Tyger sketches
For this, I got the basic facial proportions from a mirror, then did the shading mostly based on my frontal planes of the face studies. I tried to adjust the shading to fit the features.

Original study:

I've also been studying leg anatomy so that I can fix up that design sketch.

Sketchbook

I like the 4th design best, but all her bling blings are on her upper body and it feels unbalanced. I think some more around her ankle could help balance the details out.

Also the dark rim is because those faces are turned more away from the light, and they look like only rims because the faces beneath them are faced towards the light, so they bounced some light back onto the turned-away faces to slightly light them back up. If your head thing was not white but gray, it won't be as obvious, I'm thinking. Try using an easily washed off paint like water color, and paint dark color on the faces beneath the black-rimmed faces, and see if the black-rim effect is still strong, and you'll have your answer. Where'd you get a head model like that?

Focus.
Nice update.

Just did a really quick paintover on that last portrait you did. Its easier to demonstrate that way. Keep in mind things like pupils, corners of the mouth, cavity of hair below the ear and nostrils will, as a general rule, always be fairly dark compared to the rest of the image. Pupils 99% of the time are always the darkest black on the image. Using this as a reference point for the dark boundary you can see that the darker shadow plane of the cheek as lacking in value and by adding this, mostly above and blow the eye, you can add a lot more depth to the image.

Hope this helps

Attached Files Image(s)

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4...l#pid57061

Heres the post to the bloodsports revamp we are doing if you would like to join/more info :)

nice application of the study to that last portrait. if it helps any, try to separate midtones and shadows a bit more. i see huge improvement!
@Jaik Thanks for the paintover, Jaik! Really helpful! I did some fixes based on it.

@meat Agreed, thanks! I'll mess with the design more.

@BenFlores Thanks, I'll try to do that!

And here's another plane study. I tried really hard to make it look solid.

Ref:

http://fyeah-artreferences.tumblr.com/po...wnload-all

Sketchbook

Yet another head study. I'm really trying to figure out what makes stuff look solid. Here I was paying attention to the gradients within the planes, the borders between planes, and softer vs. harder edges.

Imagination work next, I promise!

Ref: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthr...wJTu4VfSzI
(I used the previous three quarters study for the linework, and just used this ref for values)

Sketchbook

Nice study! Definitely looks solid to me. That's not a quality I think about too much, I guess I'm more used to thinking about creating depth. I'd be inclined to say getting the drawing and construction correct will give you more solidity than nailing the values would, though they're both important of course.
Try to put any overlapping elements that you can into your drawings, it's a great way to add some depth. In your latest study the reference's nose breaks the silhouette of the head, so it's easier to tell it comes forward. I think that might have helped the solidity of your study a bit

Good luck, keep rockin'!

More work on imaginary stuff!

It's going at a glacial pace. I'm quickly learning how little I know about anatomy and costume design! It feels like I accomplish more when I crank out a decent photo study in a few hours, but in the end, the imagination work is why we do art, isn't it?

Next is to come up with a better pose for one of them, and maybe do some thumbnails.

Sketchbook

nice improvement since I was last here, Alot of good head studies and I like how you applied it to the self portrait, don't forget to apply it to imagination work as well though :).

Some recent gestures, watching youtube vids of belly dance. It is so fun! I love seeing the complete motion when doing gestures.

Sketchbook

nice study on the planes of the face there! So, you know that soft edges you written about in dark teal green? Do you know why it is soft?

Realizing what makes for soft edges shadows helped me a great deal, so there :)
nice gestures!

(02-20-2014, 11:49 PM)Ursula Dorada Wrote: nice study on the planes of the face there! So, you know that soft edges you written about in dark teal green? Do you know why it is soft?

Realizing what makes for soft edges shadows helped me a great deal, so there :)
nice gestures!

Okay, you know the answer, but are having me dig it out. Totally respect that. I really had to think about this all day! Hopefully this is correct. I think the edges are soft because it's a cast shadow, and the light isn't a point source.

Theoretically perfect point source = sharp shadow

Disk or other shape source = softer shadow
Shadow gets softer as source gets bigger (but I wasn't up to drawing another diagram for comparison)

I guess you'd also get a sharp shadow from a ginormously wide laser beam in a vacuum, since all the rays are parallel, but that doesn't come up too much in real life.

Sketchbook

Haha sula is making you work for your answers.. Never tried that when giving advice.. probably a better way to do it too.

Nice gestures you have going. And I really like how seriously you went through and studies this to try and get the answer. You got it half right. Distance also plays a part. Most of the time a large light source results in two shadows which overlap, as opposed to a soft shadow. I may have linked this site to you before but http://www.huevaluechroma.com/021.php all of the answers to any light and colour stuff you need is in that site, but it is very technical.

Those plane studies are looking sweet, definetly do some more portraits from memory/imagination so you can sink those planes in!
Keep it up!

Experiment based on Gurney's Color and Light. I created a gamut of colors and then painted from a photo. Life would be better, but we work with what we've got. (In the final, I overlayed some texture that boosted the color a bit.) It worked well enough to try again.

Final test

Sketchbook

Agreeing with Raz there about the applying of the studies and the what not ^^
Nice to see that you're studying different things that are still related to planes. Feels like a nice way to switch it up and broaden your perspective.
Color and Light sure is a sweet book, think it has a nice example of simplifying a rock formation with four different planes. Could be wrong tho, inspiring stuff none the less! Keep at it, yes!

You're right Adzerak, I really need to apply them! Just need to chisel my way out of this art block.

Another gamut experiment. When I took this aircraft carrier photo, it was nearing sunset and the hull and water were brilliant molten gold. Of course, the photo had pasty looking brights--and kinda pink rather than gold. I tried to recreate how I remembered the color. It's closer, but not really there. Had some issues with the cast shadows on the bright side of the ship, too.

Sketchbook

Took the lady in costume, tried out some poses and ended up with her holding a hawk. After lots of shading failures, I tried out some palettes based on Tangled and Frozen. Just to see how people who really know how to color do it. I think I need to think more about local color.

I also played with this awesome gamut tool mentioned on Gurney's site (after trying to work out what the gamut should be): http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2013/0...ndows.html

Sketchbook

Nice studies, love the landscapes!