The Velvet Revolvers
Eyliana, thanks for the feedback! I want to see you post up something in here!!

Some stuff from recent days.

So im planning to do a fantasy illustration for portfolio. with the theme "white stag" so, thats why i've been studying girls and shit.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work dude, them torso's look really elongated to me though.

Anyway did my 13th head only one left now!(I know the last one was 11 but I looked back at my others and realized i'm terrible at counting XD).
i'm not sure if I should keep the sliver of light on the cheeks, the asaro heads say it's a plane and I have seen it on certain people but I've been told to get rid of it as it's muddying the values though i'm not sure if I agree..
Maybe I'll try just darkening it a lot, so it's still there but not as visible.

Also did some silly fanart for a show i'm watching called flip flappers.
Realized recently I have a destructive perfectionism attitude, I spent 5 hours before this on a different piece which still looks like a sketch(and a crappy one at that) because I just spent all my time bashing my head against a wall trying to fix it rather then just using that time to study the parts I was having issues with.

Plus it's making imagination drawing a lot less fun which is why I think I seem to go in and out of phases where I do almost zero imagination stuff.
So i'm trying to do some quick stuff like this more, just for fun not focusing on trying to get it perfect(obviously trying to fix it a bit but i'm not gonna spend ages doing so).

Also ribcages, another example of the perfectionist thing, i'm trying to create a diagram of all ribcage orientations and I just spent so long trying to fix these to look like their refs, in comparison I've started work on another one which is much farther along and looks way better.

Drawing I did yesterday. I guess there is improvement from about a year ago :)

Attached Files Image(s)

Lets see who sees this.... haha. 

Wanna start over?

Attached Files Image(s)

I want to draw your attention to how you don't round your form.Do you know what is a soft brush? You should use it to make the gradation on cylinder.I use the dodge and burn tool to fix quick what i saw as leak of roundness in the breach.How you indictated your plane it as if they where made out of polygone you want a softer gradation not just applying 3 tone and call it done.I also made sure to make some use of the texture to move the eye accross the trunk.You want to use contrast to bring the attention to where you want the focus to be.The could have been the root the trunk or the leaf here i choose the contrast and make a path with the texture of the bark.I also made sure to put a stronger core shadow under those root to anchor it down.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(09-24-2018, 12:43 PM)darktiste Wrote: I want to draw your attention to how you don't round your form.Do you know what is a soft brush? You should use it to make the gradation on cylinder.I use the dodge and burn tool to fix quick what i saw as leak of roundness in the breach.How you indictated your plane it as if they where made out of polygone you want a softer gradation not just applying 3 tone and call it done.I also made sure to make some use of the texture to move the eye accross the trunk.You want to use contrast to bring the attention to where you want the focus to be.The could have been the root the trunk or the leaf here i choose the contrast and make a path with the texture of the bark.I also made sure to put a stronger core shadow under those root to anchor it down.

Hey bro, Thanks for taking the trouble. A few things though, You should learn to be a little bit more polite.  "do you know what is a soft brush"  Is really condescending brother haha. Also you dont always want a soft gradation, sometimes things with a different texture dont react to light in the same way as others. I appreciate the paint over, but the way you rendered that form, looks like either the tree is wet, or it's made out of plastic.

I should definitely get better at plane changing indication though, that's for sure, I got a long way to go. There is some stuff on your paintover that I can tell does look a lot better, so thank you. :)

Listen though! This is a study group and i appreciate the feedback. Also I want to invite you to post in this thread, whatever you study or finished pieces. I'll swing by and share some feedback too. Hoping somebody else sees this thread as well, and jump in.

I'll never shy away from honest critic and i think it important that critism stay unfiltered as much as possible. I would never say something that would think would hurt someone artistic growth with my harsh critism i am full of good attention but something word can have stronger effect than you antipate.But i believe in ''positive'' trauma if such concept exist.You will never forget the soft brush now =P.See it as how friend love to tease each other.If i would have seen you irl i would probably had said it in a funny concending way if you see what i mean.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.