Study habits and how it relates to paintings from imagination
Hey Daggers!
I'm curious about other peoples study habits and how it relates to their work from imagination.

I'd like to know if it's common to use one "method" or process for studying and a somewhat different one for when you're doing your own paintings. I tend to study one way and paint in another and I'm not totally sure if that is in some way a problem. I know a lot of the fundamental things translate but are there some benefits from doing them the same that I'm missing out on?

I asked this on CA as well but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about this.
Any opinions or thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,

Discord - JetJaguar#8954
Im still too much of a newb to have much to say on this but I've heard its good to use as many different processes or methods as you can. How is your study method different from your painting method specifically?

Yeah, I think of all techniques and workflows as tools; You use the best tool for each problem. The more tools on your backpack, the better, right?

There is no right and wrong, only techniques and results.
So I practice doing it, from studies or imagination, in different ways as often as I can.

I would get a Really good book that touches on all the art movements. That way you can take notes in it and always have it as a reference.
I'm with Ursula, there's no right and wrong, everyone are different and are learning differently.
I'm not sure what exactly you mean, cuz doodling from imagination I could also consider as studying.
But when I'm working on bigger projects and those are always from imagination ;) I just prepare for them much longer, making value thumbnails, planing colors distribution etc.

Ditto. Work how you like, experiment and see what works for you. As a general thing though I would say if you tailor your study towards particular pieces of your imagination work, it may make it feel less random like hopping between two things. For example, study things you want to use for your own ref in your imagination work. It is a bit more focused that way.

The other thing I have noticed is that the study will actually pay off way down the line when you aren't even trying. I noticed sometimes I will paint something from imagination and think now how the hell did I do that bit so well, and realise it all came out of a study series of clouds or whatever that I did ages ago. It all bubbles back up somehow

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta