BLOODSPORT 4 Reborn - Action Figure Packaging!
Hey guys!
Jaik and I decided to resurrect the old Bloodsport challenges for fun & practice (and a little bit of nostalgia) - once a month, running for two weeks each. We would be happy to see some of you join the fun! We are going to post a new thread in the community challenge sub-forum for every topic, so everybody who wants to participate can post there and exchange feedback. There will be no judging in the end, and no enforcement of deadlines etc - it's all about the process and practice.

This month:

Action Figure Packaging!
Created by: Dave Rapoza

This challenge is to design a Action figure package using the provided template and logos. The character must represent your chosen property, feel free to interpret them any way you like, we want you to have fun with this! If you want to include little additional text about what it can do all action packed like feel free.

Use these logos on your packaging! Feel free to modify them if you need to regarding final products design. (OPEN IN NEW TAB, SAVE AS .PNG!)

Provided Properties! You must choose from one of these, its up to you to make them cool(thats the challenge)!
[Image: CrystalCrusaders_logo.png]
[Image: GorillaGuardians.png]
[Image: LegendofLizards.png]

Click here for package template:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/MrDelici...e.png.html

Requirements:

- Must create a composition that includes space for the actual TOY!(you do not need to draw the figure itself, just the illustration of the figure on the package)
- Must use one of our THREE PROPERTIES! Character must represent the property in some way!
- Must use provided template although you can feel free to modify it with your own designs(cut into the package, etc.) IF you're doing something more like a 2 pack character feel free to do so.
- Studies pertaining to finished illustration MUST be shown with the piece in order to be eligible to win. Studies MUST include compositional comps and thumbnails
- Studies must be relevant to the character design and elements used in the illustration.

Deadline: Friday, April 14th

Examples! (You cant use these properties! just examples of other packaging!)

[Image: ActionFigures.jpg]

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
Since I neglected studies last time, I decided to start with some this time, trying out different ways to paint/draw/render some crystals. Not sure what direction I want to go with the final painting, but I'll do the Crystal Crusaders.

I'm going to join you peoples ;O!

My comp thing

Yay Nimao! :) Nice start, I like how dynamic it is. You might want to move the sword (or the sun/planet behind it) a bit though, so that the cross guard either overlaps, or leaves a bit of negative space so that there won't be any confusing tangents.

studying poses

composition

looking how others are doing it.. seems like really everything is possible. Completely depends on subject matter/IP, target audience and price range.

Knew I forgot to do something.. Post in the damn thread -__-

Here we go. next step, studies I think.

The study of the packaging helped a lot with solidifying where I wanted to go and what to aim for. I am not sure what kind of study you would call it. Maybe market study?

I think I will do similar style studies for future bloodsports as well. Just to work out what I am supposed to be aiming for instead of being a little unfocused like I was the past bloodsports.
This brief isnt to do an illustration that fits on a backing board for a toy, but to design the packaging. An important differentiation.

Attached Files Image(s)

joining too! I'm starting holidays from 14th so this is perfect challenge for me before Ester :D Toy package is my favorite bloodsport topic!

Good to see you join us, Madzia! :) That's a nasty looking Lizard.

Character and color exploration, and also started on the final... but I think I have to start that one over, because I am loosing all of the detail and flair I like in the thumbs. (I am aiming for something like asian mmo look)

here is a update ;O

Wow Nimao thats looking really cool :) I'm worried about the twist in the abs though, something looks a little off, have you considered seperating his legs a little?

Alrighty, mine.
Changed the composition again, I seem to have a better idea of what will and wont work for composition after I design the character, this has happened pretty consistently in the past so I feel confident in saying that maybe I should focus on designing the character before doing final comps, but at the same time, it was by doing the inital comps that I got the idea for what the character is. Maybe its more of a natural process and shouldn't be too consistent over and over.

Really not sure about the base colours at the moment, but I seem to have hit a wall in regards to colour. I feel like something is off, but I don't know what to change or what to add. Any suggestion? Also did a quick gorilla study for how I am going to handle the hair.

Attached Files Image(s)

Jaik: To me the base colors look fine, maybe the bottom green is a bit too saturated, being a not-very-important element of the image/package. Value wise, I think it would read better without the greenish trees in the distance. Try how it looks if you let the sky touch the horizon and substitute the warm green of the ground with something less obtrusive?

I redrew the lineart today, not much progress to show.. I'm really bad with digital lines :<

Progress... the face will get changed again.

nice to draw creature for a change :) I'm too lazy for design and fonts :D

Cant forget to upload here.

Was fun, didn't turn out how I expected but I still enjoyed myself and am not unhappy with the result.

Madzia: That looks great! I love the way you design stuff, looks so cool. Nice job. Agree with the font thing >.> You should have turned the d in lizards upside down for the P and just copied and pasted the rest xP

Attached Files Image(s)

Good job guys :) Poison Peter, haha :D

took me too long again =/

But you finished, that's what counts! Sam Sparkels XD
Looking cool, I think the legs work better now. The glowing eyes are cool. :)