PACT *Professional Artist-Client Toolkit*
I don't know if I'm breaking any rules, and I didn't see any thread on
this so I decided to post it.

Basically Jim Pavelec along with Todd Lockwood, Randy Gallegos,
Aaron Miller, and Mike Sass decided to take their discussion on the state
of the illustration business, the pay going down, how to communicate with
clients, commission charging, contracts as well as companies who aren't
reliable etc and take it to the next step by trying to start a website featuring
ways to help artists, share info on such matters and help reverse the downward
spiral.

Personally, I think it's very important, and it's great these guys have
taken initiative, most of the older pros, at least in my experience with them,
never talk about these subjects as if it's some kind of covert ops mission,
calling out companies, clients and art directors who were bad, who
undercharged or who wouldn't pay (again as far as I have seen) is
strictly prohibited in various forums etc.

In general, the lack of some unity and sharing of the business side of
the industry, is something companies have taken advantage of and even
us beginners and less prominent artists feel this. This thing may help
reverse the situation.

Check it out, and if you agree, spread the word.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pact-p...kit?c=home
Really enjoyed listening to that and wish I could donate, its in my opinion an excellent idea.

Well even a couple of bucks would help. Spread the the word tho...I'm pasting Randy Gallegos' take on it, so you can see what's involved.

Quote:If you are an illustrator (particularly in the fantasy/sci-fi, gaming, videogame, comics or book publishing industry) or aspire to be, this is for you.

I've spent 19 years working as a professional illustrator (Magic, D&D being among my more notable clients). The sad fact is that, industry-wide, over those 19 years I have in general seen wages freeze--even decline--over that same period. Yes, you read that right: in some cases, wages have fallen over what could be made 19 years ago. In most cases they have simply not improved.

To put that in perspective, a $500 commission in 1994 when I started would need to be $785 in today's dollars to have the same buying power. But that same commission is generally still $500 (or LESS) today. Put another way, that $500 commission today has the same buying power as $318 in 1994. So, if wages haven't increased, then they have de facto fallen.

This is an awful trend for anyone who hopes to one day make a living at illustration.

Art school costs have only increased in that time. Nearly everything else has increased in cost as well. This means your odds of earning a living as an illustrator are falling. Every year.

How has this happened?

Let's face it, companies have no motivation to pay more if they don't have to. That goes for big corporations and even for small start-ups with the best intentions. The "dream" of working in these fields means that mostly younger or just-starting illustrators are tempted to undercut on pricing as a way to get a foot in the door. And even working professionals feel forced to simply take what they can get.

This is the wrong approach for many reasons which could be an entire thread.

Of course, once fees are undercut, there is still the problem of nefarious business practices (late or never-paying clients, clients who request far more copyright than they need and don't themselves understand this). Nefarious business practices could be another entire thread.

What to do? Organize. Not a union: in an international market, that's just not feasable. Rather, what if clients had a known reputation and were ranked by it? What if clients had to compete? Illustrators will always go where the grass is greenest: but where is that grass? Is that new company green grass, or weeds?

We believe that when clients are forced to compete with one another, standards will begin to improve. When artists learn that there are better clients, they will leave to work with those clients. The companies left behind will then have to bump up their standards.

Beyond this, we believe that educating illustrators on business-practices also gives them tools for the fight.

Along with artists Todd Lockwood, Jim Pavelec, Aaron Miller and Mike Sass, we are building this tool: PACT (the Professional Artist-Client Toolkit).

PACT is an inexpensive membership-driven system for rating clients, seeing who the good guys are and learning to beware of the bad guys. Learning best practices and getting industry news.

In my 19 years I have not seen an initiative start up with as good a chance at helping the illustration community lift itself up as PACT is. If it doesn't happen, I don't expect to see another one any time soon, and I expect conditions to continue to decline. This is bad for me, and bad for you.

We've consulted with programmers and lawyers to build this thing right. But programmers and lawyers have not deflated their fees the way illustrators have. So we need your help.

Join us. If you can't join us, then consider grabbing some cool art mostly donated for the cause of raising funds. There's a podcast there from 2012's Illuxcon art event where you can learn more.

Help PACT become a reality.

-Randy Gallegos
just shared it on facebook and going to support it as soon as i get some cash. :)
We need to make this happen.

Keep sharing Eduardo, check out Art PACT on facebook too.
I was just going to post this, I think it's super important and we should all support it, even just 5 bucks. If anyone isn't convinced at least listen to the panel they did.

