NSFW Pittem October 2013 - today
Showing a bunch of stuff today, to showcase what a decent work day looks like.
Some figures, and trying out portraits again. Taking a picture showed me how terrible they were...
[Image: file.php?id=11677]
[Image: file.php?id=11678]
[Image: file.php?id=11679]

And two WIPs for asura related stuff. Crits welcome before I start painting
[Image: file.php?id=11676]
[Image: file.php?id=11675]

Quick stuff from today. Back to doing traditional Tuesdays.
So some figures, decided to go really big for no real reason, and a first portrait. Kinda rusty, looks very messy, blobs and splotches of tone all over the place, should not copy ref 100% and leave out things that take away from the face.
And a quick asura crystallized sketch
[Image: file.php?id=11776]
[Image: file.php?id=11775]
[Image: file.php?id=11777]

Nothing much to show today, spent the afternoon talking and watching this totally shit debate about creationism vs evolutionism (with bill nye and kem ham). It got really dreadful and boring but I was hoping for some interesting points to show up.
I'm also so tired because I keep having disturbing dreams. Last night I dreamt of being a 12 year old, being abducted by a shady tattoo artist in a convention, then being raped and having to make love to shards of glass.
So some quick frazetta thumbs trying to learn about composition, following Noah Bradley Art Camp, and maybe getting started with the CA.org Levelup program thing
[Image: file.php?id=11813]

Started working on my gestures today with Proko's premium vids which I bought a while back. So here's a quick render test, that doesn't look 3d at all :(
[Image: file.php?id=11867]

Quick from today, traditional Friday and some more work on that character sheet.
Oil piece has many bad points on the construction, like the nose, eyes, jawline. Also the hair...sigh. NICE PIC WITH GLARE ofc :)
Also I tried doing the back view, and also blocked in the colors on the armor. The colors are based on the screenshot I have, only thing I added in is the red, not sure it fits but I wanted some variety because it was all blues and greys. Hopefully more tomorrow/this w-e.
Will try and correct things too ofc
[Image: file.php?id=11905]
[Image: file.php?id=11904]

ooo, that last traditional painting study looks really good. you did a great job with the forms. I really like how you kept the shadows very simple.

For the last of the two digital line drawings a couple of posts back. I would try and add a bit more of a dynamic pose to it before you go much further. it is very straight up and down and would benefit from some additional compositional elements.

Keep up the good work and thanks for dropping by my skecthbook :)

Jaik: thanks :). Static poses seems to be a (bad) strong point, working on it with lots of gestures and other stuff. Maybe this new WIP comes of as more dynamic

Got started with color, and doing some master studies
30 MIN NO REF
[Image: file.php?id=12051]

[Image: file.php?id=12052]

Also am trying out a more "structured approach" to finishing a piece. So here's something that should be finished within a week, trying something a lot more lose.
In case it's not clear (chances are high it isn't) it's an asura engineer, doing some sort of air strike on a human with his shield up. And the asura is holding a flamethrower.

[Image: file.php?id=12053]

Quick 1hour study. Many wrong aspects about it, but not enough time to fix them. Working on some stuff, hopefully an update tomorow
[Image: file.php?id=12168]

Kidiam: thanks :) need to work harder...

Two more studies, still one hour each, learning quite a bit from this, I'm happy. Need to get back to color tho or what I learn will just fade away...

Sargent
[Image: file.php?id=12208]

Zorn
[Image: file.php?id=12209]

So many things to do, decided to do a valentine thing, so no progress or anything else. Also did my usual gestures and some two studies of Sargent. One's the trad friday, and the other one is the same but digital, non cropped and 1hr time limit.
I'm so slow with trad, not sure if I'm gonna continue. I have a hard time controlling the medium too
Trad
[Image: file.php?id=12257]

Digital
[Image: file.php?id=12258]

Some more studies. Feeling a bit down these days, just went through a breakup and it's pretty hard at times :(
[Image: file.php?id=12513]
[Image: file.php?id=12514]
[Image: file.php?id=12515]

Some nice studies you got going on here. For the very last one, you missed a fair bit of the colour subtleties, especially in the wall, it shifts a lot more into, and out of, the greenish colour.

If you enjoy traditional I think you should continue it, theres always something that makes you feel good about having a physical finished product. But I agree, learning the controlling the medium can become a pain in the ass. Maybe try something like graphite or charcoal, since it will be easier to handle than acrylic or oil.

Also, just remember, after every dark night, theres a bright day. keep your head up and keep on pushing through. But yeah, break ups suck. Chin up and keep on moving.

Seeing some strong traditional beginnings here! I really like the amount of control you have over your analog medium.

Digital stuff is looking solid too, especially the portraits-- it seems like you're gleaning a good deal of knowledge from the masters.

I've got no crit at this time, so I'll just say that it's not an easy journey-- art or otherwise. Keep cultivating that GRIT that will permit you to withstand the storms and swim when the ship sinks. Those who press on in the face of adversity beget greatness.

Keep rockin'.

||SKETCHBOOK||. Bomb
Youtube Channel (Process, Tips on how to get work, etc...)