Rshin's Sketchbook
@Jyonny thank you :D I took your advice and did more gestures

I started with female gestures because this is where I struggled the most.
tried to make them as feminine looking as I can.

Most of these are supported with references, but I did some gestures from imagination too.
I did a few male gestures on the side. And ignore that guy sketch on the side as well haha

I will post more drawings. I've got 2 pieces planned for this week, so I look forward to showing those (y)
Just a couple more things I did for this week. Just trying stuff out so I could figure out
how I'll do this new piece I'm doing.

This one is a color study I did (w/ reference but changed it up a bit) I honestly struggled on that sun light passing through the trees.
I'll figure out a solution for that in future studies.

I'll get back to gestures soon.
Haven't posted anything again. So here's my update.

Last week, I said I would post a study or wip on what I'm working on, and here it is.

This drawing still feels wrong for me, so there's more improvement i need to go through.

I also drew more hands for my 1000 Hands thing

I tried my best to draw from imagination. I think only 4 of these had ref and the rest are from my imagination.
Still need more work and understanding specially with the wrist connection and the fats (?) and skin on the palm.

I also got my How to Draw book so I started going through it. I don't think I'll post it but I'm filling up a bunch of papers with lines as I practice my construction lines. I also checked out the Dynamic Sketching video by Peter Han. So I'm combining that with the How to Draw exercise.
It's been really hard to focus recently cause of the heat.
But I still try to study as much as I can.

Okay so here it goes. Been studying some Michael Hampton (ty jon for this :) )
materials and been absorbing as much info I could.

Next posts would prolly be more about application of these things.
I've also been putting off the wip I posted before.. I really have to finish that soon.
My god It's been a week since I drew something
That's bad. I shouldnt do that again.

I've been doing small things though like.. writing for this new project I want to do

Here's a little something that I did today. something quick. did this while trying to remember
what I learned from the michael hampton video I watched

have to do more drawings but real life can be a jerk sometimes.
Another quick thing.
I kept thinking about the planes on the head as I put my values.
Will try to understand the human head some more.
Didn't bother blending because I don't know how to properly do so, but I will try that next time.

Will have to go through the michael hampton vids again and again until I get this right.
I stopped the gestures for now (but I will get back to those soon once I have the energy for it)
and the hand studies.

Will also prolly post a portrait a day for the whole month.
Getting pretty serious with these studies lately.

I really want to make this a portrait a day happen. But I also have to make studies for other things.
And make a new piece. I still havent finished the old ones I started. I automatically lose my energy once
I see them. Maybe it's time to start a new one and trash those.

wasnt able to post one yesterday because i was away. so i included it for today's post.
ok here's another quick one.

it's kind of a late post. but here it is anyway.

This one is done from imagination and I know I messed up the neck part hahaha
I'll fix that when I have time.

I'm actually proud of this one. I honestly think it's not so bad for something that's done from imagination.
I know a lot of work still needs to be done, and man, I'm so excited to learn even more.

I placed the precious portraits i did, side by side and compared it to this new one.

And I dont know man, I know it's not that big for most but this is a big improvement for me.
yeah.. so.. more studies are coming up so, tune in for that. Th_113_
Hey there, good work with that portrait from imagination! I'd say it looks pretty solid, only thing if anything is that the ear may be placed a bit too far back. Could just be me though. I'd say looking at the comparison image you did that you are definitely improving, so I'll just say keep at it.

@StardustLarva - thank you so much! I'll take note of that and review my notes more.
Definitely gonna keep this up.

Since I did a male face from imagination, I made a female one too. though this one had more mistakes, i think

i just tried to wing it hehe

And since I've been making portraits, I just had to make one of my own! Still a bit awkward for me to reveal my face though :v

This is the most decent self portrait of myself that i have ever done in my entire life. my god. studying
the whole week really makes a difference. but of course there's still so much to improve! So Im gonna keep learning and drawing.
Hey Shin! Great self portrait, so much better than all the photo studies - drawing a face from life / self is a much more emotion filled activity and it shows, I think you get more from those kind of activities. Hard to find people to pose and stay still for you though. Great imagination stuff too, love the little tuft of hair on that guys head. Remember to check proportions as you go (equal distance from brow -> nose -> chin etc.), and take short breaks every so often to come back and see it with fresh eyes.

