Badbaddog's sketchbook
Great use of reference

Nice work, really like that piece with the girl holding a knife killin that demon monster thing. Hopefully you finish it up. I think it's got potential for a portfolio piece. Only thing is, she's kind of staring off in space. Maybe have her eyes focused on the creature a little more?
Duuuude...you got the juice! That last piece is awesome. You really nailed the expression on that kid, great treatment of the references. Its clear you have worked on your fundamentals to be able to pull that off! Are you self taught? or Classically trained to rock socks off?

Hey man, that illustration of the girl with the animal skull is really awesome. A lot of intriguing stuff in the picture, if I saw a book with that cover I'd definitely pick it up for a closer look!

I really like how you have this kind of cell shaded look to the hands, and the antlers on the skull feel like line work and you have these painterly lost / soft edges and stuff going on. Really brought together a lot of things in a cool way! Post up some more of your stuff more often : )

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Hey guys!

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I actually tried to finish the first illustration with the girl with the knife (oh wait...). Didn't make it in the first sitting, but will push it. Tried to apply the thing you guys were talking about - the blank stare, the blood and all. It actually matched the original idea quite nicely.

To be continued :)

Speaking of which, I'll try to be doing daily streams. I'm pushing myself to do more personal work. I'll be super happy to see you guys there (it's usually around 11 am UTC). Well, I just started today, but now that I told you... :D

Thanks everyone for the inspiration and see you around! ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ

PS:
@Kimona: I studied graphic design, but I started painting digitally like 3 years ago?
@Jyonny: I'll try to keep this thing updated now, especially with the streaming routine idea!

[Image: rUfiMf1.png]
Hey everyone

Stuff from today's stream

Streaming everyday 11 am UTC, come hang out!

Stuff from stream again
I guess I finished this one. I hate it already, so if I am to work on it any more, it's not going to happen any time soon :D
It turned into Evil Dead, too.
Have a great day guys.

Great job on that last piece! I hope to catch more of your streams  Thumbs_up

So much energy in your pieces!

I'd revise the last one character's expression though!

Keep it going!

Some great stuff here, good ambition, great use of reference! I think you are still using slightly too much white and black in your paintings, check out this video, might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr3hzsuolbU

Otherwise keep it up! : )

AlCo - will do, just have to give this piece a moment, I'm fed up with it for now :D
Whoa, Eristhe, this is great! Yeah, definitely have a problem with that now that I think of it. Thank you for the feedback! Watching the video NOW

Hey everyone,
here's some new stuff from the stream. Was super inspired by Caisne's beautiful linework in his recent character concepts, so tried some of that. Went for a digger/siege breaker/demolisher mech.
Also, a client asked to show him this kind of work, and I didn't have any around, so yeah :D

Also, I've been workin on this girl for a while now. Tried to make her look completely smeared in petrol. She's partly a machine I guess.
Studied some oil along the way and got my hands on an awesome tutorial on skin tone
(Thanks Eristhe!).
Wip

Cheers!

Hey guys
Tried something new and I just don't know about it. Part of me feels alright, then another part is OVERWHELMINGLY DEPRESSED about it.
So yeah, riding the bipolar rocket here today

Hello bad dog. Nice sketchbook, awesome to see that you are going pro! I'll be eagerly awaiting future posts. Your stuff looks great to me, now I'm wanting to play catchup LOL. So not much crit right now. Love the lineart on that mech.

I know how you feel about the bipolar rocket. I think that happens to us artists a LOT. I do something new, sort succeed at some things and fail at others, feel bad about my shortcomings while also feeling sort of good about the progress I make- and end up easily oscillating from feeling alright to feeling terrible. So... yeah. :,)

Just remember that you'll always mess things up when you try something new. That's the point of trying something new. It's how we learn. So don't cause yourself pain by beating yourself up about it! Keep up the good work.

BTW- how did you make that cool link to your SB beneath your messages? I made a plain boring link, but yours looks way more clickable, LOL. Never seen that before, it's quite clever.

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!
Hey
Thanks for the morale boost Sagittarius. Really appreciate your post! You're right, dammit, I should have known that by now but this shit is really intense every time. Huh.
I've sent you a private message regarding the signature. Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

I'm posting some stuff from today's stream, too

I appreciate any and all feedback! I have a big plan on hunting that one whale this year and I'm determined to get better!

Wow it looks epic. Great job!

Thanks PurpleScissors! Was trying to pimp it a little more, here's what I came up with:

Also, here's some stream stuff. Was going suuuuper bad at the beginning but it went on somehow.

By the way, I think I'm hitting a wall with my stuff. Tried to really push it with the lighting on the dragon, but it came out mediocre as far as light goes. Any advice on how to tackle learning light? Gotta do some plain air studies, methinks...

Cheers guys!

Hey man, friggin awesome dragon, such a great drawing and so much drama! I'm not as accomplished at painting as you but some things I picked up from Schoolism's Painting with Light and Colour course recently that might help you (if you have the $144 dollars for a years subscription, it's a really great course for pushing in those areas).

So basically, it's thinking about 'exposure' - deciding if you want to expose for light or dark, which area do you want the viewer to see more of. Then choose a value range - if exposing for light, keep the light and mid value areas closer together on the value scale and have the darks really dark, almost crushed together. If exposing for dark, have the darks and mids closer together and the whites pretty burned out with little detail in them.

For your painting, for me, I thought to expose for dark would be interesting since there is the shape of the body going around the corner that shouldn't be lost. I used some adjustment layers to lift up the pverall level of the blacks, and darken the mids so they are close together, but not so so dark in the darkest parts like you had it, then left the whites alone but limited them to the face / neck and the nearest rocks (to keep the light / dark / light pattern and make it feel more like the dragon is coming towards us).

This was a really quick and dirty example but hopefully you get some ideas from it. Basically just limiting the high contrast to select areas, not going so dark and using very slight value changes in the lower end of the value scale (a lot of old masters paintings have a very tight value range in the darks, you can show a lot with just tiny movements on the scale when it gets down the bottom).

[Image: SmfylQG.jpg]

Hope there is something useful in there : ) hope I can draw an awesome dragon like that someday ^^

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
Damn man, this is so awesome!!!
Seriously, thank you so much for the elaborate response. You're so right, the painting looks a looooot better. Uhh, I really couldn't bring those values together, even when I tried to shade him in a similar way, and I spent a lot of time on that. Damn, that's really impressive.
I will definitely look into this issue of exposure. Again, thanks so much for this feedback, it helped a lot!

Hey
Stream stuff. Tried to match colors better and limit the color richness in the darks, like Jonny said, expose to light (i guess? don't know the theory behind it too well).
There again, the darks brought the lights down, so they're pretty dull, too.
But tried to grasp that quickly so that's a fast light-sketch, maybe 2 hours. I think I'm gonna push it further tho since the comp came out pretty neat i guess.

Problem: how do you bring out interesting local color in such lighting scenarios???