We definitely need to spread this around. Maybe we can get this stickied or featured on the Crimson Daggers front page or something?

It's just 5$, we can all afford that.

"If you want liberation in this life, there is no area that you do not watch. Watch the breathing, watch the posture, watch the flow of energy, watch the texture of the mind, watch the response to objects." - Namgyal Rinpoche
I just contributed THE BIBLIOPHILE (glorious artbooks! _^_) I hope they can make it real! I wish them the best!

If i get some cash in the next 2 weeks i'll throw in. It all depends on if i land this job i'm going for or not.

Ironically and horribly this problem they are trying to fix is also preventing the solution, artists don't have the cash to spare for the most part :/.

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
Quote:4 DAYS LEFT
Hello everyone.

First off, we would like to thank everyone who has thus far supported this little grass-roots project. From those of you who have believed in our goals enough to commit to memberships, or have purchased larger items or mentoring sessions. And of course all the generous support from the artists who have donated their wares to this fundraising effort. Without you all we would not be where we are today.

Where are we today, anyhow? Well, it's been a long and hard battle to get us to this point. Countless hours by the well-oiled team of 5 volunteer organizers have gotten us to a little over halfway to the goal with only a few days remaining to fund this initiative. At this point things are both hopeful and bleak. There has been a lot of late momentum built and support garnered. The 320+ members we have reached validate the aims of the project. The bleak part is the gap remaining to be crossed with little time remaining. We need everyone's help to reach the goal and create a little island of hope and force for change in this difficult and changing profession.

Thus far a few themes have arisen that should be dealt with here for clarity, for those on the fence. First off, we need to reiterate that PACT is not a business or for-profit venture. As volunteers in this effort, nothing is more deflating than to hear criticism of "get a loan and fund the business yourself," or, "what am I guaranteed to get from this??" On the surface, both seem like valid criticisms. The reality is that the founders of PACT are undertaking this effort completely free and at considerable risk; standing up before (but not against) companies and practices that are harming the industry and its artists. PACT is raising funds to create the infrastructure for a set of initial and evolving tools and dialogue. These include the client rating system, database of contracts, legal advice and newsfeed. These are our initial ideas, and we assume once the "home base" is established, the community will help facilitate and evolve PACT's form and its effectiveness. All the members have unique experience that we NEED as a collective. Everyone who has volunteered their time or product to raise funds deserves respect and the benefit of doubt. Every endeavour will have naysayers for various reasons with various agendas. We understand to some PACT may not seem like your best 29$ investment. In that case, please spend that 29$ on a better career-sustaining tool... and then tell us what that was and where we can get one as well!

Digital technology, globalization, competition, de-regulation and fragmenting of professional structures has created a new world where anyone who produces a product that can be digitized and e-mailed now works in an environment without boundaries or standards. The genie is out of the bottle and we all must find a way to survive in this environment. PACT aims to be a voice in the din of this new era; a place where freelancers can go and not be alone in their struggle to carve out a living as respected professionals. At this point PACT has done almost all it can to get the word out and motivate its members. These last few days are critical to get us to the funding goal, so please support and promote this movent the best you can.

Sincerely,

PACT organizing committee.

The latest on Art PACT. This is in all our favors. Thinking of number one and thinking that all you need to do is "get better" doesn't cut it anymore. All you'll be doing is investing time painting a masterpiece for cumbs...business is business and has nothing to do with your brush stroke quality.

So, let's cut the bullshit, go out one evening less, don't get that bucket of ice cream to fatten your ass, or eat those damn chips...All this project needed is 1551 artists pitching in $29 to fund this...we have more people talking in forums about the new bullshit airbrush they bought or the ultra magic formula paint tube that'll make them awesome, just to ask then how to paint penises...Get your heads together, $29 to help support the profession and the future of your career is nothing...Otherwise, just go sell chewing gum dammit!
agree ^
if this doesnt get funded, well, i believe at some point the industry will hit a critical point and then, maybe people will react.
Like we say in my country, we dont react until we see the ears of the wolf.

(07-16-2013, 11:25 AM)EduardoGaray Wrote: agree ^
if this doesnt get funded, well, i believe at some point the industry will hit a critical point and then, maybe people will react.
Like we say in my country, we dont react until we see the ears of the wolf.

Well said brother!
AAAAND IT IS FUNDED! :D