Lilly's Sketchbook
So its a new year, and my goal is to improve a ton this year, and while I study and draw think more, and not just mindlessly copy and/or lay down strokes.

Here is a study I did, I tried focusing on values more and just getting them right.
I need to start rendering out some of my studies more too.
Also here is a random monster I did late last night.
I need to do more imagination stuff and fun stuff.

Also thanks Adam, and the artist is Eduardo Schaal.

the value study is looking great .. keep it up
Hey lilly!

Your goals for this year sound awesome :) you're thinking the right way about things and if you keep at it studying and applying , you will seriously become amazeballs!

I'm not sure how much time you have in a day to work on your art, but make sure to spend a quite a lot of time each day honing your skills - if you can manage 6hrs a day; getting up early if you have to, drawing in hallways, on transport, etc - things will only get better

Also, don't forget good ol' pencils and paper - my understanding of values improved a lot by sketching objects lying around, simplifying values, etc and then applying what I learned to imaginative sketches

Anyways I'm rambling now! Haha, keep going strong lilly, I believe in ya!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
So I made a schedule, and I am going to make sure to actually follow it.
Need to work on my lines especially with digital more so I did that along with a study, they aren't good.
Thanks 44. :)

Thanks Smmr!, yeah I need to try getting 6 hours a day in during school days.
I am gonna try drawing from life more while in school, and Ill try simplifying values with pencil, because I haven't tried that yet, I tend to just to line or go all out shading with pencil.

So I wanna try finishing a piece in 2 weeks, so I started working on that tonight, so far I don't like it but I am gonna work on it a lot more. The figure seems off.
I wanna do actual pieces along with studying to get some more imagination in, and be a little more focused and not just random studies. I also wanna see where I am at more, and I think finishing something may show that.
Today I also drew figures from imagination to see how they would turn out, and I am gonna start reading Hampton or Loomis this week. Also did some comp studies, and did a really quick rat study.

I like how much you are getting done each day! if you can get 6+ hours a day into your art you will be getting better than me by 50% each day if you look at it that way Shock

I'm not at the level to critique anyone...... yet! Wink so just keep doing what your doing because its fun to look at!

The sketchbook stuff is not all from today, and the pictures are most likely bad, because I am too lazy to scan.
Need to work on them lines, and gestures.
Thanks Irish!

I wasn't very productive today. I did some perspective stuff and some basic things clicked well doing it. I didn't end up doing a real study and just drew and random landscape from my head, I may try adding something to give it more story, and make it neater.

You're getting a lot done! Thats great but dont burn yourself out though.

Thanks Adam. About the burn thing I am trying to do fun stuff along with studies to prevent a burn out. Trying to find the right balance.

So half of what I did today didn't really work out and I am gonna need to go back to the thumbnail stage, because my WIP had a bad comp, and I am gonna change it where the monster is on the ceiling. I feel it will show the fact it is sneaking up on the guy better too.

So I may not be posting much because I need to focus on finals. Which is bleh, but I have been procrastinating on studying way too much.
Right now I am prob going to go with this thumb.

Hey hey, definitely suggest working on anatomy structure stuff! Loomis and bridgeman is a nice mix imo. Simple stuff like the cross to signify the eyes and nose is gonna help a lot. That perspective stuff is looking nice btw, I need to get myself back to it...I hate perspective grids and all that so much but gotta do what you hate :)

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

What Jonesoda said- keep on doing the anatomy as much as you can, that knowledge is something you don't wanna let go easely, same for the perspective- always try to push yourself more every day, it's hard but worth it so keep it up ! : )

Shin's Sketchbook ▼ ▼ ▼Patreon ▼ ▼ ▼ dArt
Haven't posted in a week because had to focus on finals but now I should be back to posting more often.
I wanted to work more on design and stuff, so here is some thumbs I've been doing, I am gonna do a lot more by the time the weekend is up, and hopefully start something on Sunday. I was really inspired by this design video by AJ, and really wanted me to explore using different reference and finding different sources for inspiration and playing with shapes more. Also it gave me a more idea of how to study design.

Thanks Jonesoda and Shin. I am gonna keep up doing the anatomy, and work on structure and look at books, I wanna try looking at Hampton too.

keep it commin lilz u doin good :)

thanks Iggy, I will!

Attached Files Image(s)

Great Stuff , i'm loving those designs . maybe you should turn one of them into painting . keep it up
Thanks 44!

I wanna actually make a piece and use a design but I am not really happy with them when I try taking further. I have been trying to do more imagination stuff but I feel a lack of knowledge which means I need to focus more on studying and funds too.

Here is some studies and stuff, not happy with the way the movie one turned out. Portrait is a WIP