Aether Draws
lately I've been doing a lot of spitpaintings. They look like ass, but it's really showing me all the things I need to improve upon.

This is some really cool and creative stuff. Your environments look very good! Ohmy, and youre still so young! XD

this thread- this ThRead!- is back FRoM THE DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAD!!!

yeah, I'm back- and I brought a bunch of art progress with me! You can see all my spitpaints (I ended up doing 76 of them) and other doodles from my hiatus over on my tumblr page-
http://aethertechnician.tumblr.com/

here's what I've been up to recently-
feel free to crit the shit out of 'em!

[Image: tumblr_n4cz17qq9Q1rz9inho1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_n54dvkksRv1rz9inho1_1280.png]
[Image: tumblr_n51647Kw341rz9inho1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_n4yk1haHEa1rz9inho1_1280.jpg]

thanks, MW! (^ω^)

Well I guess that last attempt at resurrecting this thread didn't last for too long. But this time I back for reals and I'm ready to do some leveling up! ONWARD TO GLORY, FELLOW DAGGERS!

LOTS of new paintings and sketches over on my Tumblr. Give it a look see why doncha.
http://aethertechnician.tumblr.com/
[Image: tumblr_ne4pszvcsV1rz9inho1_1280.jpg]

I have way too many sketchbook pages to post, so I'll just start with the last two pages-
[Image: tumblr_nf1c7id4mo1rz9inho1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_nf1c7id4mo1rz9inho2_1280.jpg]

I like those sketches, the limited use of coloured hues works well. I particularly like that serpent-beast at the bottom left of the last page. I bet that guy standing on him is just in denial.

It looks like you're having fun with your sketches. I'd love to see more!

Lots of goodies here, the pink sky explorer mech and pumpkin bot are so good, they have a B-movie poster quality to them and I love B-movie posters :)
The thing you made with the smoke from chimney in the pumpkinBot painting works really well, but the fog in the other painting looks a bit stiff because it is even on both hills, you can make it thicker on one side, probably under moon to make it a bit more exciting.
Looking to see more stuff !

Nice stuff man, love your imagination.

Thanks everyone!
nice crit, Chopper. I should really do some studies of how light affects fog and clouds, speaking of which-

Here's a fail sketch that I did today, I need to do some studies of how light looks when it passes through different mediums.

here's a few more digisketches from my morning painting sessions-

Attached Files Image(s)

Another mornin' study session- dang. this stuff is kickin' my ass! Gotta do more.

Nice spit paintings, you seem to have really nice ideas. I'd suggest taking something further than the sketch phase though. Keep us updated :)
Thanks, BenFlores!- yeah, bringing things to a good finish is definitely a weak point for me.

Have some dead fish studies because reasons-

I really like the way you handle color mate, I really do.
A quick question , do you start with a opaque brush and lay in the colors then go rendering form or just start with a brush with opacity set to pressure sentivity ?
See ya.

I tend to use brushes that are pretty opaque, but they usually have just a little opacity and size mapped to pressure. I'm always experimenting with new brushes though. The most important thing is to get the right values in the right places (so high opacity is usually best) but the gradient between those values can also be very important. I'll try to post a new brush pack here soon.

Have some quick quick mornin' paint-
[Image: tumblr_nfahy8x9bb1rz9inho1_500h.jpg]

this mornin's sketch- messin with loose linework.

and more line stuff for a little somethin' I'm workin on-

Did you study animation? You're stuff looks really animationy. Thats a word now.

No, but I'm glad you mention that- I'm hoping to maybe do an internship with an animation studio this summer.

So I have it on good authority that my traditional pen work sucks ass's ass
I'm gonna try to practice this stuff more.

gotta get better!!!

MOAR! cause I really gotta get this whole drawing thing sorted.

and some drawin' on the train

Here's some stuff from school. I'm gonna make these a part of some kinda megapost at the end of the semester, but I figured I could share a little now-

two sketches blah

[Image: tumblr_nfruihsZbg1rz9inho1_1280.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nfruihsZbg1rz9inho2_1280.jpg]