Daily 3D shit.
Brick 
A year ago I took a 3D modeling class that was really demanding because it had us do one 3D model every day in addition to all the other homework. It was totally worth it though. After that semester I did an internship over the summer and the following semester so I didn't get much time for dailies, but now I'm taking the next class in the program and I'm back to the routine. The first class was for hard surface modeling, while this one is an organic modeling one.

All right, prepare for a massive art dump.

Here is some of the work from the hard surface class:

Week1:
[Image: day01_gun_lighter.jpg]

[Image: day02_coffee_cup.jpg]

[Image: day03_chef_knife.jpg]

[Image: day04_fork.jpg]

[Image: day05_saucepan.jpg]

[Image: day06_binder_clip.jpg]

[Image: day07_exacto.jpgg]

Week2:
[Image: day08_pepper_grinder.jpg]

[Image: day09_grater.jpg]

[Image: day10_apple_slicer.jpg]

[Image: day11_pills.jpg]

[Image: day12_kukri.jpg]

[Image: day13_power_plug.jpg]

[Image: day14_dnd_dice.jpg]

Week3:
[Image: day15_sauce_bottle.jpg]

[Image: day16_word_lock.jpg]

[Image: day17_battery.jpg]

[Image: day18_sansa.jpg]

[Image: day19_processor.jpg]

[Image: day20_wacom_mouse.jpg]

[Image: day21_fireaxe.jpg]

Week 4:

[Image: day22_ipod_cable.jpg]

[Image: day23_french_press.jpg]

[Image: day24_light_switch.jpg]

[Image: day25_tongs.jpg]

[Image: day26_ikea_glass.jpg]

[Image: day27_SDcard.jpg]

[Image: day28_lightbulb.jpg]

Week 5:

[Image: day28_Starcraft_flash_drive.jpg]

[Image: day29_kodak_film.jpg]

[Image: day30_usb_hub.jpg]

[Image: day31_longsword.jpg]

Here are some bigger weekly assignments we got. They were both two week projects, first week to model and the second to do corrections and revisions.

Click for higher rez!

[Image: project1_akg.jpg]

[Image: project2_lamp.jpg]

And here is some stuff I did over the winter break. Ashamed to admit I had a hard time motivating myself so I didn't get much work done. :(

[Image: goon1.jpg]

[Image: brazier.jpg]

[Image: bracelet.JPG]

[Image: skull01.jpg]

And finally here are the sketches from the current organic modeling class:

[Image: blocky.jpg]

[Image: walky.jpg]

[Image: walky2.jpg]

[Image: crouchy_front.jpg]

[Image: crouchy_back.jpg]

[Image: BPR_Render.jpg]

[Image: gray_render.jpg]

I recorded a video of the pig head being modeled. Less for showing off and more for going back and look at my process to spot areas where I slow down or screw up.

[Image: basket3.jpg]

[Image: basket1.jpg]

[Image: pollywog1.jpg]

[Image: pollywog2.jpg]

And here is what I'm currently chipping away at. My anatomy is pretty bonkers so I'm doing a study. Really slowing down on the arms and legs, I suck at those areas.

[Image: wip2.jpg]

[Image: wip3.jpg]

damn a wicker basket using z spheres haha ;D You have tonnes of stuff, you should de-rez them abit and add them to a library of assets you can reuse in other projects. Or sell them on turbosquid, keep it up man!

Y'know I've been planning on that. I've just never got around to doing it. I don't like doing things half-assed so I'd end up making lowpolies and bake out the normals, and give them a spec and diffuse texture. Although realistically I guess I should just package them and put the highpolies up for sale.
ha! i was thinking Turbosquid too!! you could definately sell off a kitchen accessories pack or something man! great work too! amazing attention to details in these! that friggin wicker basket!! what the hell!! haha. do you work in maya and mudbox? have you tried zbrush?
I know basically nothing about complex modeling like this, so I'll simply say well done!

________
.PORTFOLIO.

Thank you guys. :)

I use Maya and zBrush, but I am starting to look into 3DSMax and I've been known to play around with 3DCoat and Modo. But those first two are my weapons of choice.

The basket honestly isn't as crazy as it seems. in zBrush you can turn on something called radial symmetry so every stroke you do is repeated several times in a circle. So in essence I really only weaved two strands. I got the idea from this awesome lady called Magdalena Dadela who did an amazing straw hat. She did a video demonstrating the principle, and her vastly superior weaving skills. ;(

Anyway here is today's sketch. Because it's valentines. Har har.

[Image: heart.jpg]
Short on time, but trying my hands at an old classic. Plenty of issues but I gotta get to bed.

[Image: eye01.jpg]
Considering myself done with the anatomy study part of this guy.

[Image: mohawk1.jpg]

[Image: mohawk2.jpg]

But now I'm considering putting some clothes on him. I've been thinking about doing Sandor Clegane aka The Hound from the Song of Ice and Fire series for a while so I think I'll take him in that direction. Learn some hard surface techniques in zBrush.

And speaking of which I was watching the Eat3D Hard Surface 2 DVD and I got inspired to dick round a bit with the workflow he was demonstrating. Discovered that activating Polish on Dynamesh can give some pretty interesting effects combined with an inverted dam_standard.

[Image: armor2.jpg]

Dramatic lighting for good measure.
[Image: armor.jpg]
Interesting to see another person that uses 3D in the crimson daggers... looks like you're a little more of a traditional modeller with the maya props. I really only know Zbrush and I've been doing 3D high poly sculpts exclusively for illustrative purposes rather than for games or anything. But all of that stuff in maya looks really cool! you said you were picking up 3DSmax as well? I was thinking that would be my next project too... all of those game concept artists use it like Jay Hawkins and Josh Nizzi. Anyways enough rambling... nice work man! :)
Thanks man. Yeah I've mainly stuck to Maya but I'm working on getting better at digital sculpting. Your 3D stuff is pretty damn good, how is Ringling's 3D program? There's a lot of impressive work coming out of there so I'm wondering what your experience with it is.
(02-20-2012, 11:53 AM)Fingus Wrote: Thanks man. Yeah I've mainly stuck to Maya but I'm working on getting better at digital sculpting. Your 3D stuff is pretty damn good, how is Ringling's 3D program? There's a lot of impressive work coming out of there so I'm wondering what your experience with it is.

Haha, funny enough I've only been doing 3D for like half a year... and I'm not in the 3D program, I'm an illustration major. I took an optional Zbrush class, but it was so introductory and basic that I've learned most of what I know on my own. We do have CA and GA majors though and they're pretty sweet animation wise... though I don't know how well the modelling aspect of the classes are. My friend just recently got picked up before he even graduated by Epic games as a full-time animator and he was a Game Art Major.
Ooops. Been an unproductive week. Here, have some new poop:

[Image: render.jpg]
[Image: render.jpg]
[Image: knife_render1.jpg]

alpha brushes + zbrush = win. There was a great tut by a weta guy who made the mountains in king kong. Forgot its name tho! Keep it up :)

Actually, I didn't use any alphas for that. Unless there's a very specific detail I need I rarely use alphas. I prefer to use Tool > Surface > Noise on layers, turn down the opacity, and then pick out the most interesting shapes and details I see in the chaos. I suppose I should try to work some alpha stamps into that workflow, but at the moment I feel I waste too much time photomanipulating and tweaking settings rather than doing artistic shit. Which is funny, because when I use Maya I tend to get super technical.
Mmm, cool to see some 3d work around here. Lovely work.
I really like the rocks but maybe add some color variation?
Ugh no updates in forever. Going to post some more recent stuff soon, but now I need to sleep.

Planning on trying out some hard surface techniques in zBrush. Here is a preliminary concept sculpt that I will be working off. Still need to finish the gauntlets and helmet. Will probably do so tomorrow.

[Image: 1.jpg]
Dude, your work makes me want to open the 3d max again, but i need a graphic card :( by the way ,this is really good! can´t imagine how cool this gonna look in a few months if you continue doing this daily

Oooooooooooh ok. So I totally dropped off the face of the earth for a bit. Just got caught in a bit of a rut and fell out of habit of updating my sketchbook. Well I'm back and ready to get updatin.

Here is a big messy dump of what I have been doing lately.

I finished the armor guy. I'd like to do some detailing in the future, but I ended up spending so much time on him I figured I should move on.
[Image: 8.jpg]

I did a cloth study.
[Image: cloth_front.jpg]
[Image: cloth_back.jpg]

Experimented with zBrush's NoiseMaker.
[Image: blah.jpg]

Started doing a cartoony fat pirate dude.
[Image: 3.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]

And gave him a big nasty scar.
[Image: 6.jpg]

Did a nasty head using only the Clay Buildup brush, and replacing the Smooth brush with Rake, gave a nice clay feel to it.

And started working on an ecorche. Still on the skeleton so far. Muscles will commence the coming weekend.
[Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 7.jpg]
Oh and I completely forgot, here are my finals from the Hard Surface class most of the stuff in my first post was from.

[Image: full.jpg]
[Image: detail.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]

And a character I made together with my friend Sueann Williams.
[Image: mini3d_thespy_fingus.jpg]
Tonight's work on the skeleton. The wrist is a bitch...

[Image: 8.jpg]
[Image: 9.jpg]