Sharpened Pencils And The Demons of Procrastination
I will be Talking about the Jaimie jones dragon study

1.the value of background on the left could be redone it to dark
2.the light on the wing
3.the tail is to fat
4.you didnt put any highlight on the tail
5.did you change the dragon head position for fun or challenge ?Because it not the same

tips try to do visual measurement if you dont know that i mean google it .I see that you have probleme getting some angle right this kind of problem will bring also bad proportion.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(11-09-2013, 04:15 AM)darktiste Wrote: I will be Talking about the Jaimie jones dragon study

1.the value of background on the left could be redone it to dark
2.the light on the wing
3.the tail is to fat
4.you didnt put any highlight on the tail
5.did you change the dragon head position for fun or challenge ?Because it not the same

tips try to do visual measurement if you dont know that i mean google it .I see that you have probleme getting some angle right this kind of problem will bring also bad proportion.

thanks for that! I was to lazy to do proper measuring. That study was more about the painterly feel I never achieved earlier. thus the head design change. it was a concious choice to change it to see if I can do something else and still remain in that painterly level of detail.
Thanks for the crit! I will continue to work

(11-09-2013, 03:23 AM)BenFlores Wrote: this sketchbook deserves more love. the values in your pencil work are great and the studies are solid too. definitely apply those studies into your next pieces and more imaginative stuff!

Thanks - I will!

Hey dude, took the liberty to check out your stuff, i like you volume, and i see you practice a lot of human figure, there's some stuff a little off, structure-wise, but i'm sure that you can catch up in no time!

also i really like your paintings and studies!

@Gabriel-H - yeah I know. but I'm adressing the most important flaws of my pieces - step by step. cheers!

Albert Bierstadt study - 12 h

wow - I`m not really in the position of criticising you...I really admire your work though. keep it up.
@constructicon - thanks Man!:)

Ocean wave study-
I really need to do studies of waves more often. that was hard for me. and yet fun, and I learned a lot.
So -more waves to study in the future!

Oh man, I didn't think about waves. I'm sure they are really tough to paint!

Lookin' good though. Do you have the ref? Because I'm just spitballing here, I think it looks mostly volumetric, but the (not sure the actual name for this, but) inner part of the wave... looks like it should have a darker tone to it. Unless maybe the sunlight is really bright? But if that were the case I would assume the entire water would be more shimmery.
Either way, killin' it.

LE SKETCHYBOOK ~ BLOGGY
There is usually more on my blog...

GIVE A CRIT, GET A CRIT!
@matkaminski - If think your refereing to the eye of the wave, I think it's called that way. Heres the refrence pic and study (sorry for double posting)

And here's study form today. 1,5 hours. getting faster at this:)
but the part of the wave on the right - that with bits of foam (in the middle of the picture) gave me an head ache. I really couldn't nailed it and don't know why.

Im depressed. I just did the hardest study in my life.
and It's not even close to beeing ok.

Any crits?

women faces. That's definetely my next objective. Man oh man how did Brad Rigney manage to deliver such a sexy and yet non vulgar expression...

Well, first things first, I would recommend pulling out the basics for studies such as these and making sure that you measure twice so that you only have to draw once.
Start out by making sure that all your axes are lined up. (I tried a little while to make a tutorial for this: http://matkaminski.blogspot.com/2012/10/...tchup.html let me know if that doesn't make sense)
If you follow this method you have the basic outlying lines out of the way. Once you have that, you can actually go back in and quickly fill in the basic shapes: http://www.wikihow.com/Draw-the-Face-of-a-Person

THEN begin to render. Really if you skip the basic steps first, you'll end up with a face that looks squished, or too wide, like you have here.
Regardless, it's a valiant effort, but try and spend some time getting the basics out of the way first and it'll save you time in the long run :)

LE SKETCHYBOOK ~ BLOGGY

GIVE A CRIT, GET A CRIT!
yeah, the basics. One would think that this was in the "basic" level, and I'm not in it anymore. as it occurs it's quite the opposite. obiously the issue is construction, lighting (values), and color - in that order.

the same night I posted this I was so damn frustrated that I've spent 3 hours (went to sleep 4 am) drawing only faces. the results were hidious. As if I forgotten everything I know about the anatomy of the face. everything I know about the construction of the skull and facial muscles just ... evaporated.

so that's my big next goal.
will update tommorrow with some sketches.

I will forge that weakness into strength...

thanks for feedback!

That is a difficult angle of the head to draw from. It looks like you didnt think about the structure of the jaw area in the construction phase. Everything else looks like you have a good understanding of the underlying structures. Maybe do some focused anatomy studies of jaw bones and jaw muscles? Sometimes trying to study every part of the head or every part of the body can be over whelming and make you over look the smaller details. Really great sketch book by the way. You're kicking my ass and making me want to improve!

here are some drawing and pen/pencil studies from last couple of weeks.

some doodles collages

some character sketches

nebezial pose / shadow study

my own hand study

I love you so much for painting post # 25.

It looks phenomenal.

@prabu - heh thanks! more will come!

I haven't updated for too long. Been a little busy, unfortunately with not art related stuff. Not beeing able to draw as often as I could was really hard... well here are my updates.

First time ever painting with traditional medium. I bought some acrylics and wanted to try myself.
That was freightnening but I learnt a lot... I am sure I will do traditional stuff more often.
Also my camera really isn't capturing all of the colors that are in this painting...

a female value study, 1,5 hour

lately I've been participating in speedpainting group on facebook. The rules are: no phototextures, 30 min max, and stick to the subject

witch hunter & charon

next speedpaints

1- "that thing that crawled from the fax machine"
2 -"red mist"
3 - "castle on fire"
4 - "green suit"

lastly a study from a screenshot from a movie ( the mood and atmosphere were the main goals) 43 mins.

...and applying what I've learnt (49 mins)

From now on I will study and immediately apply the knowledge. I remember almost everything.... Wish I would do that earlier...

Nice spitpaints man! Your composing a lot of really cool scenes.

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

(01-16-2014, 12:32 PM)Jonesoda Wrote: Nice spitpaints man! Your composing a lot of really cool scenes.

Thanks !

That applied study at the end is getting there, definite win!

I think you should follow that advice and study, then immediately apply. I should follow that advice myself...

Regardless, kudos to you for acrylic. I cannot for the life of me enjoy acrylics. It just dries too damn fast. If you've never tried it, I highly suggest a go at gouache or watercolor. Gouache is my personal favorite (so far) for traditional mediums.

Anyway, just wanted to throw a piece of encouragement into the pot. DO IT! :)

LE SKETCHYBOOK ~ BLOGGY

GIVE A CRIT, GET A CRIT!
@mattkaminski - Thanks Man!

Yeah I think I read that about immediately applying in one of crimson's sketchbook. Was it @benflores? i think
The amount of information you retain is unbelivable
About the acrylics - well That was an interesting experience and definetely will do it more.

Maybe I will try that guash thing. Cheers!

another mix of spitpaints
1. winged demon
2. upside down face
3. into the marshlands

and a Conan sketch (from imagination ). I know now that skin colors are my weakness.

I will study more