Deus Ex (wasgodx) Sketchbook!
Video 
Hello everyone. As some of you mkight now I'm a complete beginner, but I'd like to put on the forum my progress and everything I draw.

You can critique, I know you say "fundamentals", I know, I'm working on it :) This is going to be a hard and long but also amazing thing. Never been able to draw when I was little (at least I thought they were not worth it), but I don't feel like waiting more. I wanna feel proud when I pass away and say that I overcame something I'd never thought of.

For now, this'll hurt your eyes. It's ok. I have eye drops here. Kiss 

Right now I'm doing the exercises on Betty's book, and I'll also be doing exercises of ctrl-paint, perspective and gesture/anatomy. Every little word you say will encourage me to continue so don't hesitate :)

PD: When I get enough images I'll comp them on Photoshop every week-2 weeks.
PD2: I warned you about the eye pain.

12/08/2015
13/08/2015
TY everyone!
Hey, good to see you made a sketchbook here! It will be a good means to track your progress as well. First of all, I don't think you need to put your works under a spoiler (:
I think starting with Betty Edwards book is a good choice, as it teaches you to see! Good observation skills are fundamental to drawing.

I saw in the shoutbox that you are looking for advice on gesture drawing. I can recommend you to take a look at Proko.com! He made a very good video on gestures: http://www.proko.com/how-to-draw-gesture/

As I already said, I hope you'll enjoy your time here and wish you a lot of motivation and inspiration for your art journey! Keep posting!

SKY IS THE LIMIT

DeviantartSketchbook
(08-14-2015, 01:52 AM)Cyprinus Wrote: Hey, good to see you made a sketchbook here! It will be a good means to track your progress as well. First of all, I don't think you need to put your works under a spoiler (:
I think starting with Betty Edwards book is a good choice, as it teaches you to see! Good observation skills are fundamental to drawing.

I saw in the shoutbox that you are looking for advice on gesture drawing. I can recommend you to take a look at Proko.com! He made a very good video on gestures: http://www.proko.com/how-to-draw-gesture/

As I already said, I hope you'll enjoy your time here and wish you a lot of motivation and inspiration for your art journey! Keep posting!

Oh ok, it's just that the images might be too large or anything. When I get to the first week I think I'll merge them on a single image :) Thank you!

Thanks as well for the video. I'll see it in a while :)

Hope to see you around the forum as well :3
Great Start ! keep it up ! :)
Hey, so far so good man! Sounds like you've got some good resources to start from so now it's just a matter of chugging through them. Looking forward to seeing more!

Come tell me how to fix stuff in my sketchbook: Broadway's Sketchbook
Exercise of the pineapple from Betty's book:

Could've been better, but pleased. :)

would you like me to improve? check my SKETCHBOOKKiss
Good start dude. I agree with the others...get rid of the spoilers, and just post new updates. I really recommend you scale your images before you upload...no bigger than 1200 px, or people with slower connections will just get bored waiting around :) Keep it up

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
I see that you're reading betty edward's book!

It's a great start already! Really milk those books (I don't know if that's a real expression... but take everything you possibly can out of them), they're gold!

I bet that in about a month or two you will be feeling pretty comfortable with drawing! Best of luck!

Recopìlation of some figures and perspective I've done:

[Image: ssXPISb.png]

I'll continue mixing this with Betty's book. :)

Recopilation:

[Image: RIncGBX.png]

I'll be focusing on perspective and everything I can for environment. Critique is much appreciated, altho those are just basic shapes.

So long since I used my sketchbook. I have done an schedule now, so, here we go! I've done a colour study of a Jesse Powell painting. It's.. ok, I suppose. I do not know, but any critique is welcome!

[Image: AyyZapl.png]

In about an hour I'll begin to do a clothing study, although I do not know where to collect references. Have a good time guys!

Hi Wasgodx.  Nice study, you've done really well with the colours.  I like how you've written notes on top of the painting - I often write my notes separately but then I can't find them again so they're useless.  I should try this.

On clothing studies, it depends what it is you want to study.  If you want to study the way that fabric drapes and looks under different lighting, sometimes the easiest thing to do is to get a couple of pieces of fabric from your own house (clothes, curtains etc), drape them over a chair or other form and point a lamp at them.  Most people can find a few different types of fabric around their house.

If it's more the way that clothing fits on the body, I like to do studies from street fashion photography or even online catalogs.

For a specific time period or style, the internet is full of photography and people who like to dress up:
1960s Mens Fashion
Viking Clothing

And of course you can get all the history, too:
Viking Clothing history

So just pick what you want to study and go for it :-)
The color study is great, but I believe that if you practice value and edges first you will get better faster and then later you can focus on colors. Do some black & White photo studies, and focus on getting the right values of that photo. (This will help you to make better color studies later on too.)

About the edges, with hard- and soft edges you can define form a lot better, an example from your color study is the mountains in the background, in the original the blue/purple shading has kinda of an hard edge, while your study has more soft edges, which makes the whole mountain seem more soft, and the form disappear. I hope that make sense :)

With Black & White photo studies you can practice both values and edges at the same time, and make sure you take your time with the study to fully understand how values and edges work. This helped me alot, and still does! Hope you will find this helpful :)

Thank you Echo! :D
I have a lot of trouble with edges, actually, but I don't really know how to solve that. I will me making some values today after the gesture work, so I'll upload them as well :D

Awesome! Yeah edges can be tough in the beginning, I´ll make sure to stop by your sketchbook from time to time and see how you're doing, and give you notes if needed. Keep it up! :)

Well, homework from yesterday and today. Sadly today we had an unexpected visit and I couldn't warmup properly. Now I will be writing and getting Bloodborn art references for the Crucible! So I will show the value work here as well, probably tonight or tomorrow.

[Image: xW58Can.jpg]
[Image: d4dMilu.jpg]
[Image: OnJjiBd.jpg]
[Image: vc7ZVhy.jpg]
[Image: gjoKuLd.jpg]
[Image: uu1v5nq.jpg]

Any C&C is welcome!

Nice stuff, be aware of the proportion on the ones form memory, they seem a bit off, specially the legs.

Good stuff, yeah as Noir said the proportions are off on a lot of these, good idea on the warmups as well! I did'nt use to do that and it's helped a lot now that i've started doing so.

Nice stuff, dude! I'm loving that color study, got me inspired to work on color tonight. The figure stuff is coming along nicely. Be careful that you're still measuring before you do it in 3-D, though. When you do the flat diagrams I see you always measure out the head divisions, but it looks like you may have skipped them on the rear skeleton sketch, so the spine ended up being a little elongated. The proportions on the boxed-out figure on the right are pretty on-point, though!

Really nice start dude! If you want to get into perspective stuff I'd really recommend the foundation group. The resources are really affordable and of good quality. https://gumroad.com/foundation_patreon

Also "How to Draw" by Scott Robertson is really nice for perspective construction as well.

And as a free "alternative": http://drawabox.com/ - sweet exercises.

Hope it helps, keep drawing!