Ricardo´s Art Journey
Hey Rick, you have some really good stuff in here! I'm really digging the caricatures and the rendering in your studies is on point as well as the different variations in the skin tones you use.

If I can offer a bit of critique (please feel free to critique me as well :) on the last concept character...the anatomy looks good, but the rendering and texture on everything looks very similar to each other. Like the pants, it's a bit hard to tell what type of material they are. If they are leather, then I could see the use of the bright highlights in the folds of the knees, but if they are cotton, then you could keep the values a little bit closer together while changing the hues slightly (like what you have on the thigh area). What material is the jacket?

The lighting is also a quite inconsistent. It seems like it's coming from her left (according to the face, pants, and jacket...but on the breast armor, it seems to be coming from above. On her right arm, there seems to be bounce light, but there's none on the jacket covering her torso on that side or the right leg.

Hope this helps a little and keep up the good work!
(09-02-2016, 02:19 AM)ChrisDMiller Wrote: [...] the rendering and texture on everything looks very similar to each other.  Like the pants, it's a bit hard to tell what type of material they are.  If they are leather, then I could see the use of the bright highlights in the folds of the knees, but if they are cotton, then you could keep the values a little bit closer together while changing the hues slightly (like what you have on the thigh area).  What material is the jacket?

The lighting is also a quite inconsistent.  It seems like it's coming from her left (according to the face, pants, and jacket...but on the breast armor, it seems to be coming from above.  On her right arm, there seems to be bounce light, but there's none on the jacket covering her torso on that side or the right leg.

Hope this helps a little and keep up the good work!

Thanks for the crit man! Now that you talk, yeah i see those issues, i was too much concentrated on finishing the concept that i forgot to address those essential issues.
The pants are a mixture of jeans with khaki, the jacket and gloves is like a velvet with some type of robust material, slightly paddled.  Maybe i should get rid of the harsh folds on the pants and make them softer as in the khakis, regarding the leather of the belt maybe, saturate a little bit on the right side.

The colour scheme was an image i found in characterdesigns of an asian lady with a gun, a strong light source from the right side, and added a left side rim light yet it´s inconsistent through out the model.
Maybe i should mimic the light of the photoref, bearing in mind that hers is like a corpet and the girl on the concept is more of a metal breastplate.

I was needing some fresh eyes to see the issues, thanks man!! I´ll go the extra mile with this piece.

Do you have any tips for rendering, till now i´m still struggling with rendering.

Cheers!

I´ve finished the saboteur lady concept a while back but forgot to post it, as well as the studies of materials.

Value studies of body types as well as natural light effect on skin.
[attachment=92298]
Sketches

I´m having a ton of fun doing Inktober sketches. I constrained myself to just have one theme; videogames.
F.A.N.G from SFV redesign. I think the design of fang is weak so i tried to turn him into a shoto baddass without losing his most characteristic traits.

Super Smash toon character fest

Gillius from Golden Axe

I´m open for suggestions of characters/games.

Bag full of Inktober sketches
Street of Rage Blaze

Link

Bomberman

Ganondorf

Pokemon Gym Battle

Dexter´s Laboratory

More Inktober sketches

Mai Shiranui

Powerpuff Girls

Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack parents

Samurai Jack again

Young Samurai Jack

The final Inktobers...
Mira from Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack again

Samurai Jack Josephine & Zeke

I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume you like samurai jack? :P.
Nice work dude.
One thing you might want to work on for a bit is gesture, I think some of these figures are looking really stiff.

@ Triggerpigking Thanks man! Nice tip, i´m trying to luce my gesture, as well as a few other areas and trying to break through. Yeah, i love the aesthetics of SJ.

I´ve made a very humble and quick study process in case it might help someone
[attachment=98026]
Value portrait studies
[attachment=98027]
[attachment=98028]
[attachment=98029]
[attachment=98030]
[attachment=98031]
[attachment=98032]
[attachment=98033]
[attachment=98034]
[attachment=98035]
Two unfinished editorial caricatures done a while back

Sketch based on the mood illustrations by Pacal Campion

Been focused on learning the secrets of the old masters, the Chiaroscuro, trying to nail the value and push shape, and slowly introduce colour once again into my studies.

It has been a while since i´ve updated the sketchbook. Lately i was working on a mock up project for the portfolio and tried to delve deeper into the old school concept art for 16 bit games to have some kind of inpiration.
One Piece has been a great source of inspiration as well, with it´s extravagant yet consistent character designs and plots.

Some of the designs;
The main character

Young protagonist and her father

The Akros Archipelago queen- Boss

Northern outpost ranger - Boss

Pyros the Guardian- Boss

Die Rotfüchse Waisen leader- Boss

The Silent Pragmatists leader- Boss (Final Boss?)

Achcauhtli the Scavenger- Boss

Inquisitors Platoon Lieutenant

Fallen Hero - Boss

Conclusion of the 2d platformer pitch.
Whole roster of characters.

Boss: Equestrian Inquisitors  Lieutenant

Boss: Twins

Hey, cool stuff here! Looks like you've been busy grinding the past few weeks. I have a few crits for the character designs, though. The boss that you have as the possible final boss doesn't scream "big bad" to me. In fact, I'd say he's the least unique character of your lineup, which could be interesting if you're aiming for him hiding in plain sight, but I think it's not very strong from a design point of view. I'd recommend having the final boss being the one with the most interesting, unique silhouette.

Also, as cool as all the designs are, they don't look much like a 2d platformer. Instead, they seem to fit more in an animated show or a movie. If you want it to be more like a video game, I'd recommend making fake screenshots, taking in consideration how the game would play. Could you maybe try pixel art? Or making dialogue bubbles like in here:

[Image: fire_emblem_awakening_50.jpg]

Keep it up, and good luck!

Thanks for the feedback ZombieChinchilla! I tend to agree the final boss design does not have that final stage look. Tried to incorporate a lesson i´ve learned from a character design video to avoid a stereotypical bad guy look. Not sure if it translates that well into the 2d platformer medium.
I have some level design concepts, not sure if i advance with them though.

Figure drawing studies

Studying Tangled

Studying DB

[attachment=101553]

Great stuff man, I dig those armor/clothing designs a lot.

Also be careful with the proportions on that bruce lee study, his arm looks mishapen around the biceps and armpit, you drew the shape under the armpit as more rectangular then circular.

Keep it up man. :)

Thanks for the feedback Triggerpigking!!

Landscape and figure thumbnails from personal roadtrips.

Sketchooking

And sketching from the awesome references provided by Lyraina.

Hey there! Finished this years Inktober. Started day 5 but kept doing those sketches daily.

Sketches and concepts for scrapped personal project.

Blade Runner sketches