Elderscrollers Sketchy Stuff
@Archreaux:

Thanks! Maybe I´ll bring some of the stuff here to a finished version. For now, they just stay sketches :)

Here is a color sketch with some more modern touch to "The Wizard of Oz". I´m not too happy about it. Tried to "technicolor" my painting for a slight old film look, but I feel it is too saturated and I don´t like my rendering here. It´s supposed to be somewhat stylized, but it looks too cartoonish in my eyes

Some sketches trying to design a half-dragon, but I ditched the whole design, as it was too stale and I didn´t like that armor and took a whole other direction :) I might upload that once it is finished.

Fast speedpainting from today´s concepteez sketchathon:

Wow Really good ketchbook dude! :)

Some small update after a longer online break:

Nice sketchbook man! Keep pushing :D

If you want to try it out, you can try putting a slightly thicker/darker line around the biggest masses on your sketch (the "outlines"), it makes it very readable and nice :) Just a suggestion! I love the way youre pushing perspective in them, that really helps with depth!

@ Ursula Dorada: Thanks! I know what you mean with line weight. Sometimes I try to take care about that, sometimes in sketches I´m just too lazy :)

Here are some more sketches. First row are some doodles and sketches to gather ideas for a weapon sheet. Second row, I´m gathering ideas for a "Wizard of Oz gone evil" painting. The first girl is not good at all. Too stiff. Don´t like it, but at least sometimes, I post stuff, I don´t like. I´m learning and I think/hope someone else might learn something from my learning progress and fails :)
The second girl turned out nice in my eyes. I tried to give her an innocent, naive and sexy look, but add an element of not so naive/innocent. The final character will of course be clothed. just tried to figure out posture and anatomy

Sketching on. Some ok stuff with some crappy :) I don´t know what it is with anatomy. Sometimes I kind of get a decent pose and sometimes it just doesn´t work and ends up stiff...

love your sketches and am envious of the bodies you draw.
In my imagination a Dorothee would look a bit sweeter - your character seems to be in a bad mood. that innocent looking nude girl looks adorable!

@ Wolkenfels: Thanks very much, but don´t be envious, I still need to learn a lot :)

Some more traditional stuff with some quick digital sketches:

Ha, cool thing you're trying facial expressions! Adds quite some depth to the faces. But I notice the majority of your heads tend to be in that look-left-down dircetion, maybe try to get some different angles?

(02-19-2013, 12:31 AM)Elderscroller Wrote: Sketching on. Some ok stuff with some crappy :) I don´t know what it is with anatomy. Sometimes I kind of get a decent pose and sometimes it just doesn´t work and ends up stiff...

I'm totally there with you :) But what I find helpful is to think about what the person is actually doing. Apart from "I want her standing and turning to the right" maybe that she is reaching for something she wants to have etc. And sometimes it helps me to imagine that pose as just a snapshot of a movement, so all the bodyparts have a reason for being at the place they are, apart from an aesthetic choice. Well, I don't know if that makes sense, but maybe you know what I want to say :)
Anyway, I actually just wanted to congratulate you on your first place over at gnomon, you really deserved it! Have a nice time sketching and painting!

(03-13-2013, 05:25 PM)foxflake Wrote: Ha, cool thing you're trying facial expressions! Adds quite some depth to the faces. But I notice the majority of your heads tend to be in that look-left-down dircetion, maybe try to get some different angles?

(02-19-2013, 12:31 AM)Elderscroller Wrote: Sketching on. Some ok stuff with some crappy :) I don´t know what it is with anatomy. Sometimes I kind of get a decent pose and sometimes it just doesn´t work and ends up stiff...

I'm totally there with you :) But what I find helpful is to think about what the person is actually doing. Apart from "I want her standing and turning to the right" maybe that she is reaching for something she wants to have etc. And sometimes it helps me to imagine that pose as just a snapshot of a movement, so all the bodyparts have a reason for being at the place they are, apart from an aesthetic choice. Well, I don't know if that makes sense, but maybe you know what I want to say :)
Anyway, I actually just wanted to congratulate you on your first place over at gnomon, you really deserved it! Have a nice time sketching and painting!

Thanks Foxflake, I actually never thought I´d win something there :) !
Facial expressions is really fun to do. In the past I shyed away from that, because they seemed so complicated to get right. But actually, they are not, there are just some basic rules :)
You are right, I should practise more different angles, I stay in my comfort zone too much!

It really helps to imagine what your character does or is about to do. That is also one of my flaws, I jump into a pose just for the sake of a pose, no purpose attached. One thing I found for myself: I always tended to start with the head in a figure drawing. At least for me, it works better starting with the ribcage! The figure kind of flows better for me, when I do that.

Some different head angles. Need to practice more foreshortening...