Cj Marsh Sketchbook
ok more stuff today realized I am really fucking bad at eyes I did a photo study for an hour then I did one from memory of the same picture....I am sure you can tell which is what, did some more figures and then tried a different design with the tribe lady.

Attached Files Image(s)

more figures and started a study of Galadriel. Really trying to nail this painting thing. Need to get better going to try and do a life study sometime this week. That is my goal for this week, and do more traditional sketching.

Attached Files Image(s)

More figures and more on my study, I have come to find out I am actually not analyzing my studies like I should be, there fore all I am really doing is copying the pictures, so I am trying to actually learn from the paintings I am doing. I have been doing some loomis head studies in my sketchbook at work and am trying to look at this study in terms of the planes of the face so I did a quick paint over of the picture to try and understand the lighting. I will need to do some value and planes studies to try and understand more of it all. But I feel like I have had my eyes closed and now finally opening them. Only more good things to come!

Attached Files Image(s)

didnt get alot done today day job is kicking my butt trying to push though.

Attached Files Image(s)

keep flippin dat canvas, and watch the size of those eyes, because the face gets emphasis over the body, and the eyes get emphasis over the face, its just how we see as humans, everyone when they start out draws eyes too big, draw them smaller than you think and darker than you think and it'll probably turn out better for you.

Jaik- Yea I really should use my flip hot key more often and I will try that I will have to do some eye studies I think maybe try breaking faces down into areas and do studies of each area.

Unfortunately this is all I will be able to get done today, I really need to get better so I dont need this bullshit 2nd shift job its turning into a 3rd shift job and I am spending more time there than I am at home and not getting enough hours into my art im lucky if I get 1 hour a day some times...oh well enough complaining from me pushing through it.

slacked off this weekend not going to lie but will hit it hard this week, here is a little work in progress of my next piece.

Attached Files Image(s)

some more figures from today and did a little more with ivy need to work on her legs a bit more I think, having fun with this one!

Attached Files Image(s)

more stuff hitting it hard again tomorrow been a rough few days/weeks

Keep up the anatomy practice! I wanna suggest something that has really helped me with anatomy, which is skinless muscle studies. It really helped me to to know how it looks with skin by knowing what was under it!

Thanks man! Yea I try to do some of those in my sketchbook at work need to do it more though I have been slacking while I have been at my day job. Will try and get some more focus on those plus my mom just started going to school and got this really sweet anatomy book with cadavers and stuff in it so I may borrow it when shes not using it :P

worked on my Galadriel some more I tried to really REALLY pick it apart I feel like it may have been easier if I just started over from scratch, but I feel like its taking a better shape now. Need to do more studies!!!!

More on my Poison Ivy really having fun with this and learning alot now, just not too sure what to do with the background..

More studies I need to work harder!!

Attached Files Image(s)

and a value study I will be doing more of these also trying a different layout with my studies.

more on my leeloo study really hate this day job bs, but pushing through trying to move forward

Attached Files Image(s)

thats the spirit, also why you start painting with soft brushes? It would be easier if you block the shapes and everything with hard brushes and then, you work on the edges.
take a look at this tutorial from Andantonius to see what i mean: http://andantonius.deviantart.com/galler...9#/d596pyp

thanks Ed yea im not sure I guess the soft brush is my "crutch" I keep going back to it trying to kick the habbit. Ill check it out when I get some free time!

New stuff doing the sickbrush class starting off with the heads dont got all of them yet but here is what I have, finished leeloo study and a dragon piece i am working on.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey guys so i am in a funk as of late just need to do a little rant, my day job has been affecting me, its a crappy warehouse job and everyday I hate it more and more. But enough complaining I have my goals I want nothing more than to become a successful concept artist. Its like an itch that I can't scratch, and I just want to get there, but it takes time and I am willing to put in the hours. Sometimes everything just feels a little overwhelming, I cant blame only my job, I blame myself. I have alot of these bursts of energy and determination and go full force then its like I hit a wall. But I need to push through it need to break through these walls and keep up the momentum. I feel like I am sooo close to some sort of breakthrough and I can just feel like good things will be coming soon, even though everything seems crappy and some days I doubt myself, but I remember that life throws bad at you and you just need to take each hit and pick yourself up and fight back. I have my plan that I am trying to stick too and I am going full force with renewed energy with this yet again and the next time I hit a wall I plan on just going right through the bastard and keep going. No more walls will keep me down and I will push as hard as ever before and I WILL reach my goals I refuse to do anything else. This is my passion and my love, to live one day where I can say I love what I do and I am a concept artist is the goal I wish to achieve, I dont have a dream studio or project to work for, my dream is to do what I love and make that my job. Where I am now with my life is a dark murky tunnel and right now I can see a dim glowing light, my journey is far from over but I plan on pushing harder, and getting to where I want to go. I am willing to do what it takes and I WILL succeed one day, I will settle for nothing less. Anyways thats all for my rant it felt a little good to get this out and just vent. If anyone who reads this is in a similar position in their life I just want to let you know you are not the only one and remember everyone starts somewhere and pushing yourself is a task all in it own and never give up on your dreams, I know too many people who had the potential to do great things and now squander it and do nothing. But thanks to everyone who knows the struggle and is kind enough to share, and one day I will see everyone at the end of the tunnel.

side note small update I have a bunch of traditional sketches I need to upload.

So I finally quit my day job to pursue getting better, I am pretty excited this is just a small post of the larger ones to come I am pretty pumped! Something I started on presidents day and just finally finished, only a little ref was used for the original sketch then rest was all from head, was trying to see how things look and with little to no ref try and re create them.