Lilly's Sketchbook
Hey Lilly, great work! I feel you on the imaginative stuff, it doesn't come out as fresh and exciting as you want because of lack of visual library. Here's some tips that I use to help that, not in any specific order.

1) before (or after) you make a study, make some notes (mental or written down but it helps to make it stick if you write them down) on the key characteristics you want to remember - like 2 or 3 points, the shape of a nose, the gesture of a tree trunk, the general silhouette of a mountain - whatever it is you're studying. Then after, make a drawing without reference and use those characteristics. (That's what study and application means). Things are shifted into our long term memory if we remember them right at the point we were about to forget them - so doing another drawing using those characteristics a day, a few days or a week later will help to lock them down.

2) If drawing something in nature, try to break it down into simple shapes and gestures - like this guy breaking down a wave (here is the full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6LkGjT5SYA)

[Image: 6jhnye6.jpg]

Or like with the birch tree in this image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mzCJ6zstW_I/Ta...G_1653.JPG You can see the branches on the right side curve upwards (the side the wind mostly hits from), and on the other side they curve downwards. Making notes like this for yourself, if you want to draw a wave or a birch tree you've got a really simple starting point to build details onto.

3) Study something, then draw it from memory (good for things like skulls that you want to lock in all the details). It'll look rubbish the first time, but keep doing it til it looks beautiful.

4) Use a reference picture but draw it from a different angle.

5) Apply any / all of this stuff in thumbnails. That way you can focus on practising the imaginative parts without sinking extra hours into careful rendering and painting. You could get maybe 4 or 5 thumbnails every hour if you take time, so 4 or 5 chances to practice imaginative drawing in that time.

Hope that's useful! Keep up the great work!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Thanks Jyonny! I really liked the way he simplified things in the video, and I should try doing more with shapes. I also need to start taking notes when I study, and I will try the other things for sure! I need to start doing studies an applying them right after too.

I like the way those character silhouettes are turning out :) Are you planning on taking one of those to finish? I could see half of those working well as a character illustration. One thing to note though is that it would be a good idea to look up reference after this first silhouette stage, so that you get a really solid foundation of the pose to build on. And there are a ton of great stock photos of archers on deviantart or you could take some self reference too.

Haven't posted in a while largely due to me being lazy.
I am not sure how I feel about the design of the character.

Thanks nate! I didn't pick one of those silhouettes, and I am currently using reference to work things out and i am gonna do some studies too.

Been doing mainly fun stuff, all of them are wip.

were tha bargues at!!?!

So I did some more art than I am posting, but everything is all over the place, and i wanna work some things out with them more, but here is some stuff i have been doing while I have been lazy and not posting.

So I did 1.5 hour challenge today, and that didn't go to well cause i wasted a lot of time with something I didnt add so its super unfinished. Also doing this design thing the whole month so that's fun.
I also did some traditional stuff today, but I'll upload it some other time.

Long time no post.
I have been doing the 1 month design challenge and the thumbs are bad but it has been fun.
I need to step up the amount of studies I've been doing, but I've been keeping up with anatomy and bargues. However due to a lot of that being traditional I am not gonna post it at the moment.

More stuff for design challenge thing.

Here is some of the stuff I've been working on.

Need to step up the amount of studies I've been doing. This week is spring break so I hope to get more done.

Thumbs Up 
that study came out good ! nice progress ;) , gotta keep at it for those sweat art gains
Nice job! You really took your clarity to the next step. I like the study of the weird creature lady, however I feel that if you painted along with the form it would've been even better and don't be afraid to use the ellipse tool, no body's perfect and I can probably guarantee you that the original artist used it as well. I'd also check the spacial relationships around the bottom circle as well.

Your sketches seem more clear and clean tho, Keep up the good work ^^
Thanks mylqin and blue! Yeah i need to think more about brush strokes in terms of form.

So I have been working on these illustration things, I am unsure about the robot one in terms of how the rain on window thing is working and how the bg and values and colors and all that is working. Plus the legs are really off but I will fix that. Also I really need to work on perspective more, once it gets past basic principles, and start applying and placing horizon line and vanishing points I can have trouble the more complex it is. Gotta keep up the grind.