How to gauge your own work?
How do you develop an instinct or get some kind of idea of where your art making ability is at? Is it only in comparison to another artist?

for me basicly i´m at an "Isuck" level until someone would actually pay for my work, then i´ll be at an "Isuckless" level.

My Sketchbook

I shall live forever or die trying.
(07-21-2013, 04:17 AM)vansty Wrote: for me basicly i´m at an "Isuck" level until someone would actually pay for my work, then i´ll be at an "Isuckless" level.

I've seen some terrible work sell (not in reference to you) because it was the commissioner's favorite character or no one else will draw their particular fetish. Doesn't seem like the best benchmark.

yeah, well comparing yourself to other artists works and it really is the only "good" way but you have to be careful about doiing it. it can lead to depression and self doubt.

most people KNOW what their level is but are too afraid to admit it to themselves (happend to me)

My Sketchbook

I shall live forever or die trying.
I think you answered your own question.

Since you can't really quantify art in the same way that you could for, say math (ie being at a grade 9 level versus grade 4 level, for instance) the only way is to compare to other artists.

That being said, its important to know that nobody develops at the same rate, and also that there isn't really a way to measure up to other artists. For example, a lot of Dave Rapoza's work is super detailed and well rendered, but does that make him "better" than someone whose work is more stylized, say someone who does art for kids movies? Or say a company like Riot where a lot of the art is more cartoony?

Not really. Its just different. There is of course a certain amount of technical proficiency that you should strive for, but generally speaking that falls under the realm of clarity rather than ultra detail

(07-21-2013, 06:13 AM)Beardley Wrote: I think you answered your own question.

Since you can't really quantify art in the same way that you could for, say math (ie being at a grade 9 level versus grade 4 level, for instance) the only way is to compare to other artists.

That being said, its important to know that nobody develops at the same rate, and also that there isn't really a way to measure up to other artists. For example, a lot of Dave Rapoza's work is super detailed and well rendered, but does that make him "better" than someone whose work is more stylized, say someone who does art for kids movies? Or say a company like Riot where a lot of the art is more cartoony?

Not really. Its just different. There is of course a certain amount of technical proficiency that you should strive for, but generally speaking that falls under the realm of clarity rather than ultra detail

The best thing you can do is educate yourself. Teach yourself composition, color theory, anatomy. Use reference material on anything and everything, take photos of fabrics, clouds, mountains, everything. Take pictures of your friends or yourself in the needed poses. After a while you will begin to build a visual library and you will find yourself painting faster.

The next step is to use that education and crit yourself based on the fundamentals of composition, color theory etc.... Ask your trusted peers for a crit and remember IT IS NOT PERSONAL, everyone here is on their own art journey. If your composition is good, your color choices harmonize and your anatomy is spot on, chances are you will have a nice piece. Then it is all about your style!

I agree with a lot of what's been said, especially Beardley's point about artists developing at different rates and the STYLES that people work in. There are lots of artists out there who produce work that is super detailed, and those who just do more 'loose' work. Is one better than the other? Of course not, to me it's just what looks good. I can appreciate the time and the skill it's taken someone to produce a highly rendered image just as much as another artist who has nailed a speedpaint which captures a situation or mood perfectly.

For me it's about turning my gaze more on myself and setting milestones. My current ones are getting better at portraits, improving my anatomy and ultimately being able to draw figures and poses from my head. Once I've reached that stage I'll know I've progressed. Then I'll set a new goal, such as studying costumes and weapons so I have a better idea of how to use them to improve my characters.

I know everyone is different, but I find that looking at what I can do right now, rather than what other artists can do (who have got a lot more years study on a beginner or intermediate), is the best way to check my current skill level. Of course I compare myself to the pros, but that's purely to have the 'end' goal in mind. Hope this helped!

Yeah, to be honest the post was made in a moment of weakness. I was just frustrated with the dearth between my taste and actual skill. I actually emailed and old professor, he said "I don't think it's healthy to 'gauge' drawing ability. Just keep working at it."

I think that's best, although it's hard to do, especially when you're not pro. But I've gotten some good perspective from this thread, thanks.

It really important to be self-aware of self-bashing and if you fail do to something the way you want then it also important to see it as a opportunity to do better.
(07-22-2013, 09:20 PM)SundryAddams Wrote: Yeah, to be honest the post was made in a moment of weakness. I was just frustrated with the dearth between my taste and actual skill.

You're referring to this, I assume?

[Image: tumblr_mrdtwp2xFp1s6f7yro1_1280.jpg]

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Something like that, it's still a problem I struggle with. Often I wonder if all this studying is in vain . It all stems from anxiety over whether it's too late for me to be successful, "I should have started at X age." For now I'm just taking it slowly. I'm actually starting at an atelier in less than a month so I'll be putting in the hours soon, right now I just want to relax with art making.

I still don't like my work, but it's on an upswing.

(08-12-2013, 10:20 AM)SundryAddams Wrote: Something like that, it's still a problem I struggle with.

Everyone does.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Psychotime, that is awesome.

Sycra also covers that in this video. It is a pretty interesting way of seeing creativity.

well you need to fight the your own idea you make up for yourself because it a weight that create fear and fear you know it a pain in the a** when you want to achieve something so good luck and remember everyone as there own fear but you have to overcome them or your there slave. Sorry if that harsh

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.