I think the tried and tested ways of improving since Da Vinci's days were always master studies, still lives and self-portraits (amongst others but those seem to keep re-occuring in old master's practice habits). Could be an idea to do a self-portrait every day instead of a photo study, I think you can learn more that way (I am going to do this challenge myself, probably next week).

Keep going ^^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
@Jyonny As always I appreciate youre replies. There's always so much to learn from you :)
I don't think I could do a self portrait everyday xD But what I can try to do is have other people pose for me for a bit, maybe 5 mins and sketch them with the best of my ability

And I started that 5 mins sketch of portraits now! Though I used photo references for this one :)) Still couldn't grab some people to pose for me.

I'm gonna ditch my computer for this week and focus on my sketchbook. I did these in pen to build
my confidence in drawing my lines. And I don't want to just get better digitally, I want to be able to do things traditionally too.

I'm also going to study Form for this week cause it turns out I haven't fully understood what they are.
Thank you to Muro for giving me a couple of pointers :))
Just a quick update because I haven't done that again for days. Shouldve posted this days ago but
too busy to do so.

Some additionals to my 5 minute portrait studies and a new piece i started

I actually don't know how to move forward with this one. I don't know how the lighting will work inside a cloud or foggy place, couldnt find any references. I'm thinking of changing the composition completely too. I hope I can find the time to fix this, if not I'll just make that other piece I had in mind.

I also did some form studies, I'll post that one once I took a proper photo of it. The week has been tough because I kinda felt weird after leaving my computer to focus on my sketchbook.

I wonder how people find that balance in doing traditional and digital art.
Ok last post for the night.

A WIP of what I'm doing right now. I just had to draw it while it's still in my head. I'll work on this tomorrow when I get home. Hopefully the image is still clear in my head.

C&C are welcome of course. like what elements could I add to improve this? also what advice can you give when working on a limited palette? thanks in advance :D

Ok I'm back after being away for a whole month. I know. I feel so bad for not drawing for a whole month. 

But hey, past is past so It's payback time. I'll study study study study and study some more for the next days.

For now, here are some sketches. Because I havent drawn for a long time, I've been only making sketches
to give my hand some kind of warm up and remind it what it feels like to draw.. if that makes sense. 

For some reason the people I draw are starting to look older :v
Just some stuff I've been doing. I keep forgetting to update. Also, I should really go back to doing studies. 

This was the colored version of the thing i did from the previous post. Soooooo thankful to Jonesoda for
doing a paintover for this one [can be found by following this link ]

The tank drawing again. Trying to color. how to even color man idk 

And a new environment thing cause I really wanna learn how to draw them 

Though I should really just focus on one thing... :/   
I started studying Bridgman's Construction for anatomy, and man.. my way of drawing faces
is starting to change again. 

Of course I started out lost and confused. I got all frustrated when i didnt get something.
It was kinda tough at first, bat i sat through it. I drew and made mistakes over and over
but then it started making sense little by little. 

Then i included a few doodles too and tried to apply/mix it with my usual style. 
Still need more practice with drawing female heads though. And obviously more figure drawing haha 
I think that's what I'm gonna do next, as i continue drawing heads.  
Yeah head angles can be tough! It seems you're having problems with making the sternocleidomastoid a bit too wide and do not see the transition to the trapezius, it's a very delicate balance especially on girls cause you don't really want to define those muscles too much or they can turn out a bit mannish lol... You seem to get it well on your side views though, I think with just a little more practice you'll get the hang of it!
More Studies

I also did this today 
Idk how to progress with this one