Punky Sketches
I've been studying art seriously for about nine months. Currently trying to work on figure drawing/ anatomy, perspective and composition.
I tend to work traditionally, even when I do digital I start traditionally because I can't draw very well on my tablet.

I probably need a bunch of pointers, I'd like to illustrate children's books and graphic novels, currently saving up to get a one year sub to one of the online schools.

These are probably some of my better pieces or most recent, but I figure I should set a bar that I can improve from.

The first one is an example of my current figure drawing, really struggling with proportions still
[Image: inked_figuredrawings_by_punk_a_cat-d8y89fd.jpg]
[Image: july_11_15_2_by_punk_a_cat-d90ydac.jpg]

[Image: kitteh_aceo_by_punk_a_cat-d8wx5ct.jpg]

[Image: dandiehedge_002_by_punk_a_cat-d8wlmb8.png]

This was a random generator monster design, which I finally finished the environment for. Kinda feels off, and as I didn't plan the composition, but I'm trying to do more environments.
[Image: sewer_beast_by_punk_a_cat-d918nfe.jpg]

Hey man
These characters are really good. I can see you've already developed quite good gesture.
If you want to gnaw into the anatomy topic more, I suggest looking into Crimson Cadavers - an awesome group that popped up some time ago: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6578 . It consists of people focusing heavily on anatomy, providing critiques and resources. Check them out!
Also, welcome to Crimson Daggers! :)

[Image: rUfiMf1.png]
Thanks, will check out the group, anatomy is so hard \o/

Hey there, those are some nice drawings, but I agree with Badbadogg. Also You have the bad habit of symbol drawing (i.e you're drawing what you think you see instead of how it is in reality) & the forms are woonky too. Work on those. Keep posting. Would love to see more from you!!

Welcome to CD :) If you're saving for online class, Christ Oatley's painting drama seems a great fit for children book illustration, or magic box. It'll probably help you quite a bit to know how to illustrate animals well - in which ever style you favor.

Focus.
In addition to what meat said you can also check svslearn, since they recently turned into subscription model (13$ a month). Already suggested on the shoutbox, but check out drawabox.com really great for learning the fundamentals of drawing.

Look forward to see your progression :D
today’s timed figure drawings, and a couple of shape studies

[Image: july_20_15_5_by_punk_a_cat-d920nie.jpg]
[Image: july_20_15_6_by_punk_a_cat-d920no3.jpg]
[Image: july_20_15_2_by_punk_a_cat-d920nt7.jpg]
[Image: july_20_15_3_by_punk_a_cat-d920ny0.jpg]
[Image: july_20_15_4_by_punk_a_cat-d920o31.jpg]

[Image: july_20_15_1_by_punk_a_cat-d920o7j.jpg]

Hey, nice figure studies in the last post - keep it up!
Also love the idea of that dandelion-hedgehog :)

And thanks for dropping by my sketchbook! Btw., you should put a link to yours in your signature, makes it easier for people to find you :)

Hey Punk, nice start on your figures and I think those primitives shading exercises are good, keep them up! That hedgehog paint is very whimsical and cute. Great stuff.
As we all know hands and feet are very hard to do, so they will require some focused study on their own, in order for you to be able to pull them off in these full figure sketches (some you nailed, but some you didn't) so think about doing some of those. Ecorche drawings like in the crimson cadavars group will upskill you in quick time more than if you were only doing figure drawing, because you really start to get a sense of the underlying structure. We can all fake anatomy, even believably, but the more you know the more you can generate from imagination.

Great start!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Hand studies.. trying deconstruction. And some other random stuff.

[Image: july_21_15_3_by_punk_a_cat-d9264zs.jpg][Image: july_21_15_1_by_punk_a_cat-d92653h.jpg][Image: july_21_15_2_by_punk_a_cat-d92657r.jpg][Image: july_17_15_by_punk_a_cat-d91rwmr.jpg]
[Image: cat_lesson3_2_by_punk_a_cat-d92632s.jpg][Image: cat_lesson3_1_by_punk_a_cat-d9262ys.jpg]

Timed figure drawings, and timed hand drawings, plus ratty study
[Image: july_22_15_3_by_punk_a_cat-d92aswf.jpg][Image: july_22_15_2_by_punk_a_cat-d92asrv.jpg][Image: july_22_15_4_by_punk_a_cat-d92at0m.jpg][Image: july_22_15_5_by_punk_a_cat-d92asn2.jpg][Image: july_22_15_1_by_punk_a_cat-d92at5k.jpg][Image: july_19_15_by_punk_a_cat-d92ayok.jpg]

Punk! The chick in the middle of this... this this this:

http://img13.deviantart.net/db45/i/2015/...92asrv.jpg

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooahh <3

Bloody hell, if you keep studying, sky's really the limit. You already have a great understanding of proportion, srs.

