I need some tips for gesture drawings?
Hello, I am Mario and am new on this forum.
I just started doing gesture drawing, and wasn't really sure on how to locate the line of action until I saw this image tutorial that summarizes it all with tom and jerry illustration that I knew how to find the line of action, well at least the gesture drawing that I've done until now - I can say the line of action is probably correct?
But, after finding the line of action and planting in the sticks legs and arms, I can't proceed on to give the figure or the pose that I've drawn volume? And, it's like when I watch videos on youtube on gesture drawing, after drawing the 'stickman' that summarizes the poses, they are able to draw in the flesh of the body and the arms/legs? And, after time is up, it looks similar to the drawings though the lines are messy.
I tried doing that and I screwed up, true there are messy lines, but it either still remain like a stickman or there are only messy lines or when I compare it to the video, theirs and mine gesture drawings are world apart although the line of action are the same, but their have flesh+messy lines and I only have stickman+messy lines?
I know it came to practice when they fill out flesh for those 'stickman' with such speed, but how did they even get started on learning to fill the flesh out for those 'stickman' in the first place?
Thank you for reading!

- Mario
It's mostly a matter of practice, draw until you will feel it. There's no One Right way to achieve this. Learn and draw and with time you will have no problems with gesture drawing.

Rad have posted nice video about drawing (gesture included) http://radhowto.blogspot.com/2013/06/dem...rding.html

The tutorial you are mentioning is probably from this book http://pl.scribd.com/doc/132114965/Prest...-Animation :)

(07-12-2013, 07:44 PM)Marionew Wrote: Hello, I am Mario and am new on this forum.
I just started doing gesture drawing, and wasn't really sure on how to locate the line of action until I saw this image tutorial that summarizes it all with tom and jerry illustration that I knew how to find the line of action, well at least the gesture drawing that I've done until now - I can say the line of action is probably correct?
But, after finding the line of action and planting in the sticks legs and arms, I can't proceed on to give the figure or the pose that I've drawn volume? And, it's like when I watch videos on youtube on gesture drawing, after drawing the 'stickman' that summarizes the poses, they are able to draw in the flesh of the body and the arms/legs? And, after time is up, it looks similar to the drawings though the lines are messy.
I tried doing that and I screwed up, true there are messy lines, but it either still remain like a stickman or there are only messy lines or when I compare it to the video, theirs and mine gesture drawings are world apart although the line of action are the same, but their have flesh+messy lines and I only have stickman+messy lines?
I know it came to practice when they fill out flesh for those 'stickman' with such speed, but how did they even get started on learning to fill the flesh out for those 'stickman' in the first place?
Thank you for reading!

- Mario

I know how to find the line of action, and draw the legs and hands lines, and total of it looks like a stickman. But, I can't fill out the flesh quickly like those people that I've seen drawing on youtube, they can fill out the flesh on the stickman they drew quickly within that one minute. Whereas after I drew the stickman, for the remaining of the time, I can't fill out the flesh and when I tried to do it, it only looks like stickman with messy lines?
Any tutorial on how to fill out the flesh, I know it comes with practice, but how to fill out the flesh on the 'stickman' that I've drew?
They can draw so quickly because they had thousand hours of practice and they draw it automatically. Search for simplified shapes in body spheres, cylinders, cones and draw them on your stickman figure. Sorry there's no shortcuts for it. You have to know anatomy and perspective to draw it correctly.

(07-12-2013, 09:51 PM)Madzia Wrote: They can draw so quickly because they had thousand hours of practice and they draw it automatically. Search for simplified shapes in body spheres, cylinders, cones and draw them on your stickman figure. Sorry there's no shortcuts for it. You have to know anatomy and perspective to draw it correctly.
Wow, I was wondering how they were able to fill the stickman figure, so they used anatomy and perspective etc. Thanks for the tips, dude!
I know they had thousand hours of practice to draw it that well, just wondering how they fill it up, so where do I learn the anatomy to use it on my stick figure?
Post your drawing, with example it would be easier to understand what problem do you have

Proko's tutorial helped me a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...4HR59yFZ7Y