Bjulvar's Sketchbook
Spitpainting a magical book

Stepping out of my comfort zone again

Yeah, kick that comfort zone in the groin! The building and the environment are looking nice in terms of value but maybe you should try and get more ~designy~ with those. Rocks (and nature in general) can take some crazy shapes and it makes for some great usage of artistic license to push the composition further. And I really like the colors you pick whenever some magic thingie is involved; maybe try using some stronger colors there aswell? Magic not required ahah.

And what can I say about the character design? It's damn good, that's what it is. (would love to see some more detailed rendering though :C)

Keep rocking weird weapon/nostringguitarthings in the undead realm... Oh, and happy new year!

Love how the Christmas dwarf turned out. Kinda looks like he'll snuff you if you interrupt his workflow. The braids, the upside down candy cane, the toy making weaponry...all awesome!

Sketchbook

Nice amount of artworks, love the dwarf illustration, pensketches are looking mighty fine aswell.

Bemota
Yeah, gotta do that more this year. Time to really get better! Thank you man, I'm such a coward when I study things that I rarely change around stuff in it. I guess I have to take more freedom with studies. Or atleast play around more when I apply it.
Got an idea now to use stone references to create golem-like characters! That way I'll learn how to render stone and still have fun :P
Haha yeah I could introduce those colors without having magic. Glad you like it!

You're too kind man. It's what I love doing! You'll definitely see more fleshed out characters this year, somthing I have been wanting to do for ages.

It's magic, doesn't need to make sense! :D He should have a followup piece with a diffrent instrument! Happy new year man! Thanks for the comment :)

Tygerson
Yay thanks, now I'm validated! He'll snuff you, but in a child-friendly manner. Like making you eat too much candy! Haha didn't even think about the upside down candy cane, christmas heretic :P
Thanks Tygerson!

crackedskull
Thank you man, I'm glad that it's pleasing! :D

More comfortzone slaying. I'm noticing that the old hard vs soft edges is appearing again when I'm doing environments. I don't know if it's because of the scale of the scenes or if it's something I just have to practice more. Anyways, here's a Ziggurat and an application of yesterdays desertlandscape with hints of the zigguratstudy in it. Trying to get the most of my studies.

And a smuggler portrait for a boardgame. It's rough, but that's because it's going to be awesomely small on the card D:

i see so much improvement just in page 21 alone. keep it up dude!
BenFlores
Thanks a bunch man! That means a lot :D

Witch hunter spitpainting

Mountain study

Played around with concepts today

And I've started a new illustration. Really want to finish this one!

cool stuff man! I like the design of the last dude, put hours on it, would look great finished. :)

Blewzen
Thank you man! That gives me the courage to continue on! I hate forgetting pieces! :P

Will post some studies and stuff later. Mostly played around with traditional and Zbrush today. Hard program to learn damnit.
Here's a little design that I might include in the illustration.

Bery nice Patrik. Dose colors mmmmhhh

bemota
Thank you berrry much! I'm sensing a color theme on this page!

Continued a bit on another warlord

Painted a Jaime Jones study. Been wanting to paint this for a while now, got reminded when I saw it in Crackedskull's sketchbook!

Started out as a spitpainting of a dark castle thingie. But I couldn't abandon it after 30 mins. Wanted to try out having a building there, since it's another weakness. It came out okay, but it doesn't feeeeeeel, it just doesn't feeel!

Remember kids, you should always save your sculpt as a tool in Zbrush, otherwise you end up with a pretty picture. LIke this one. I'll use it as a reference or something.

Kargaaaaath! What a badass!

Been awhile since my last visit and things are looking great, dude! Keep up the work. As a suggestion, maybe try experimenting with color dodge on some of your magical effects. It can really add a lot to them! Keep it up : )!

Oh wow, that last orc is fucking great man. Do I sense a new avatar image?

Cool characters like the crystal guy and the zbrush scuplt. you have a lot of quick studies, would recommend doing a longer one to focus on pushing the quality and refine on things like materials and textures, along with some details and refining shapes.

Damn mate! That orc, seing some great lighting and value improvement there, and he also looks very badass like, but I guess you might get some of that for free since he is an orc after all.
You still make me wanna paint those echanted armors lol xD Guess I'll get right on it.

And the Jaime study, spend a bit more time on it i'll say, surely, one shouldn't render all studies just so they look good in a sketchbook or something, but that one piece feels like you could get some great render practice out of, try to make it look like the original ;D

Haha i just did a jaime jones study too.. wonder if he thinks is weird everyone studies his stuff lol...

Good work, that orc looks bad arse. We still gotta do the still lifes soon man! :D hit me up with a message and we will try and plan something out :)

Woot hey guys, such lovely comments! I really appreciate your words!

atrenr
The badest badass of them all! Almost, except for Blackhand. Can't wait for that guy to pop up on my canvas!
Thanks man, I appreciate you coming back to check stuff out! :D
I'll try it out a bit more, I've been mostly using soft light and hiiints of dodge. But I guess I could accentuate it more. :)

bemota
Thanks maan! Definitely when I finish it. If I don't paint anything cooler in the meanwhile at least!

Jamesxwu
Thank you! Yeah I agree. I guess I'm in a quantity over quality marathon right now. Will be more aware of it now and see if I can find something worthwhile to spend time on. Maybe another masterstudy?

Adzerak
Hurray, I'm glad that it shows some improvement! Yeah orcs are always cool no matter how you paint them. Free badass points!
Really happy about that man, I'll get on another one then!

Not sure if I'll continue on this one, I felt that what I did right now gave me enough insight from this session. But I'll see if I can spend some more time on the next study that I do, since James kinda suggested the same thing!
I understand what you're saying though! So thanks man :)

Jaik
Haha I'm sure he's really flattered or really mopy about it! I'll head over and check out yours then :D So we're actually already studying the same thing haha.

Thanks a bunch man! We should, need to have as much going on as possible! :D Yeah I will!

Armored Boar spitpainting, used some reference

Beardstudy! Still trying to paint with harder and softer brushes

Portraitstudy

King of dead beards, little sketchy thingie

Late night sketching, hadn't painted all day and had a nice headache. I usually paint dead stuff then.

I started an environment and really liked the composition when I began. But it's faded after a while and I've lost the drive to continue. Not sure if it's good or bad to do so though. Should probably push myself more with it.

The underdog, boardgame thing!

Another WiP shot of the necromancer piece, pretty happy with it so far. I love it when I'm really eager to spend time painting on it. If only that was the case for every piece :P

Fffffffuck. Soo much work. You are a beast and I feel kinda overwhelmed. I know it's my fault, I should visit more often but you know. Life got in the way =p. Love your quick sketches and loose approach to painting. However it would be cool to see something more polished here and there. You know just to keep your mind challenged. Anyway you're killing it. Keep it up ;)

I see you are indeed rocking this early in 2014!
That orc with the red lights is awesome, i particularly like it, it has a solid structure and lightning.
Also yeah! Zbrush, makes me want to start learning that myself, maybe in the future.
Oh and your last wip, your composition have improved a lot, the movement and naturality of the characters aswell. Now like ramalooke says, i really want to see something really polished.

You do so much personal work its great! Finding the right balance between personal work and studies is so difficult sometimes, and I dont think it is a definite ratio that works for everyone.
I will message you in the coming weeks about the spoons... Theres only one question left, would you like to be the big spoon, or the little spoon? :P