CRIMSON ARENA 2-Leading Ladies WIP
Here´s a more advanced picture of the thumbnails, I will make another one from the begining so I can compare and then choose one. This challenge is awesome, I always make medieval fantasy so making a futuristic women is perfect to practice!

Attached Files Image(s)

Thumbs Up 
well hello there guys im pretty new here so i hope im doing everything correct...
so here are some studys i have been doing for the challenge which is awesome!
Im going for the Queen of stormhaven.

Ps. nice stuff until now guys! Andi totally suck with humans :(
Great work everyone. I'm having a blast here. Insane, ecstatic
------------------------
Some colour mockups here.

Wow Phil awesome design, really futuristic! Insane, ecstatic

Hi, pretty new here, and this looked like an interesting challenge; albeit not entirely sure I'm fast enough to complete something in 2 weeks (but what the heck).

And I do enjoy playing around with character concepts (old tabletop RPG habits) even if I have difficulty bringing em to a polished finish.

Liking everyone's designs so far, and I'm envious at the speed people are churning out their designs/ideas.

---------------------------------------------------

Decided to go with the Queen of Stormhaven. Pushed the fantasy bit to "high fantasy" to give me more ideas (or excuses for some design choices) to play with.

Recently listened to one of Chris Oatley's casts on char design. He suggested to add a quality that's opposite to the characters key strengths to make them more interesting.

In this case I decided to go with child-prodigy-diety/child-like-empress; or at least mid-teen(ish).

Was aiming for a poised, commanding pose, that still had a hint of femininity without being too sexual. I didn't want her to stand like a strong man or typical male soldier.

[Image: tumblr_n3olekY1OM1sbh1fro1_1280.jpg]

Tried some silhouette/form studies for her headgear/crown. Had some interesting idea(s) near the end of it:

"Front Line" isn't limited to infantry, so why not Navy (although admittedly I'm a bit lost on how to incorporate the crown/queen idea with naval hats; that and I like the small crown silhouettes).

Maybe she could be a pirate queen(?) or have an eye-patch. (and Sturmhaven could be a ship, or a fleet, or a massive moving island Tongue)

[Image: tumblr_n3s8v5mwTy1sbh1fro1_1280.jpg]

played with the idea of an over-sized anchor like Mace/Hammer for her weapon.

[Image: tumblr_n3s8v5mwTy1sbh1fro2_500.jpg]

lots of references used.

GREAT stuff everyone! Glad to see the challenge got rolling :D

@Pictomancer: Love the child idea, hope you can find time
__

Here are some crappy (digital) weapon studies... just trying to feed the visual library with forms (because I suck so bad at designing tech stuff).

Okay, here goes some quicks thumbs researchs of general silhouette/poses.
I'm not even sure about which concept brief I'll choose. Both are cool. Will see tomorrow...

(edit: oups, sry for the rez. Didn't take care of the def while scanning the pages from my sketchbook. :p )

I did a study for the ehad/hair :)

Attached Files Image(s)

some "tough girl pose" studies

then some frome mind

and armour

and more armour

and starting the thumbs

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
This challenge is a great idea! I need to scan the stuff in from my sketchbook in for it, but until then i'll post this. Some suit ideas. I picked the sci fi theme. Characters aren't my thing so this is a pretty big challenge. Hahah :P
Also great work so far everyone else! :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Alright I worked on a couple more designs and have finished my exploration process, I'm going to mix and match bits and pieces from each design I did and sort of frankenstein together my final design, then once that's done I'll start on the actual final after I do some figure studies to make sure I get a good silhouette goin for the character. Here's also the rest of the armor studies I did, you can really see where in the first designs I didn't know what to put in certain parts and how that changes as I do more designs and more studies ha

[Image: 3028e5f388797b37de7e7311522751c5.png]

[Image: bc1128caf2bcfef455ba25d400919b50.png]

Whooop Whoop new stuff. now on the the main poses

I decided to give it a spin.It seems like a good exercise.

Attached Files Image(s)

Fleshed out the designs a bit...

I really wish I was as productive as you guys! I've managed to get to the exploration phase, hope I can finish the challenge in time :/

Anyway, tried out different hairstyles and nailed the overall face I had in mind for my leading lady. Trying to keep the hair somewhat classy since she doesn't do much combat anymore (just leading, you know :P)

Keep up the pace, everyone! Looking forward to see the results.

Okay, I'm going with the fantasy brief. Made some more thumbs to find the pose/overall silhouette:

Man this pose feels stiff! I'll try to juice it up when going for the final sketch... Still need to get used drawing directly on a wacom... Tongue

On with the material/cloths/head/what have you studies!

Trying to get a hang on rendering dark armor & decoration

WIP

rough Design:

Head study:

i hope tomorrow i get to apply the study to the design. i hope it still in my head o.o

Some explorations I think i´m going with a more mecha design :L

great work everyone!

i have a mental block on this one. but here's a couple concept sheets.