Jh's Sketchbook! Study. Practice! APPLY!
Hey man nice job with the heads so far. I never could figure out how to use that abstraction technique. The lines they use look cool but I never could understand what practical use they had. I think trying to abstract something before you master understanding the head in all its subtle forms is putting the cart before the horse. After you spend a lot of time with constructing the head methodically you'll get faster at it and be able to do quicker heads with less construction lines. I think you should start with skull drawing and work your way up to muscles and finished portraits. Then things will make much more sense and you wont feel unsure about drawing superficial features like the eyes, nose and mouth.

I myself find Reilly abstraction quite useful, but can't tell how it works for learning, I had big experience already and it's helps me now to connect all surfaces on face. I see that often you place eyes to close to each other, remember that distance between eyes should be the length of one eye. Keep working and updating :)