Please keep going. Keep pushing and keep striving for that knowledge and understanding!

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
(07-22-2015, 08:33 PM)smrr Wrote: Punk! The chick in the middle of this... this this this:

http://img13.deviantart.net/db45/i/2015/...92asrv.jpg

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooahh <3

Bloody hell, if you keep studying, sky's really the limit. You already have a great understanding of proportion, srs.

Please keep going. Keep pushing and keep striving for that knowledge and understanding!

Wow, thank you :)
No intention of stopping! Gotta be the best I possibly can :D

Hey Punk :D
Great to see lots of work.

Are you using a soft lead pencil? If you are, you may want to start doing value studies too - and don't be afraid to dig in there and get those darker values out of that pencil :) Try and use the full range values it can give ya.

After you get used to shading with it, try to draw only in forms, and not in lines - it's a nice exercise to do before going into painting.

Keep pushing!

Those figures, and the one smrr mentioned especially are great! Just hands hands hands, but you are already studying those so you will start improving on them too. Really like the rat studies too. You have more knowledge than you give yourself credit for. Keep it up!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Ur pic is so cyooot omg... rats so cute, gopher thing is sooo cute... omg; some of those hand studies are NICE! try pressing hard on the contour lines with the pencil ;)

70+Page Koala Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-3465.html SB

Paintover thread, submit for crits! http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7879.html
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.882)]e owl sat on an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.[/color]
Wow nice start! :D

Great job an the hands, keep doing them! ;)
And I looove the cute mice you did <3

(07-23-2015, 06:36 AM)Ursula Dorada Wrote: Hey Punk :D
Great to see lots of work.

Are you using a soft lead pencil? If you are, you may want to start doing value studies too - and don't be afraid to dig in there and get those darker values out of that pencil :) Try and use the full range values it can give ya.

After you get used to shading with it, try to draw only in forms, and not in lines - it's a nice exercise to do before going into painting.

Keep pushing!

Yeah I draw with 2-3B leads, and try not to press too hard as I have wrist issues and the looser I can keep my grip the longer I can draw each day. I might bust out my woodless ones and try and do more value studies :D

Thanks so much everyone for the encouraging words, every time I hear someone say "it takes 5 years to move from the beginner stage, oh you might be professional in fifteen years" etc, I look at my work and think "shit I have to work HARDER" so having people say I'm going in the right direction is such a confidence boost.

This will probably be my last major sketchdump, simply because my gifted premium membership on dA runs out today, and I'm too bloody lazy to hand upload 5-10 pages each day. So I'll probably do snippets - one page of 5 odd rather than all 5 pages from now on.

Today was draw with my off hand day - mostly because of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z1682ZFvDo the first pics are mid drawing session with left hand - the first couple of figures are always really bad, takes a while to get my grip right and stuff, the others are fixed with my right hand. I was kind of surprised the first time I did this how bad my overhand drawing with my left hand is _ I can write sort of ok left handed, and how in the end it doesn't matter that much how shaky the lines are, the form is still kind of there.

Also, stupidly pleased with the coffee cup in the shading exercise - the first time I've drawn the damned thing and it doesn't look utterly wonky.

Please ignore terribly bad placement of female figure.. was not intentional.. I just fill a page, and don't care if the figures intersect, didn't even notice until I uploaded.. go me :/

[Image: july_24_15_07_by_punk_a_cat-d92k3ka.jpg]
[Image: july_24_15_06_by_punk_a_cat-d92k3fk.jpg]
[Image: july_24_15_05_by_punk_a_cat-d92k44v.jpg][Image: july_24_15_01_by_punk_a_cat-d92k4kj.jpg][Image: july_24_15_12_by_punk_a_cat-d92k2sf.jpg][Image: july_24_15_08_by_punk_a_cat-d92k3qw.jpg][Image: july_24_15_10_by_punk_a_cat-d92k33n.jpg][Image: july_24_15_11_by_punk_a_cat-d92k38z.jpg][Image: july_24_15_09_by_punk_a_cat-d92k2yn.jpg]