Assignment 4 (wip)

7 hrs.
[Image: Yokowip2.jpg]

early process - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=319UDUOXnww

i've lost my interest in her after 8 hrs :/

[Image: YokoFinal.jpg]

http://youtu.be/eo6cs9M64BM

Hey Shyam,

You've already done great on that study! Wow!!

I found some more images of the Thor Girl and wanted to know if these might be alright to pick from?
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-sn...6935_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-as...1556_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-pr...0951_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-pr...4486_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-pr...3620_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-sn...4498_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-as...4591_n.jpg
Some of those don't show the whole body? Is that alright? Or should I go for the ones which have a bit more??

Available for Freelance - Portfolio | CD Sketchbook | Blog | Email
thanks Chris, still a long way to go :)
yea, i've seen all these and posted few poses already but didn't post few of them as they were not full..please try to paint full figures.

Hey everyone! :D

I've been lurking this thread for a while, and decided to join in some mentorships (I'll be doing like 4 ou 5 mentorships, so my posting will be slow ones, haha)

All this mentorship program is something I really need: having someone telling me what to study or paint. In between all the mentorships, I also will be applying the studies in personal pieces (already begun one after the Master studies)

So here's my assignments for now:

[Image: 28.10.12.+skulls.jpg]

[Image: 02_11_12_faces_comp_by_mateusrocha-d5k47au.jpg]

[Image: 02.11.12+the+shepperdess.jpg]

Shyam - bloody awesome start! Thanks for the process vids - super helpful, nice to see this before I start.

so below is the list I made for myself - elaborated a little (Shyam let me know if anything in here is off/misunderstood):

With painting studies - keep these in mind while working!

1. Edges
-hard edge vs. soft edge vs. lost edge ... THINK ABOUT IT!
-make sure to include soft edges around outline of various body parts (head, arms, legs) when they are silhouetted against the background. Hard edges makes these look unreal and pop unnaturally
-light wraps around the 3D form, and doesn't just drop off the face of an edge. As such, soft edges should represent this wrap around, with darker colours/tones when light is indirect, or with brighter colours/tones when light is more direct. With rim lights the colour should match the colour of the light (more often than not) and otherwise the edge colour should interact appropriately with the material it is next to (as with slightly saturated colours next to skin tones)

2. Values
-be careful with value ranges on elements like eyes/eye lashes/eye brows & lips/nose - when the value contrast is too high, or doesn't transition with a softer edge, these elements seem to pop or separate from the image - again creating an unnatural feel to the overall image.
-value ranges don't often span across allot of contrast (from very dark to very light) Identify the appropriate areas for using very dark or very light. Often based on light (type & angle) and edges that come together or overlap - corner of mouth or crook of elbow for example
-when working in colour - be sure to check values regularly - easy way is to have a black layer set to saturation above all layers, can easily turn this on and off to check

3. Light, Colour & Surfaces
-skin tone varies in colour, but certain colours can be used with certain areas. Nose/nostrils, lip corners and eyelids/creases all will have more apparent blood flow, and with light/subsurface scattering will show warm saturated colours - like reds, oranges and pinks. This also can hold true for fingers, ears, and in general areas that show more blood flow (as with cheeks with some people)
-areas with wear will often be darker, as with elbows and knees
-when ever light creates shadows in areas that have more subsurface scattering, make use of actual colours versus dark tones that play within black and brown
-white is rarely ever white, and should be reserved for extreme highlights or certain materials. More often than not the highlight takes on the local colour (as with the whites of the eyes) or the colour of the light (specially with rim lighting)
-remember that the most saturated area in lighting takes place around the terminator

4. Augmented Reality
-be careful of grey tones within skin colours. As a general rule always augment the colour or saturation to mimic the "feeling" of warmth and life depicted by the subject
-add/augment things like colours in shadows, more saturation in colours or some light highlights to describe form more to re-create the feeling of the subject, and to help bring depth/3dimension to the piece

.... so here's the pic I chose, and the quick line sketch - now to a full day moving this forward! ... update - rough line sketch completed!

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for sharing an in-depth info Toma, cant thank you enough !
glad you found my process video helpful, will try my best to post the final study in a day or two.

ok, about this assignment..its a very important one and its going to be very useful for our final product, spend at least 10-15 hrs on this study, dont just copy the picture..try to enhance it, but dont go too wild.
i've loads of expectation from all of you, we might spend more time on this one if necessary.

