you seem to have everything under control, perhaps just push your contrast between light and darks abit more. Stay sharp dude.

thanks dude i see what you mean will def be working on that, lol i have no idea what im doing at all but have to keep pushing right ill get there some day.

blog
sketchbook
deviantart
great to see you are so into studies right now! keep pushing these out and dont forget to apply what you learn every once and a while! keep it up!
Good construction studies David, keep those up!
kevin- thanks dude I def will. study, understand, apply!

Dennis- thanks i suck at my antomy so thats what im putting a focus on for now got a long way to go before i see it paying off

blog
sketchbook
deviantart
More anatomy from ref from memory some random sketches, lots of failure.....and love making
I feel like im doing too much of the same shit though if anyone has any study suggestions for anatomy go ahead i want to keep switching it up and continue learning and hopefully retaining as much info as i can

blog
sketchbook
deviantart
Nice sketchbook you have going here, be mindful of your edges though, think about where you want a hard edge or a soft edge, it will really bring your images into focus.

Hope to see more, keep pushing!

hey Thanks for checking out my sb man and will do thats on my long list of things I need to study and get better at :)

blog
sketchbook
deviantart
Hey guys love seeing the amount of progress throughout keep it up everyone good things are happen when you have a goal and stick to it no matter what, seeing a ton of improvement!

So im still working on anatomy its a bitch and I keep wanting to move on to something else but damn personally I dont feel right studying value if i dont understand structure, or going at lighting when i dont understand value..etc. Its hard for me to study 3 things at once, kuz Im putting an emphasis on RETAINING what I am learning. So I started thinking about ways i can better understand and retain information and how I learned everything else I know like in school math english blah blah.. and I figured I learn a lot better and faster i guess when Im focused on one thing first and master it or at least understand it, and then move on to something else that kinda builds upon what I learned previously. That way i think ill be able to retain a lot better kuz Im forced to think about what I studied last month to improve on what im studying this month this sort of deal. Also repetition, repetition,repetition. It kinda made sense to me that when I didnt understand math, I had to study it and study it, and do the same scenario and mathematical equations over and over and over and over....and over, and thats how I learned. Once i understood the WHY and not the HOW, I moved on to a little harder math that challenged different aspects and points, and built on what I learned before, but had I not understood the previous, I woulnt get a full grasp of the following. Its like trying to run before I can walk. I learned through looking at examples, studying the examples, figuring out how x came to equal 10 in the examples and applying it to the problems in the book. (im just using math as an example kuz thats what I struggled with in school, I understand math and art are two different subjects, but for me the learning process is similar). idk if im correct in this conclusion or what but it makes sense to me and i drew kind of a parallel in learning math and learning art. But ya Idk if this is new to any of you, I know Im late to this revelation but ive been working on art the same way in hopes that Ill understand what I take in a little better. Idk what do you guys think? Let me know if you agree, disagree, or dont understand what im saying. I know everyone has different ways of learning and retaining information but i wanted to share this just in case this is clear to someone else who mabe doesnt know how to go about studying. Keep up the good work everyone!

Some studiiiiiies

Personal sketch I want to finish still working on applying anatomy

a doodle for shits

blog
sketchbook
deviantart
nice studies man, really cool. maybe push the armor one a bit more, looks promising :)

cheers,
flo

Please help me getting better by checking out my sketchbook

HOMEPAGE http://floart.weebly.com
Hey David, I think you got the right idea on your approach to learning, as long as you keep applying what you study (like you already are) you will continue to improve. Understand the WHY and HOW. Good work man, keep pushin.