How to begin studying drawing properly? (complete beginner)
Hello all,

I am a complete beginner (I'm actually too ashamed to post sketches here, though I know I should at some point).
Right now I'm not even brave enough to draw anymore because I'm so bad at it.
I started practicing with Loomis "Fun with a pencil" but it's still pretty difficult for me.

I want to improve. Could you recommend easy books or videos? Thank you.

I recommend every beginner to read How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-Comics-Th...0671530771

Forget about the subject matter, because what it teaches is applicable to every style of representational art. Despite how it looks, it teaches rock solid fundamentals.

(03-19-2014, 09:10 AM)Kaycee Wrote: Right now I'm not even brave enough to draw anymore because I'm so bad at it.

The first step to improving is getting over that feeling and just doing your best each time you draw.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
I heard many people recommending How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way so there's have to be something in it. I personally "grown up" on Loomis books, you can stick to it too. Drawing is no fast thing to learn so just don't bash yourself, don't be afraid nobody was master from the beginning. I encourage you to create sketchbook after all. It will help you to sustain active with your drawing.

Start by drawing for fun.Start to draw it not easy but would it be fun if it was?Then you will start noticing where you have problem don't be afraid to post a sketchbook so people can help you. Explore what kind of thing you like to draw then after that the path will appear.But one thing is sure you should get a book that teach the fundamental.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Hello all, and thank you for your advice. I bit the bullet and just drew for about 30 minutes. However my sketches turned out really bad. I will try to post them, but I'm not sure I can improve.

You will not see improvement in an hour or in a day. This takes time, months and years. Just don't think your sketches have to look perfect, they are lessons, and you are learning from them.
“Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out.” ― Chuck Jones

(03-20-2014, 12:32 AM)Kaycee Wrote: I bit the bullet and just drew for about 30 minutes. However my sketches turned out really bad. I will try to post them, but I'm not sure I can improve.

I'll let you in on a secret: Everybody's first drawings are bad. NOBODY starts off making good drawings.

Drawing is a skill combined with knowledge, and it takes alot of practice, alot of persistence, and alot of effort to get good at it. If you put in the work, you WILL get good at it. But that's the catch. You don't magically get good from thin air, so don't expect to be.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Thank you for your answers. I'm not sure everyone can become good at drawing, but I'm willing to try, at least for a while (as I still have some free time for now.)

Hey everybody, I want to become a comic book artist, and I want to start on anatomy, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
(03-20-2014, 05:38 AM)Da-4th Wrote: Hey everybody, I want to become a comic book artist, and I want to start on anatomy, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

you can start with burne hogarth's figure drawing books, marko djurdjevic also recommended the same
(03-21-2014, 12:28 AM)BenFlores Wrote:
(03-20-2014, 05:38 AM)Da-4th Wrote: Hey everybody, I want to become a comic book artist, and I want to start on anatomy, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

you can start with burne hogarth's figure drawing books, marko djurdjevic also recommended the same

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll look in to it.
(03-21-2014, 12:28 AM)BenFlores Wrote:

Do you recommend George R.R Bridgman? I have copied his work to a more understanding point of view but I dont think I can draw like him without looking at it.

And to the main dude on this post, bro check out my drawing there really bad im in the sameboat, I honestly dont care anymore I need people to tell me im shit so I can do something about it. I feel like im not alone when I read this post. Great replies too. Cheers

Follow your passion not your friends, They may have a cool life but its you in the end
CD
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4764.html
DA
http://worldwarstartii.deviantart.com/
Flickr:Photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Quote:Do you recommend George R.R Bridgman? I have copied his work to a more understanding point of view but I dont think I can draw like him without looking at it.

And to the main dude on this post, bro check out my drawing there really bad im in the sameboat, I honestly dont care anymore I need people to tell me im shit so I can do something about it. I feel like im not alone when I read this post. Great replies too. Cheers

bridgman is great! i have to get to it eventually. frank frazetta copied his book on anatomy along with victor pirard's in just one night.

"What I did was that I copied every page in each book. I stayed up all night; I just made my mind to copy every single drawing in each book. I knew it would just stay in my mind forever.That’s the gist of my anatomy studies, really. That’s all I ever did. You still keep learning as you go along. I remembered a lot of it. I drew them from the skeleton right on up. That’s all very good. But it’s more what you do with it. It’s the lighting, it’s the action, it’s the action you select: it’s not just how well you draw the anatomy. What’s the point of it? If you know your anatomy, and the figures are boring, it doesn’t help."

to sum it up, its all about taking what you can from your resources and building on them and then putting years and years of hard work in. find what works for you too, because everybody is different. good luck man
Do a tutorial, then go look at a real person and apply what you've learned. Repeat.

Do a tutorial, then go look at a real person and apply what you've learned. Repeat.