Great work here everyone ! I love this course so much !! ^_^ I wish I could join this.
I've learnt so many important things here. Awesome knowledge! thank you so much for sharing.
Hey guys!
That study is coming out great Shyam !
Thanks for sharing that analysis Toma!
Here is my wip.Face looks awful for now.

Some more progress on the study:

Final for the stream :

Final one:

Hey Raz,
great ref. & good start..just concentrate on the figure first, check her face..it looks too thin in your study.

This is definitely one of the more difficult weeks. I decided on this photo of the Thor girl because she had better pose than the one of her against the tree... that said her face on this one was so like difficult to capture!!!!!! Her eyes look so bad! Capturing likeness from a photo is just so hard.

Also I'm doing as you said to and starting off in black and white. I am almost ready to convert to color. Which also will be super hard. What a great week haha, you just keep challenging me shyam. Thanks man :]

[Image: compared.png]

I was also considering kinda desaturating my version because of how blown out the colors are on the original... not sure yet.

(11-08-2012, 03:22 PM)Feohria Wrote: Great work here everyone ! I love this course so much !! ^_^ I wish I could join this.
I've learnt so many important things here. Awesome knowledge! thank you so much for sharing.

well love the work you're doing in Sam's mentorship Feohria - looks like you guys are having a fun time too!

Ok so updated the work as of now - blocked in the colours and made sure to check tonal values (missing some of the darker ones and some areas need tweeking - decided to focus playing with the colours and then do another pass where I adjust colours for value)
Now going to move on, change brushes and start fixing likeness proportion problems, tonal problems, and really dig in on the detailed work with the colours.
Now's the time for crits if anyone wants to jump in!
Working on this again later today all night as well as tomorrow all day/night - let's dig in!

@ zesiul - just crazy man, I think that likeness is pretty damn close! can't wait to see how the colour's gonna be! Agreed - this is quite the challenge!
Wink 
Here's my latest update. This does take time and patience, about another 8 hours to go on this one today.

The process on this one: trying to bend colours while ...
1. Flipping sat layer on/off to watch for values
2. Flipping the photo on/off to compare likeness and adjust as I go along
3. Play with choice of colour, saturation of colour, to bring out the feeling of the picture
4. Defining edges based on light and subject colour - working to identify appropriate soft edging
5. Watching the subtle interplay of a variety of lights - warm sun, reflected blue sky, warm bounce lights and subsurface scaterring through different materials (man that skirt is a pain!)

Crits comments always welcome!
(gottah work on her squinty face :P)

Attached Files Image(s)

Oh, great! Everyone's doing really well!

@eizOga: Still digging your loose brushwork!
@zesiul: I so know that problem. It takes me ages to get the likeness right. I think the problem is, that the features don't quite line up in perspective. Her nose and lips face to the screens right side, whereas her eyes are placed in a way that would face to the left. But I'm just nitpicking in case you want to go for perfect likeness.

Unfortunately I won't be able to finish my study. Gotta finish some freelance work first :(
Spent too much time on the face. The nose didn't want to look the way I wanted :) And I chose a reference that was way to small... I should have known better D:

good going everyone, see you soon.
i've posted my final study & video.

mateusrocha : thanks for posting mate..looking forward to see more updates !
Nele : nice start, do post the final study if you work on it in future.

Taking My time with this one. 7 hrs already through. Trying to finish more till the class begins.

@eizOga: Thanks for the class summation Toma. Really really helpful. I will try to keep everything in mind for this assignment.
@Nele: Its coming out great as always.
@Zesiul: Man what can I say.. you have made a fanboy really happy :P. Great job!
@razvan: good work mate!

Ok here is my Final image. total time about 12 hrs. The detail on latex was a big pain in the ass.

Hey guys! Really awesome studies, looks like we're all paying close attention to proportions and negative space! I really pushed myself to nail the proportions with lines first and before moving to colour and value. Still working on it up to the class and more after!

It's been difficult this week what with being in London and travelling home and then travelling between my parents to visit everyone! It's a wonder I've got this done but I'll be staying in one place next week so it'll be catch up time!

Again I'm really sorry for not being able to post earlier in the week and be more involved with mid week crits on this thread. I'll make it up I promise :D

I ran a bit late and haven't really finished it yet. Going to polish it up some more after the class, and of course finish the background.

Bleh, moving on!
[Image: Thor_Girl_NoMore.png]

Assignment 5 is updated in the first post of the thread, good luck everyone !

Can i still join this study or are you guys pretty much done
yes, you can join us at anytime and post your studies here !