Anatomy of a Pinup - Class Closed
Hi Toma,
sorry to hear about your flu..yes, we had a small session for an hour..Raz is about to start working on colors now.
I'll be available on Saturdays for the session (same time) so, let me know 'in advance' if anyone wants to show an update or talk about it..like i said earlier, we will try to complete the pinups by this month, i really want to see all of your pinups as a finished artworks..hope you guys can make it..please let me know if anyone of you need more time.
you can post your replies here in this thread.

So I just found out about this excellent class and decided to join in. I have allready made some of the assignments and am continuing to move forward. I realise that im joining in way way late, but hey, practice is practice! :)

Here is some of the stuff i've made so far for this class. Gonna continue to do the rest as well:

[Image: 66mcmr.jpg]

[Image: 15nrpuh.jpg]

[Image: wbykuh.jpg]

[Image: 34hamtk.jpg]

[Image: aoaq2h.jpg]

[Image: 16iveog.jpg]
Did some more rendering and tried some colors :

Uuuuugh! Sorry guys but this post sucks for me. Dunno what is going on, no matter what I try with this paint I just can't make it look good. I must be off or something - all the stuff I do inbetween on breaks comes out ok!? So calling it quits for tonight and posting as is.
Shyam, definitely goona need some of your sprinkle magic tomorrow.
It'll be nice to reconect with you guys, see where everyone's at.

Razvan, knockin em down like bowling buddy - nice work!

Attached Files Image(s)

Ok so first off:

Shyam, truly sorry, I didn't realise that your last post ment we should have messaged you in advance that we'd be at class this morning/night. Razvan and I hung out for a bit and talked about our pieces.

Second: I have had a HARD time getting this piece where I want it. That said, did some quick thumbnails this morning, got extra reference for the face, and here's where I'm at -

1. Changed lighting, little more from right side then just behind - as originaly intended.
2. Focused on some rendering, while re-working design elements as per some of your paint over suggestions - making the suit design a little more pleasing/feminin
3. Re-worked the face to a point where I think at least she can be considered beatifull, attempted to have at least a little concern on her face for her expression (You could say she's a cross between Adell & Megan Fox based on my reference)
4. Went back to some of my original sketches as I thought my work was loosing what I liked/had captured in my initial ideation - so provided two versions of the work as it stands (the second having the pose adjusted)
5. Also provided the slight variations in the face that lead up to the current version - just in case people think I coul dgo in a different direction for the face

So am at the computer the rest of today, and likely all day tomorrow - big push on this and on trying to complete at least one entry for Spectrum submissions ... we'll see :P

I'll post more updates as I make significat changes. I'm likely to do some rough colour thumbs tomorrow, I'd rather not render out to much, leaving me room to add rendering while in colour.

Aight back to it! - comment & crits away!

Attached Files Image(s)

that's ok, we will have session on this saturday..meanwhile I'll try to do some paintover on both of your artworks.
Raz - which one is your favorite ?
Toma- i think its better to show her hair to have more feminine feel..will try both versions.

I hope others can find some time to post their updates and/or attend the next session on 26th Jan. 2013

I chose the 3rd one. This version is my final and I'm gonna do some more minor tweeks at it if necessary.

Alright then, overall looks ok but, still there are some issues...as i mentioned in my earlier comment, will do the paintover on it and you can do the tweaks if you like.

Ok - as per Shyam's suggestion!

Here's a line up of nine potential hair styles. It might be difficult to guage which is actualy best without seeing them in the context of the entire comp - but I figured better to see what the top three choices are and then repost in complete image.

But also because in spending time on this image, I started to play a little (late night dope!) and came up with an interesting - all be it pscyhadelic - option for this one. Might allow me to more easily make her sensual verses the original pose/context.

Waddah guys think?

Attached Files Image(s)

#6 & #7 looks cool..so you want to show her floating in the space? if the light source is from behind and if its 'that' bright then you might need to think about the lighting on the figure.

(01-22-2013, 03:21 PM)shyamshriram Wrote: #6 & #7 looks cool..so you want to show her floating in the space? if the light source is from behind and if its 'that' bright then you might need to think about the lighting on the figure.

Well it was a thought - but I'd like your opinion on this, cause so far I think my subject matter is not so close to a successful pin up. And yes, lighting will have to change - wasn't sure how I wanted to deal with this yet - like I said, took a LATE night trip on this one!

Ok, 6 & 7 eh!? I'll post up full comps with each, rendered out a little more - maybe take her frown away like Razvan suggested

Thanks Shyam!
well, its your call but if you ask me then i would say, go with the previous version..the overall composition was looking good, you can do the new concept too but again, you will have to start from scratch..just my two cents.

(01-22-2013, 04:49 PM)shyamshriram Wrote: well, its your call but if you ask me then i would say, go with the previous version..the overall composition was looking good, you can do the new concept too but again, you will have to start from scratch..just my two cents.

Ok - roger that! Am on it - anymore "feminising" of the suit do you think?
i think it's looking good enough..maybe you can try to incorporate some different material/texture to add more interest in the suit.

a gentle reminder, we are having a session tomorrow[26th jan.) at the usual time.
Deepak, Matt, Chris - i would love to know about your updates.

Oh yeah Shyam forgot to ask - which of the two poses I posted earlier do you prefer - legs apart legs together?

working away will post a few hours before class ...

Ok here she is so far

Attached Files Image(s)

the first one, that legs apart one looks like a bit odd/fake..it looks as if shes holding that pose just for photo or something like that, it doesn't look natural.

Ok great - gottah go to bed - I'm dying, it's 3 in the morning! I be here for class without fail.
here is the paintover from last night..and one more version, just wanted to try some different lighting.

Nice. I had a feeling you wanted that golden hour look :).