Appreciation of hobby artist vs full time artist
Recently someone showed me one of those pass-me-on emails of a lawyer who drew photo-realism stuff in his spare time using only colored Bic ball-point pen. They were amazed by the lawyer's talent and success. He takes months or even year to do a drawing and it's amazing. I remarked that it's amazing because he's not a professional artist. If he is, then he would be "supposed" to be able to do that, and would be expected to make amazing painting in a few days, or weeks, tops. When informed otherwise, frowns appear and doubts tints their tones. I was also reminded at this opportunity that "See? Art can only be a hobby when you're successful in a successful-able career like lawyer." Why is it that there is a big difference between people's appreciation of a "hobby" artist and a "full-time" artist? Because we can't seem to feed ourselves and our families and put fuel in our cars?

Focus.
The starving artist is a really tired cliche. People confuse aspiring professional artist with professional artist. Theres plenty of successful artist out there. Sure there arnt many millionaire artists but plenty that make a living at what they do. I wouldnt worry about convincing these people with words. Its very hard to change peoples minds that way. And why does it even matter what they think? You know what you're talking about and they dont. Just keep doing what you're doing and eventually you're actions will speak for you.

Yeah, agree with you there. Unfortunately I'm easily influenced/persuaded to the point where I can't even believe what a spineless puddle of water I am. At least if I'm around those people all the time anyway. This is why these online communities where artists can talk to each other is so important...

Focus.
The thing that all of thous people don't realize is that they actually prize someones stubbornest. "talent" is nothing more than just doing your own stuff in spite of opinion of others. I wonder how many times this layer heard " if you would spend this all time learning law instead on drawing, you would be so much better layer" . I myself had this bad luck that all people around me knew better what I should do with my life. Just avoid people like that, they can be so toxic. >_> The will tell you that your social skill sucks only because you didn't went with the crowd. But when you achieve success they will glorify you as if they always believed in You.

Dude. Do not care what others think. Do not care whether you or someone else deserves kudos or not. Do not care why others care and whether their care is deserved. Do not care whether you should care. All of this kind of thinking is SO missing the point. Do you enojy making art? Yes? Great, now go do it.
That's it. Period!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta